Lights STILL dimming

Username: Bran1123

Post Number: 10
I recently had a 200 amp alternator built and installed in my car, and i got the big 3 upgrade. I have a MTX TA80001 1500watt monoblock, a kicker zx 650.4, and a 12" mtx 9500. My lights still pretty bad with the upgrades. What else should i do?

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 538
another battery in the back or try another amp. that one could be drawing too much current. check your voltage to see how much it is dropping.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12022
1500 watt class D amp. 150A current draw
50x4 class AB, 25A.

that's 175A of peak draw, plus 50-60A for your car's needs..
you could be right at the edge of what that alternator can supply.

put a meter on the electrical system and see if you drop below 12VDC when the lights dim.
tell me what you're dropping to.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12023
also, be sure your engine is revved above about 1500RPM

Bronze Member
Username: Bran1123

Post Number: 11
i think that meter was bad, i used a new one just now and voltage stayed between 12.8 and 13.2 at 2000rpms

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2139
Your electrical system is fine then. As long as your voltage stays above 12. Even with an HO alternator you will not eliminate light dimming, it is normal for the voltage to fluctuate between battery voltage 12-13 and alternator output 14.4

Most voltage regulators are just not fast enough to constantly maintain 14.4 volts.

Username: Lowrida89

Gold Coast, QLD Australia

Post Number: 3
Installing a capacitor will help to control how much power the amplifier is using from the battery which should fix your problem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us