Quick question

Bronze Member
Username: Technique24

Post Number: 29
Would a short run of 4 awg wire be sufficient for a 2000W amp?

Silver Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 624
i wouldnt do it i would atleast one run of 1/0 if its a true 2kw

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2081
Only if that amp takes 4 awg wire which I highly doubt. If it does, then it doesn't produce 2000 watts. Always use the gauge of wire specified in the manual.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
So if I had a run of 1/0 from the batt, and needed to power 2 amps, one 2000W and the other about 400W whats the best way to wire it?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2083
You'd have to run another power cable. Or put a battery in the back, run the 1/0 to it, then run cables from there to the amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Wow more then I wanted to do, ok thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 625
dont be lazy when it comes to car audio do it right and ull like it do it cheap to quick and ull regret it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
True JB, if I have to do extra stuff I will, I just wasn't expecting to. Always more money you gotta throw at it. Anyway I just found out about bcae1.com and I came across a very helpful calculator that I want to make sure I am understanding. Here it is
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/wirepowercalculator.swf
Now according to this as an example with a class D amp at 70% efficiency, with a 5 feet run of 4 awg it tells me the maximum power is about 3800. So doesn't that mean I should be fine running 2000W as long as it isn't too long?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2324
"So if I had a run of 1/0 from the batt, and needed to power 2 amps, one 2000W and the other about 400W whats the best way to wire it?"

Run your 1/0 wire from the batt into the back and then install a distribution block and then branch off from there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Thats what I was planning on doing, but the kit I have has a 1/0 awg to 2 4 awg, so I need to know if a short run of 4 awg will work for both amps. That calculator says it should be enough but I want to make sure.

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 437
I would definitly say run two wires from the battery to the back. It isnt that difficult, running one is just the same as running two. One at 1/0 Guage and the other at 4 guage. Saves money in the long run with the disribution block and all that anyway

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Yea its not about it being difficult, it was jus I already had a kit with one long run of 1/0 gauge with a dblock outputting 4 gauge so I was planning on using just that. But if it would be better to just get another long run of 4 gauge and leave the dblock out I will. I just hate having to waste it.

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1121
Well, if someone more experienced wants to tell me off, go for it. However, you should be fine runnning 1/0 guage from battery to distribution and then run 4 guage from distribution to amps. (Just like Rob said)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
I already have everything I need to do that so I guess I will try that, and if Im not getting enough output from the amp I will go head and wire an extra run of 4 gauge.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us