Need help wireing an amp

Bronze Member
Username: Kanishka

Post Number: 19
Hi
i got a 1000 W kicker amp and a 800w RF amp both are mono blocks, and i am planing to buy a 2000 w subwoopher, not decided what to buy yet. but it'll be more than 2000 Ws.

can i power my new sub using both amps. or do i have to buy a new amp ?

i have seen people conecting more than one amp and powering subs, but not done this yet.

please let me know if it's possible and if yes how to do it. what should i look for b4 doing this

Bronze Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 41
you cant connect 2amps to one sub, it wudnt be recommended. i wud say for now use the 1000w cos ur looking to get sum big sounds and u need to upgrade things like ur battery and alternator b4 u can hit 100%. i would say at the least get a heavy duty battery for now and slowly get money together for a high output alternator. you should also make sure that the wires u use are the right gauge, i would say at least 4 gauge but obviously the bigger the better.

however all this depends on the RMS of your amp/sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
thanks Walye for the reply, if my sub is DVC. can i connect one amp to one connecter and the other amp to the other.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4180
yes you can use 2 amps on a sub regardless of what the other guy said but it's not recommended especially in your situation. do not connect 2 different amps to that sub, you'll just ruin the sub very quickly.

Bronze Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 42
i'll be honest with you i got no idea what DVC means, but if you're amp is a stereo amp then you can connect one sub to left and another to the right but again ud be sacrificing power.

if you wanted you could connect up both amps and one sub to each. but this will definately cause probs with your alternator not being able to keep up with the power demands of the system leading to alternator failure or one day u may try to start ur car and ur battery is dead but only if your using the standard battery/alternator.

to be honest its not worth the hassle of going big from the onset unless u got the money for all the aditional hardware. i went through this kinda fing myself cos i dint know any better, from a budget of £200 i ended up spending £350 total for all the extras.

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 844
^"i'll be honest with you i got no idea what DVC means"

Than don't give info if you do not know.... JMO It means Dual Voice Coil and that is a beginners term...

The only way you could hook up two amps is if they were both exactly the same and set exactly the same. I would say don't try because even with same amps and same settings, they still won't be exactly perfect and it will ruin the sub and not sound good...

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 846
You would be better to try to "strap" the amps instead if possible... JMO

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1222
I agree with sinful, but i've never seen strapping amps of different brands. You got ideas, sinful? If they're strapped, at least each coil will receive equal power. I'm not exactly sure of the repercussions of having different power supplied to each coil though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
ok thanks i will not do it, better buying a new amp.

my sub is like 2000 W and the amp is like 1000W. this will not be a problem right.

i know i will not get the full power, but it's not bad for the sub or the amp right

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1229
Not if you don't clip the subs to death.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us