Crimping Power Cable Terminal Tips

Username: Jayem

Post Number: 3
What do you guys use to crimp terminals to 4 awg wire? I can't find any reasonably priced crimping tools that'll do the job, the only ones I can find are 6mm ratchet types which are unsuitable. The long heavy duty ones cost way too much.

Hammer good enough? How about a bench vice?

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Murray, KY

Post Number: 132
if u crimp one side of the terminal at a time it is much easier, it can even be done with the right pair of plyers

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2157
" How about a bench vice? "

That's what I use for 1/0, lol. But you should also solder the connection since crimping alone does not always hold real well, especially if you're using a vice and not a real crimping tool.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2158
http://www.bcae1.com/installationprimer.htm

Scroll a little less than halfway down the page

Username: Jayem

Post Number: 4
Thanks for that link MS, lots of useful info.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 11435
i normally use bench vice or vice grip.....

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 360
I crimp by inserting the 1/0 into the ring terminal, then laying it on the concrete and pounding it with a hammer, then wrapping it tight with electrical tape. After reading a lot of peoples suggestions on how to crimp 1/0, this seemed to be the most used method(believe it or not).

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2432
"" How about a bench vice? "

That's what I use for 1/0, lol. But you should also solder the connection since crimping alone does not always hold real well, especially if you're using a vice and not a real crimping tool."

Word.I told people that I have used a vice and still pulled them off with my bare hands on here and a few sally boys on here said I was full of sh1t.I personally use the set screw terminals but when I do have to use crimp on style I reccomend vice crimping,soldering and then electric tapeing the fugg out of it and pull on it to see if she comes loose.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us