Inline keeps blowing!

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 439
I have been through 4 inline fuses now and am out of them. Why does it keep doing this? I have a kx1200.1, do you think I need a bigger inline fuse? I'm not sure how big mine is now, but what size would you guys suggest? Also, Would it be ok to splice the new inline into my 4AWG power wire? Let me know please, Thx!

(Oops for posting in subwoofer section)

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4231
how does it blow as soon as you hook it up or as soon as the amp comes on, when your playing alot of bass....

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
i was bumpin from school and i got 3/4 of the way home and subs kicked off, i got home and checked inline and it was busted.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 512
gain too high, or improper settings

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
yea i just found that out. What kind of inline fuseholder would you suggest to splice into 4awg power wire? CC has an inline for $60, but i said phuck that.

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1265
Let me guess...you're using an agu fuse? Biggest agu fuse is 80A and with 4awg wire, you need a 120A anl fuse (and anl fuse holder). I just got done upgrading, maybe I can give you something lol

Let me know what kind of fuse/fuse holder you have now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
well, my amp says i need a 150A fuse. And i just ordered a Tsunami ANL fuse holder and will put a 150A in there. It cost me $23.50 worth of amazon giftcards, and circuit city wanted $60.00! Thanks tho Oleg.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1268
You made sure the holder accepts 4awg wire, right? Knukonceptz.com has a "mini anl" fuse holder and fuse for $7.99. I used to have it before, but lost it I guess. It's $13 shipped.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=FH-44

Silver Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 192
can't go wrong with knuconceptz products too bad you already purchased the other one

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
this one was pretty much free cuz of giftcards, and the fuse is for 4/0awg wire.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1280
That's fine then. I just want to make sure you know that the inline fuse close to the battery is to first and foremost protect the wire. The fuse size depends on the wire and with 4awg, biggest one recommended on www.bcae1.com is 125A - ANL fuses come in 120A size, so don't stick one in with a higher rating.

Silver Member

Post Number: 445
In the Kicker Manuel for the KX1200.1, it recommended the 150A fuse for this particular amp, so shouldnt i just stick with that, or downgrade to 120/125A?

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1282
The fuse close to the battery is to protect the wire and it overrides any other fuse requirement. In other words, it's not really "safe" to put more than 125A of current through 4awg wire - it may catch fire. You can't be using larger inline fuses by the battery until you get bigger wire gauge. I went through the same thing and had 120A fuse with same wire size. Now that I upgraded to 2/0awg I can run larger fuses - over 300A I think, but I stuck with 250A one just because it was cheaper.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2130
You can't use a fuse larger than what is recommend for your size wire. The purpose of the fuse is to protect the wire. If you amp calls for a larger fuse than what your wire takes, you need bigger wire.

If you stick in a fuse larger than 125 amps, you defeat the purpose of having a fuse. Don't do it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 447
Well I dont want a fire under the hood, that can't be good, so am i safe from fire if i get a 120A fuse with 4 AWG power wire?

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
$hit i just found out my power/ground wire is 8 AWG.. LMFAO! I gotta go get different $h!t, do you guys think 2 AWG wire is suffice, since its cheaper than 0 awg wire for my kx1200.1?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2136
Yes.

And 8 awg lol thats way to small

Silver Member

Post Number: 449
Lmfao @ my dumb A SS. Im short on dough, but ASAP, i gotta kunozcept or however the phuck you spell it on order. Inline, 0/1 Power/Grnd for $69.99.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1283
You mean 1/0 awg? If you get the kolossus 1/0 from knu, like i did, it's equivalent to 2/0awg - thick sh!t. Now, we go back to our other debate whether kicker's 150A fuse is necessary.

With your 1/0 wire you can stick a 300A inline fuse by the battery and if you do that, then you also have to fuse the wire close to the amp. If you just use the 150A fuse by the battery, you may not need the second fuse by the amp.

So did you order the klm or the kolossus cable?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us