IDQ's and Rap?

Username: Bad1301forlife

Post Number: 3
Hi there. I'm really interested in an SQ subwoofer that would play mostly rap out of the trunk of a BMW M3. I'd like 2 12-inch subs that would fit and wouldn't really "wake up the neighborhood" at the same time. I read a lot of good reviews about the IDQ and its SQ, however, it seems that Rap does not seem to be its forte. Does anyone have any actual reviews for this subwoofer and rap music? I'm actually on a tight budget so this subwoofer seems to be the only one that fits mine. (Other recommendations are appreciated) And the type of enclosure would also help as well (as well as where to fire it ie. toward the front or rear). Thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1116
I used to own an IDQ (until my g/f decided she wanted it) and they handled just fine on the very little rap and Bass Mekanik type-stuff I listened to on them, and every other type of music for that matter, but the IDMAX would be better suited for rap in a daily setup. You would be better off with Fi Q's or Audioque SD 2.5's for their unbeatable SQ/price ratios.

www.ficaraudio.com/
www.audioque.com/

Post Number: 4
I looked at the Fi Q's but their RMS (1000 watts) seems to be a bit much for me. I wouldn't really have an amp suitable to push that much. I don't want the subs to be uncontrollable. (Unless there is a good range of watts you could suggest for good output without under powering the sub.) And as for the IDMAX's, they are much too expensive to fit my budget.

Silver Member
Username: Solobaric4life

Post Number: 747
"I'm really interested in an SQ subwoofer that would play mostly"

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ, fi audo

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4240
since a pair of q's is to much power for you i'd say grab a pair of idq's and a kicker 750.1 and port the box low, about 30-32hz. should be a nice little setup, nice sq and decent output.

Post Number: 5
Haha it seems everyone likes the Q here. However my only concern is the right wattage to power the subs for good clean controllable bass that won't overpower the rest of the system. If someone could suggest a good range of power for pushing 2 12-inch Q's that might change my mind. And what kind of enclosure I should use with the subs in the trunk of an M3 and where to fire the subs. Haha I feel like I'm repeating myself every post, sorry.

Silver Member
Username: Solobaric4life

Post Number: 749
ohhh iom srryy, if u got around 500 wattsa u canget sd2,5, there good qs and spl

but 2 q's id use aroungd 2000rms grweat sq there

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1122
You could either do the config Mike said since the Q's need to much power for you or you could get two SD 2.5's like I said above, which would be fine for what you want with 500RMS per driver.

Post Number: 6
I actually did not mean that I wanted 1000 watts RMS pushing both my drivers. I meant that the Fi Q's RMS rating is 1000 watts. I think 1000 watts is much too overpowering for a small system in a coupe. What are your reviews on the Image Dynamics ID subwoofer line? Supposedly they are supposed to kick like IDMAX's but have less SQ, but much longer extension, which would be good for rap.

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1124
"What are your reviews on the Image Dynamics ID subwoofer line? Supposedly they are supposed to kick like IDMAX's but have less SQ, but much longer extension, which would be good for rap."

This is false. The excursion (xmax is a very misunderstood term) of the IDMAX is greater than the ID line. But IDMAX drivers are not cheap ($450+) and for the money you are much better off with a SD 2.5 for the money.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4798
wait wait wait........... have u all ever had in your hands an id max or a idq??? the idq its very comparable than the jl audio w6 with the low notes alot smoother...i installed a couple of them when the shop that i worked for carried image dynamics they are incredible woofers...

the id max its an incredible subwoofer one of the most efficient subwoofer and extremely very rare flat response with no unwanted peaks....

and the idmax are more musical than the idqs but with lots of more splwiht one of the flattest curves responses that many subs can do..... the idmax are so efficient that with only 400 rms that will shake like hell..

if ur going with image dynamics juzz go for it ull be in good hands also the id max there are no longer being made however there are some stores that still have them... ifu can get your hands on a id max juzz go for it....

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4241
who said they aren't making them anymore? id told me they still make them.

Post Number: 7
haha i've only actually heard the IDMAX in person and they are very VERY good woofers. except that they cost a little bit on the expensive side (450 i think on ID's site). they are also very big and from what I hear won't fit in my trunk correctly. as for your review on the IDQ's kingrob, if you say that the IDQ's are a lot smoother with low notes than a JL w6(which i've also heard and is a very good sub), then that's all i needed to hear.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4799
we were the dealer and they told us they wills topp making them because they will be designing a new woofer... thats why alot of companies started carrying id and why u think its so hard to get a good id max...the only that has its like woofers ect and some used ebays...

but if ur goign with sq the phoneix gold will compare very much with the idq and the w6 for alot less money the pg octane r z rated willsuit your needs with great clarity and they will get alil louder than the idq and the w6...

i have 6 pgs in my turck for sq and umm i luv it...

ull be better with the pg octane zr and those are alot less money :-)

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4242
i've talked to id several times about the status of the idmaxs' and every time i've been told they are still making them and they have no plans on stopping them for awhile. they said there to busy with the new idq lines and other stuff coming out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us