Tuning frequency roll-off

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1245
A box tuned to 45Hz would have trouble playing 32Hz notes and when it does play them - it's not loud and sounds crappy. On the flip side, a boxed tuned to 32Hz would still play 45Hz note pretty well, although not as loud as the first box. I know the rolloff is steep for ported boxes in the lower frequency direction, but is it not as steep in the higher frequency direction?

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OK

Post Number: 255
my guess is that it would play much more of the higher frequencies than it would the ones below its tunage

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2623
I think it would play above its tuning better, but not so good below its tuning. You have to keep in mind the overal;l tuning after what your ride itself does to it..

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3137
ok if you go under tuneing the sub will think its free air so its mechnical power limits will be reduced drastically so the sub will most likely bottom out, this though depends on the sub like DD says 40hz tune thats because they use very stiff suspension so the can handle to higher tune, boxes tune lower useally have lower spl reults, like a box tuned to 32hz will be louder at 40hz than a box tuned to 30hz. and also remeber that a box will naturally tune lower once you put in he car, like a 35hz box will tune to be around 32hz in car.

Bronze Member
Username: Spfld_b

Post Number: 20
if you play like 1 or 2 hz lower than the tune of the box will it damage the woofer??? And how does it get tuned from 35hz to 32 hz when its put in the car??? just wandering

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4247
oleg, no the slope is not as steep going above as it is going down.

kimbo, if you play below your tuning 1-2 hz you should be fine. learn how to set your SSF and you'll have no worries. the tuning changes when in a car because of the cabin size mainly. also, if the port is near the rear hatch or something that can change tuning. there are many variables

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1252
Cool, that's what I was looking for.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2746
Depends on a lot! I have had a few boxes tuned to 40hz/38hz and able to play 20hz tones all day long. I have never bottomed my subs out not even my sx15 and it was in the same box under 2500+rms. A well designed/built box will allow for a greater array of frequencies, more flatter responce throughout said range. Just remember there is a difference between f@rt boxes and daily drivers. Polo. :-)

BTW- My SSF is set to 25hz with a 18db/octave slope and the LP is set to 70hz with a 12db/octave slope, box peaks at 38hz.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 147.8 db Mov...

Post Number: 3392
"BTW- My SSF is set to 25hz with a 18db/octave slope and the LP is set to 70hz with a 12db/octave slope, box peaks at 38hz. "

want a cookie polo???

Bronze Member
Username: Spfld_b

Post Number: 23
so does that mean that it can tune higher than the box tuning depending on the car you put it in?

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1253
Yeah, car's resonant frequency affects the tuning.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2748
What was that Drivin? STFU you coil rubbin HO! :-O

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 122
When a sub is played below its tuning Fq the port actually fights the output, so more power is necessary for the volume you want. SO if you want it loud lower then the tuned Fq then you gotta feed it a good amount of power, and thats how people bottom the subs out is by asking for more down low when the sub has the port fighting it and reducing its output.

Its fine to play lower then it, you just need to realize that youll get less output and just keep that in mind.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us