Running Dual Alternators Questions???

Username: Mesodumm

Dewey, Az Usa

Post Number: 8
Does anyone know about running dual alternators?? wiring it in to system? possible problems? I'm not worried about getting it mounted I have my own metal shop, I just need answers about wiring and stuff. Please let me know! Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12005
the second alternator is usually dedicated solely to the audio system, while the primary alternator is used for the car's own electrical needs.

Dewey, Az Usa

Post Number: 9
so would the second alternator have to be wired to a second battery? it seems like that would be the way to do it.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4131
yeah if you were going to run one for the system and one for the car you would need two batts.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6176
What kind of car are you driving? Most cars nowdays don't even have a space for your hands to go through under the hood.

Dewey, Az Usa

Post Number: 10
It is a Jeep Wrangler, there is plenty of room under the hood, I just need to figure out if I actually need 2 batteries or if I can run then together into the same battery.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1499
I don't see any reason why you couldn't parallel the outputs. The alternator outputs should be isolated from each other by the diodes used in the rectifier. The only thing I'm not really sure about is if the regulators from each alternator can work in unison. I'm planning on doing the same thing. I'm going to try it and monitor the outputs and voltages to see if there are any problems. Some people say not to do it and others say that it is okay so I'm just going to find out on my own. Anyone else have any input on the matter? Glasswolf?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12012
don't use the starter battery for both alternators.
use a deep cycle for the audio system.

Bronze Member

Dewey, Az Usa

Post Number: 12
I found this don't know if it would solve all problems or not. Dual Alternator Controller, 12Volt #DAC-12 $129.00 here is website http://www.pwrtap.com/products/sarv3/index.html

Bronze Member

Dewey, Az Usa

Post Number: 13
I spent an hour with our local NAPA guy and he brought out an alternator from the back, it was a 13-4356sw 106 amp single wire alternator so I can run this to my spare battery for my light, winch, and stereo and let my regular alternator run the vehicle, He said that it doesn't need a hot start or something like regular alts. so I hope this solves the problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us