How many watts off a 200 amp alt?

Bronze Member
Username: Technique24

Post Number: 38
Alright well I was planning on getting this HO alt from iraggi:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200amp-Iraggi-Alternator-90-02-Honda-Acura_W0QQcm dZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ019QQitemZ7959197469
And I'm just wondering if it would be enough to supply about 2400W of power, or if not whats the max I could run?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1051
http://www.powerstream.com/Amps-Watts.htm

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 968
im fixin to put 2800+ on mine.. but i have the big three and gettin some more batteries

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 1047
It depends on the fuse rating on your amp

At 12 volts if it is 2400 watts rms it will be a 200 amp current

Ohms law told me this, but if it is 2400 maxx that should be fine

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2094
^^^^ You can't calculate it that way

The alt's job is to keep the battery charged. And it will be fine with that amount of power.

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 319
Technique: That alt will provide plenty of power, but I would still replace the stock battery with something like an Optima Yellow, Deka Intimidator, or a Kinetic 1800. Also, make sure you upgrade all your wires to 1/0(0 gauge).

What 2400w amp are you going to run?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2725
Nothing delivers more power than a standard cranking battery. A deep cycle is great if you plan on running your system without the car running but if not or at least until your batteries are dead then standard cranking batteries will work better. I would but the largest cranking battery up front and if your worried about fumes then use a AGM-type battery in back. On 2400 rms I would have at least 2 batteries, 200A alt is borderline... JMHO. Polo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Alright thanks for the help guys. The 200A alt was the highest I could find for my car, if I found something higher I would get it, so I hope it'll be enough. And matt, I am actually planning on getting a 2000W amp and running another 400W for comps. I was looking into the RD 1750. I definitely plan on replacing the stock batt as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
And Polo how does the second battery help?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2566
you can run 50K off a 200A alt.... if the batterys are supplied but just dont expect the alternator to last long at all... think about that one.. lol

A second battery helps by adding a bigger reserve of power to your electrical system... more amperage to.... batterys in paralel = more amperage.... i dont really see how it would help the alt though since the batterys ask for what they just put out..... so if your pulling 300A form your batterys they ask the alt for 300A but only really get about 200A... but it would help so that your batterys dont die as quick, have a longer life, and allow the amps more power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us