Bass Cab?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2397
I was wondering if you might be able to use car audio drivers (or pro audio since the difference isn't huge) to build a bass (guitar) cab like say 2 Fi BTL 18s on 5000w RMS total be able to fill a *large area* with >40hz, >110-120dB output?

Maybe I should go the more traditional route with good pro drivers.

What they have right now is a little 12" which tries to fill a large area...so...

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1081
Nah man those are two different animals. The main issue is that car drivers lack the ability to reproduce the mid-highs (3-6k+) that a bass amplifier needs. Without that snap a bass guitar sounds like shit. Eminence is what most bass amp manufacturers are using nowadays, but if you want to go more high-end you could look at JBL, EV, Fane and Beyma.

http://www.usspeaker.com/

Gold Member

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2398
Yeah that's what I might've figured. I could just use a JBL 2242H (or 2241H) since it seems fitting and I could probably add a driver to take care of the "snap" range.

Woof Woof:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=294-460

Tweet Tweet:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=270-145

Amplify: EP2500(1500w)? XP5000(Overkill)?

I just figured if I were to slap them in a good enclosure it just might work with 2.5khz crossover? It'd be fun if I had a bass amp that could really jam for the prices together + fees so if I put all I've considered together if I add a little for safety it'd be almost $1000 with 7% added. I think it'd be pretty light and small compared to what you can buy for the same price (that's the point, stay small).

It doesn't matter right now since it'll be a while before I actually do anything. I haven't even considered tone controls and all that. I might go learning about bass amps and controls so I can know what to do since I'd rather DIY a bass amp since the pro ones can't really get into the 30's with extreme authority.

I'll just do more research on it...ha!

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1083
The 2242H is the low-end section of my onstage monitor and that thing kicks my ass every night when we are on tour. I started wearing some ER-20 Hi-Fi ear plugs a few years ago because the SPL at my drums is usually 120dB+ and I could sense some hearing loss in my left (monitor side) ear, as well as headaches and serious ringing.

And yeah, a horn tweeter is an option but I prefer the sound of a woofer that has an upper range. Most bass amps I have heard with a horn have a kind of artificial sound to them that I don't like too much. There is something about the "roundness" of a woofers high end nearing it's cut off point that is pleasing.

That Yamaha EP2500 amp would be beautiful for a bass amp combined with something like this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BBEBMAX

As far as Behringer goes... just say NO. A good amp head to research would be the Ampeg SVTII:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-SVT2-Pro-Series-Amp-Head?sku=481711

Gold Member

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2399
I'm sorry but I'm going to die (that just might be literal) if I spend that much on an amp. I wish I could, but I was hoping to keep prices down. I know you're a musician and all and you know what you're talking about, so I'm guessing you know what maybe would be a usable amp (great pre-amp, just what I was looking for ) that doesn't cost more than $500 (to me, not retail) or maybe a couple hundred more. Don't I just need a good rack amp that can supply 300w-1000w?

I'm modelling drivers ATM.

Gold Member

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2400
With a 1000w input, the 2241H models slightly over 103dB at the bottom note of the tuned 4-string bass (105dB in the upper range of the bass) and a little over 101dB at the bottom note of the tuned 5-string bass. The 6-string bass isn't much of an option since now it's down to 94dB here. Mind you this is all modelled for the people out in the middle auditorium. If I model for the back of the room it models in the low nineties max output for bottom 4-string note. If you go to 6-string bottom note it models in the mid 80s. I consider a level of 85dB-20hz pretty loud for the balcony.

Now sitting right by it, I'd be feeling ~130dB max output from my own playing sitting right by it or a bit less if not.

If I remodel it for handling 4-string only and make it a 10 driver stacked cabinet I can get a nice output of 150dB-40hz where I am and 110dBdB-20hz in the balcony. NOW THAT'S POWER If I retune it and "modify" a little bit then I can get 150dB-10hz POWER at the balcony and I'll be killing myself standing in front of it.

In all seriousness though...If I get that pre-amp, 2242H (or a driver w/higher rolloff freq), and a strong 8-ohm 1000w (maybe 500w), then I should be good...right??? I still have a good amount of time to get it slapped together. I must tell you this is for jazz band.

If you haven't noticed, I sorta like shock value. I want to walk in first day jazz band with a big 18" 1000w (maybe less) quality bass amp and have everyone say "OMG HS!" (actual words though) and be all nervous when I hook it up and turn it to maximum output (before distortion, damage) and plunge out a 42hz open E and knock everyone's instruments off the shelves in the instrument room with 125+dB power and pop all the ceiling tiles out of their places. Ok I may be exaggerating to an extreme, but hey, I would probably actually get something that could do that if I could afford it. This still belts out a lot of power even though I haven't focused much on quality...but I guess I could look for other woofers that'll hit that 6khz snap. Maybe I could add in a little (a good one, maybe Beyma) 6" driver to handle those 1khz+ tones to maybe bring the snap alive.

Seriously thanks for the recommendation of the pre-amp. I had been trying to find one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us