Charging ??....who thinks this will work...

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1683
Ok we had a big discussion bout 16v set ups and stuff like that a while back. I think I've decided I may want to do one....kinda. What I'm thinkn would work sumthin like this....
I would order a HO 16v alt and mount it using dual mounting brackets, keepin the factory one installed also. The factory alt would be exactly the same as it had always been, 14.4v charging the stock batt, and powering the stock stuff(includin my HU and comp. amp).
Next the 16v alt would b installed, From it I would run 4/0 to the rear for positive and negative. In teh back I would have 3-4 16v batts powering 2 Memphis 4kw's. The 16v would never be hookd up to power ANYTHING other than these 2 amps.
Basically I'm thinkn that this should create a completely separate circuit from the stock electrical (it wouldn't even b frame grounded), so there would be no need for isolators or regulators, and I would still keep the stock alt and batt in place, while having a 16v power source for my 2 sub amps. Only thing that will be touching between the 2 is the belt that powers em. Sound like it will work??? I haven't noticed anyone doin this, but I thought it could be worth a shot unless I'm skippin sumthin....theres a pic below that may help, hopefully it don't jus confuse u anymore than I hav lol.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Northomaha

Post Number: 320
that makes alot of sense. i like that alot. you would get the maximum power out of your amps that way also. are those 16 volt batteries cost a lot more? this way if you can avoid any chance of ruining your stock charging system running such high wattage amps. Id bet youd get 4500-5000 watts with that high voltage.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 872
around 6400 rms each amp DAMN if 80% efficient 12,800 what subs u gonna be powerin

Were u gettin the 16v and brackets if this works 4 u i mite just try it lol

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1685
1 DD9918, the amps would b strappd to .7ohm for burps. only one would be used during daily play tho.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1086
damn thats gunna be loud

Silver Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Funky Town, TX United States

Post Number: 417
Dang I dont know waht to say, I really think that would work or atleast it sounds like it would.

Silver Member
Username: Northomaha

Post Number: 323
you sure you couldnt get two DD 9518's im assuming that would be louder.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2015
You can absolutely run a system like that, and you're not the first person to.

The hard part is the dual alt brackets, IF it's even possible on your car. Make absolutely sure of that before buying any other 16 volt equipment.

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1687
So as long as I can mount dual alts, it would b perfectly fine to do that? I believe i can get dual alts, I emailed Iraggi and he sent me a pic of some installed.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12438
that would be insane man. but you gonna need more than 4 batteries if you plan on running 2 memphis 4kw's at 16volts with below rec ohm load.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2017
" So as long as I can mount dual alts, it would b perfectly fine to do that? "

I have seen it done before

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1688
sweet man. Now i jus hav to save up for it. Where could i get sum good 16v batts?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2021
I know Kinetik makes some but I'm sure there are others
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us