Where to get an amplifier bench tested

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2171
Anybody know, or had this done?

I would imagine most shops don't have the massive DC power supply necessary to do this. I have searched online but found nothing. I'm thinking maybe one of those amp repair places may be able to do it?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4244
a few shops near me do it. charge like $10-15 an amp. just call around maybe you'll get lucky and find a nearby shop that can. there a tweeter near you, they still do it i believe.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2172
Wow really? What I mean is testing the amp's actual output power, not just testing to see if it works.

Silver Member
Username: Solobaric4life

Post Number: 767
i had mine done a whle back at my local shop and my memphis prd1000, done upper 1200's

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2174
So the place actually had the power supply, scope, dummy load, etc? Damn, I guess I'll have to start calling around to shops around here, I didn't think any of them would have the equipment.

Thanks for the info guys.

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1371
most shops round my way dont do it..... they just test tha amp to c if it works LOL..... one guy said that equipment is xpensive like 4k or cant remeber but wont listen after he said he couldnt do it

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4926
Its not cheap to have the *RIGHT* equipment to bench amps.

If you really want an amp benched, contact Ralph (Owner of USACi)...he has a bench set up. It may take him like 3months to get around to testing your amp though.

(He set up a bench because USACi classes are based on power, alot of American Bass amps were considered 'cheater amps' so he wanted to shut down all the talk for good....kinda backfired on him though)

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2677
canaan where those the amps that ran at extrememly low loads? like .13 or somthing?

It would deff. cost alot of money for a good bench setup, resistors(dummy loads) oscilloscope, amp clamps, DMM's power supply's, ext... for the power supply alone the biggest ive seen only does like 50A so they may need a few of them in parallel to even supply the correct amperage while holding the constant 14.5V.. wires, outlet upgrades(to supply the power supply) ect...

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2175
Canaan, the amp I need tested is an American Bass VFL 200.1

Do you think Usaci could have already tested one of those amps and where could I find the test results?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4936
http://www.diald.com/usaci/index.php

Ask there.

It has been tested, it was one of those 'cheater amps'. Usaci rerated it 500w @4ohm for power class purposes....I'm not sure what it can to at 1ohm though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us