Will this cause clipping/extensive heat?

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 367
I have a KX1200.1 that was just ordered last night and 2 alpine type R's. I have 4 gauge power wire and ground wire. Am I at a risk?

Also, I never got a clear answer as to the type of fuse I need for this amp. Since there isnt an internal fuse, must I splice a fuse in close to the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1992
4 gauge wire should be ok for that amp. And the power wire only needs to be fused near the battery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
and just a ballpark figure so i dont set the gain too high, DONT GET ANGRY AND GIVE ME THAT LINK IVE SEEN 9999999 TIMES! ;) About halfway, or 1/4 or 3/4? Just roughly, and the subsonic filter should be off as well right, as well as the xover?

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
Also, would this be a better option for me? If i got a ground wire that was 2 gauge instead of 4 gauge, and was shorter than my 4 gauge wire. I could prolly get the wire for free, but my power would still be 4awg. Would this cause less heat and just overall be better?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2000
Wouldn't make a difference if the power wire is still 4 gauge.

Subsonic filter ON. Crossover at 80-100 hz whatever sounds best to you.

And, apparently you don't know how to set the gain so I'm gonna give you the link:

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

You can't just pick a number like 3/4 or 1/2 and set your gain to it. It is different with every amp and HU, you have to do it the right way. What is so hard about that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
It says 34.6 volts, but i have no idea what that means

"Disconnect speakers.
Turn your gain/input sensetivity all the way down. Turn off bass boost and any crossovers.
Turn on your head unit. Set the volume control to 3/4 of full. Set all equalization and bass/treble controls to zero. Turn off loudness and BBE processing.
Probe your amplifier's outputs.
Insert your tone CD. Select a tone within your amplifier's playing range.
Play your selected tone and adjust the gain until you reach your target voltage.
Reconnect your speakers and verify proper operation. Set crossovers and adjust levels for proper tonal balance. "

Disconnect my speakers, meaning subs?
Probe amplifier outputs?
Test Tone CD?
Amplifier Range?
Whats my selected tone?
Target Voltage (34.6?) How do i know once it hits that number?

"Wouldn't make a difference if the power wire is still 4 gauge. "

-So are you saying I should switch to the shorter ground wire... the 2 awg one?

I dont know what 90% of the things mean above in the "setting gain" part, thats why I wanted to avoid it.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2006
I meant the bigger ground wire won't make any difference if the power wire is still 4 gauge. So it doesn't matter.

As for setting the gain, JL audio has a great tutorial on how to do it. In this tutorial, ignore the part with the charts with voltages, those are for JL audio amps. Use the link I posted above to calculate the voltage you need to use.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 460
MS i set my gain already but im not really sure after glancing at the tutorial u gave john what exactly probing your amplifier outputs means? can you clarify that? or should i just forget it and use the JL one?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2022
The JL link spells it out very clearly with pictures and all..... it's when you connect the DMM leads to the speaker output terminals to measure the AC voltage.

Silver Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 117
John- If you don't have a DMM and a test cd and all that, just set your freq. at around 80 hz, with your gain around halfway up, subsonic filter on.
With that particular kicker it should sound good.
Fine tune it when you have the right equipment and/or know-how.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2023
^^^^ Don't do that (the part about the gain), if your HU has high volt outputs you will clip the subs.

He is right about the LPF and subsonic filters though.

If you have to set the gain temporary, set it to match the RCA output voltage of your HU. You will not get full power from the amplifier that way, but it will never clip. To get the full potential from the system you have to set it right.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
my box is gonna be tuned to 33HZ if that helps, but my current one is said to be tuned at 47HZ roughly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
M.S. Do you think that if i switched to that shorter 2awg wire as opposed to the longer 4awg wire there would be less heat? Or would it be about the same and be irrelevant?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2043
Irrelevant

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 820
The "inline fuse" should be 12" or less from batt. JMO

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2716
If you only have the one battery up front then an inline fuse of 150A will suffice no more than 18" from that battery. Now if you have a dual battery setup then run one 150A fuse no more than 18" from both of the batteries, that means two fuses, ok. Now with the KX1200.1, I wouldn't run any less than a 2ga wire, especially if ran from the front. Honestly I myself would run a single 1/0ga. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 277
M.S. My HU preout Voltage is 6.5v my gain on my bd1000 is at a lil more than 3/4 of full but not at full which I have on 2 S15L7 ported tuned @ 32Hz is that ok?

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 280
bump

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2106
It's impossible to tell, but I will be anything that it's WAY too high.

For the last time now, there is only one way to set amplifier gain, and I already posted it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us