HU and gain

Bronze Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Post Number: 85
i am getting extremely frusterated about adjusting gain on my amp and getting it right without clipping it. i got my subs(2 12'' SD2.5s) and my amp(rockford P6002) i had it hooked up to a mtx 7500 and it fried because i was dumb and did not use the gain and bass boost correctly. when i get my new subs and get it all hooked up im not going to even plug in the remote bass boost this time. so i was wondering if i could adjust everything on my HU to how i want it. (loudness on, bass at +6, custom EQ, HPF-80,LPF-80...etc) then turn the volume up to 40 out of 62. play an 80hz test tone, use a DMM to measure the amp output. then turn the gain up to reach 300-365wrms. which would be about 24-25volts. then if i were to ever want to turn the bass down a little to reach better perfomance on certain types of music i could do that. which is why i dont understand why putting the bass boost at 0 and other stuff would help anything cause if u ever wanted to turn the bass up u would start to clip the amp by going above the 0 mark. which is why i think it would be a good idea to tune your HU to how you would normally listen to it so then u could never clip the amp unless u turned the volume above that 40 mark. doesnt that sound right or.........? i mean if u set everything at 0 and at flat for EQ then after u adjust the gain your gunna want to change the treble, bass, EQ..etc, on the HU, which would result in clipping. right?????????????
would this be a proper way of setting gain?
and should i use a 80hz tone or a 50hz tone for measuring voltage?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2010
This tutorial will explain how to properly set your gain:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

And yes bass boost on the amp should be at 0 also. Sub level on the HU should be all the way up (if HU has that feature). Ignore the voltages table in the tutorial, use this to calculate the voltage needed to set your gain:

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us