OT: Custom Enclosure

Silver Member
Username: Reppinqc

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 249
I am starting to purchase my new system in a 2006 Lincoln Aviator and I need a custom enlosure built. I want a nice enclosure that i can see both the sub in, like a bandpass box. does anyone have any suggestions of where i can get this done?

I want something kinda like this

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1958
Personally I wouldn't use plexiglass for an enclosure, it's not as strong as MDF and would probably flex more. Yeah it looks cool, but what's more important sound or looks.

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 506
take it to some custom audio shop in charlotte....theres gotta be a good one in nc or sc.....youre gonna get charged up your butt for it, but itll look awesome

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 252
there isnt a really thick plexiglass that could be used? i really want my system to look bad@$$

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 5966
The plexi thick enough to resist the flex would cost a ton. My 1/2" thick piece 12"X18" was over $30 alone. A piece that big^^^.....ouch.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 253
Ok thanks Cal Payne...so I take a enclosure and they do it or what.

Paul- "The plexi thick enough to resist the flex would cost a ton"
By a ton what exactly do you mean, bc if i can spend 200 dollars more and have a enclosure with plexiglass windows that will still pound then im doing it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5967
You can punch in the desired special ordered size and get an idea of how much it will run ya. It's where I got mine.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bin/pp.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr =3&prrfnbr=100409&sesent=0,0&search_id=74317

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 254
ok so should i buy an enclosure then get someone to install the plexiglass...or what?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5969
The enclosure should be built around the plexi IMO. Just cutting a hole and slapping the plexi to the inside leaves you with the task of sealing it up. Not too hard to do, just use a good amount of silicon and plenty of properly sized screws.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 255
paul can you post a pic of ur enclosure so i can see what i looks like...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5971
Upload

Scroll down and you can see how I built around my plexi. Turned out....ok.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/off-topic/340368.html

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1965
" ok so should i buy an enclosure then get someone to install the plexiglass...or what? "

Ummm, you do know not to buy a prefab box right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5973
^^^What he said. A decent sub blows them apart over time and you will NOT get one properly tuned to your sub. Just say no.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 256
yea im gonna get a custom enclosure made...like i said i want it to look like this except withdd3515's in it. But i dont want the circular ports like a bandpass box.

Upload

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 257
damn you dont think 3/4 inch of plexiglass will hold? I mean i dont want a normal enclosure i want it to look bada$$ somehow...and i dont want to go with a built in fiberglass enclosure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5974
3/4" plexi is much stronger than 3/4" MDF. It should be fine. Seal it up though.

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 202
3/4" Plexiglass will hold just fine. I've built plenty of enclosure's where plexiglass windows were used and if the window is mounted properly it won;t pose any problems especially if the enclosure is going to be ported.

Also, depending on the size of the window itself may require that the window be 1" plexiglass to reduce any flexing.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 258
GREAT! so now im on to something. I just contacted Unique Auto Sports about it, still waiting for response.

Phil- Could you build me a custom enclosure for 2 DD3500's with a plexiglass window?

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
Jordan,

Sure, no that big of problem, e-mail me all the design details and spec's you want for the enclosure and I work it up and do up a 3-d sketchup design of the enclosure so you can see what the end result would like.

Also, check this out:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1094096189038953658TYyQQv
There are 8 pic's of the enclosure

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 259
ok thanks Phil. I dont know the specs for the eclosure quite yet. But did u make the enclosure in the photos u posted?

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
Yup, built that one for customer I think about a year or two ago.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5980
^^^Nice work man. Is that metallic paint or what?

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 260
nice. well i now all i need help on is gettin the spec i need for the enclosure. I know nothing about the specs so this is where i really need help, I dont even know what i need it tuned to. Im putting two dd3515's in it so what would my specs be like?

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 261
Phil you dont accept PM's so could you pls email me at srandle@ves.org

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
No, the enclosure itself is 3/4" MDF.

The interior of the enclosure is Polish Metal Mirror Aluminum Laminate and the Exterior is Natural Brush Aluminum Laminate.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4194
okay. you obviously are looking to spend a ton of money because incase you didnt know....those pictures are of systems costing multiple thousands of install, not even the subs/amps etc. So, go ahead and take a trip to Pete's shop from team toxic bass. He'll get you and awesome box that will outperform all of those systems in the pictures

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 450
7.2 cu ft tuned to 33 for daily or 6.4 cu ft tuned to 40 for comps or loud if u want

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4196
btw, petes shop is in GA

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 263
i wont compete but i do want it loud...so ill go with the 6.4 cu ft tuned to 40

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 265
im not gonna get pete to do it...i got a few people that are getting me estimates on how much it will cost...thanks tho.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4197
if its your daily setup go with atleast 7cuft. the smaller enclosure is just to give you a peak for comps... i wouldnt go under 3.5cuft for each 15. you could do 8 cuft tuned to 33hz and it would be loud. thats not a problem lol.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 266
ok thanks i dont know much bout enclosures and stuff. I dont intend to compete either, but i want it loud!

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4199
suit yourself.... I bet petes box would be flatter AND be marginally louder.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4200
heres your first lesson. Its ALL ABOUT the enclosure. so if you want it LOUD it needs to be done right. and right doesnt mean pretty all the time

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 267
trevor- im sure it would but i dont have 1000's to drop on it. Thanks tho

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 268
"Its ALL ABOUT the enclosure"
I know man, I just want a nice normal ported enclosure, with a plexiglass window.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5990
^^^So did I.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 269
paul-your sub still hits hard in that box right...you havent had any serious problems with the window have you?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2201
Jordon... you will pay ALOT more for the box with plexiglass than for pete to build you one... that being said I don't blame you for wanting the plexi cuz that looks straight as hell...

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4202
well those pictures you showed were of systems costing probably around 6-8 thousand dollars... lol. so i thought you had a ton of money to drop on it.

still, contacting pete and seeing if he could build you a simple plexi enclosure wouldnt hurt, and he could ship it to you. atleast compare his estimate with the others. he'll outperform everyone you talked to, hands down.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5993
Jordan, no. I trust my work. I've pushed it pretty hard in stretches. Nothing like a bassrace or anything but well over 1/2 volume and she slams the low notes so hard it knocks clocks off the wall, lol! I don't push it that hard though. She mostly purrs the lows very well without a problem. With 1000w at home even a purr is fun.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2281
What is used in those boxes that makes it look like a mirror??

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 270
Ok i am getting an estimate on my box but i need some info i dont know... if im going to do " 8 cuft tuned to 33hz" then are there standard dimensions for that. also what do i want my Upper/Lower Frequency Cut-Off's (Hz) to be? Thanks for help

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4206
where are you getting this estimate from? you dont need standard dimensions... just the dimensions of your car so it will fit. if they dont know how to calculate net cuft then dont let them build a box lol

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 272
its from team toxic bass...i think they know what they are doin...anyway are there standard dimensions? and what would my upper and lower hz cut off be?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4207
hes not asking for standard dimensinons but maximum dimensions... this seems like a HT setup... just tell him what you want and he'll do it. thats what i did.

...and i refered you to TTB i dont need to know lol.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 275
"where are you getting this estimate from?" i was just responding...sorry didnt mean to sounds like an as*hole when i said "its from team toxic bass...i think they know what they are doin" i sent in the estimate request. do you think it would be cheaper for me to get an eclosure made with the subs firing up and then take it to a shop and have them install a plexiglass window?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4209
it's okay, no hard feelings.

ummm... probably not. Pete's motive is to make you happy. a general shops motive is only to make money. First just see what Pete says.... and dont expect it to be real cheap.... plexiglass is no such thing. its actually very expensive.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 276
lol ok...i mean i was kinda looking at getting one of these...but they prolly sounds like sh*t huh.... http://www.millionbuy.com/caudio-woofbox-dualenc.html

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 277
that was a joke just so yall know

Silver Member
Username: Holt_champ

Htown, MI

Post Number: 603
so pete do you have a website that we can see all of your previous boxes cuz i want one for my Q's

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 826
go to his website there on there

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 605
on where?

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 838
http://www.teamtoxicbass.com/design/gallery/index.htm

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 839
i like those FI boxes also there is somewhere on that website it shows a hold bunch of the insides of the box's u should also check out his vids on his website

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 607
how much would do you think it would be for a box with the fi emblem on it??

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 840
i dunno not much really all he has to do is stich it in if he does it by hand alot if it is done by a machine he has not much

I wanna cut out the FI symbol in my rear deck http://mobile.jlaudio.com/gallery/detail.php?vehicle_id=2341kinda like that not only would it look sick but ti would also let more air flow to cabin and id do it myself cause i can

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3743
http://www.estreetplastics.com/Plexiglass_Sheets_Clear_s/21.htm

if u ever want to buy plexi

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4212
he doesnt stich it. he cuts the logo out of one piece of mdf, then carpets it... then he cuts the logo out of another peice and carpets the logo with another color, then places it in the first piece of mdf.

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 844
lol oh sounds interesting

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 845
now that i take a betta look i can see it sticks out like 2d or 3d what eva u wanna call it cool betta than stitchin

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 278
wow thanks charlie for the link...those prices are a lot cheaper then the other wbesite i was planning on buying from

Bronze Member
Username: Solo67042

Post Number: 76
ok, now everyones got me makin a HT sub. i have a ac to dc converter and my receiver has the single rca sub output. can i use a y splitter and go into the rca input on my amp and then an ac to dc converter to power a car amp and then make a custom box for my sub? in my mind it sould work just fine but is it more complicated than that?

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 282
um...little off topic...but yea that should work...you prolly wont be be able to push it as hard bc you wont have as much power being fed but it should be fine if i understnad correctly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
y wont there be as much power being fed? do you mean to the amplifier? how many amps are we talkin for like a 300rms amp?

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 283
ok i must not understand. is this to go in your car or in your house?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
house

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
i have a 5ampre ac to dc converter, will taht mot be enough juice?

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 284
Ok if your powering it from a regular house outlet then your house outlet might not supply a continuous power to the car amp that u are using...but how much does the amp need?

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 285
see im not sure...i know what exactly what your talking about. why dont u just hook everything up and see if it works or not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
yeah, ill do that but i wont be able to get to that for a while. it litteraly takes me hours to mess with my HT stuff i have everything perfect and that includes wiring etc. everything is stacked on my receiver and it would just take hours... im just hopefully gonna get a box built and go from there. wheres a good site for tuning boxes and such?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
where do i purchase the round port inserts, does anyone know.. paul?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
well im gonna start a new thread.. this one is ridiculously long...

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 287
yea this one is gettin pretty long
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us