Single Fi Q or Boston G5

Bronze Member
Username: Wrencher

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 22
I've been checking out different subs to find one that will fit the bill for what I need. I'm leaning toward a Fi Q10 or a Boston Acoustics G5-10. This is my limitation, I have .72 cubic feet of box volume. My amp is a Zed Audio Minilith rated at 600w at 1 ohm or 400w at 4 ohm. Though the Zeds will easily handle 1/2 ohm I'm not trying to push the limit here. I am 50 yrs old and I'm after SQ only, though I sometimes tax a sub cranking up Queen, ZZ Top, and a few others. This will be a single sub system so the sub has to be of great quality. I am not about to spend a ridiculous amount on my system but I wouldn't mind spending around 400 bucks to get something good. My box is large enough to go with a 12" but the volume is still only .72 so it has to work in that space or smaller. has anyone heard these two side by side?
My front channel are a pair of ADS 346cs powered by a Zed Gladius 75w x2. I could possibly add another Minilith to bridge the two but I'd rather not if I don't need that kind of power. This is going in a 92 Ford F150.

Silver Member
Username: Sheriff

Post Number: 381
Go with the Fi Q.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12594
both are good choices. got a chance to hear the G5 before and it sounded clean. haven't heard the Q in person but from what i read, it has nice sq as well.

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 168
i love the fi's but i think you should go wit ha boston acoustic g5 and get the passive radiator too, so its like a ported box, so you get more output, ive seen a 12" g5 with a passive radiator in a .5 cubic foot box and it sounded amazing

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 528
tc sounds tc-10 oem

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1278
I've only heard the G5 but it sounded great. I would defiantly recommend the G5

Bronze Member

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 25
I've never heard of those TC sounds so I checked them out and they look look very nice. I didn't see the 10" OEM you mentioned on their site. But one thing I forgot to mention is my mounting depth cannot excede 7". They do indeed look like they are excellant quality though. Could you give me a link so I can check them out?
Also, I am not familiar with passive radiators, could you provide a link so I can read up on them?

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 790
Out of the 2 Id go with the Q,never personally heard either one but the q would be alot cheaper. Or you could go with a w6,kinda pricey but have awesome SQ.

Bronze Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 38
http://www.tcsounds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1013

tHE TC

Bronze Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 39
Driver mounting depth: 7.5"
PR mounting: 1.75"

Recommended Alignments:

Small Sealed: 0.3 cubic feet
Large Sealed 0.6 cubic feet

Ported:
0.5-0.6 cubic feet with a single 10" or 12" PR

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2282
OEM FTW!

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1254
He said it can't have over a 7.5" mounting depth...

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1255
He said it can't have over a 7.0" mounting depth...

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio has got m...

Post Number: 1438
i say the Q.

i havent heard one but i used to run a 12" G5 for awhile with a kicker 750.1. nice sounding sub and built pretty good.

i own a pair of Fi BLs and the sound quality from both is very nice. i even ran one by its self with 2000 watts and it STILL sounded great.

Bronze Member

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 27
Thanks for all the input guys. Those TCs look awesome, I sure wish I could run one of those but I just don't have the depth to do it. If anyone else has any input I'd appreciate it because it will be a little while before I buy one yet.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 664
Sunny, is your truck regular cab?

What dimensions are your box?

I have a regular cab 96 F350, and am also looking for subs, although I have been looking at 6" deep max.

Bronze Member

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 30
Ya, it's a regular cab. I reupholstered my seat and removed the center fold down then made that space a sub box. I'm mounting the amps behind the seat on the rear cab wall. The sub box looks like a stock center fold down. I'm not sure how to post pics but I could snap a few to post if someone could tell me how.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 667
Pictures would be great!

Once you take your pictures, put them on the computer and open each one up in paint, make it smaller, and save it as a JPEG to make things faster/smaller.

Then, just click on the "Upload Image or Attachment..." button underneath the "Preview/Post Message" button and you're set. :-)

I've thought about going buckets and making a custom console but that's a lot of work...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us