Surface area FTW?

Silver Member
Username: Stevefrench

Post Number: 134
Pure SPL...which will be louder

1. 3 10" alpine type-e's given 450W rms ported
2. 1 12" alpine type-r given 450W rms ported
3. 1 10" Rockford Fosgate T1 given 450W rms sealed

Will the type-e's be loudest because of the surface area?

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 613
Depends also on Xmax of the subwoofers but I would say yes the 3 type-es would be loudest. I would rather have the R myself though because of SQ and the future upgradeability. In the future if you bought another type-r its would be much better than the 3 type-es.

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 1074
Of course.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4662
in spl xmax its not a big factor it will be the motor streng and its efficiency... xmax its more of a sq spec than spl

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2537
best advice you can get....save your money.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2459
doesnt xmax have the biggest effect on SPL then SQ? Each mm more that my subs moves make it so much louder

Gold Member

Post Number: 2460
but it would have an effect on the SQ still if its Xmax wasnt good enough to flex on the lows without full excursion.... making them sound like cr@p

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2684
A cycle is only sooo long so the XMAS would be frequecny dependant. A higher XMAS setup may get louder on the low end BUT on the high note it is all pretty much a level playing field, this is where BL and P MAX comes into play... Polo. :-O

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 621
I would take the R's any day.

I would say it would also be louder.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2687
Oh BTW it is also dependant on moving mass, sorry... Polo... :-)

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 622
Sorry, Polo, since when did a holiday come into this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4664
when ur playing a 50 hz tone the sub will move front to back at 50 times per second...at that fast it doest have time to reach full xmax and will only be needing 15-20% of its xmax... but if u wanna play 20 hz tone it will take 3 times the xmax at one octave lower than 50hz

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2689
Ya, that's what i was saying LilRob.. :-O Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4666
oh shut up polo u dont know nuttin

Gold Member

Post Number: 2472
But it comes back to being more SPL oriented when you add alot more power :-) The more power your addding.... the further its moving, but i see where your coming from... i think its debatable as to what XMAX has the greater effect on....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2473
^kinda like how my dd's are loud even b4 they are physically moving(niticable by eye) XMAX doesnt have an effect either way lol

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2690
A cycle is a cycle regardless of power. So say you run the same 50 hz signal that LilRob (stupido) mention at 1200rms and 2400rms, the 2400rms will still use the same amount maybe a tad more due to BL and mass in motion but beyond that it is the same signal. Now the additional power of 2400rms will create a higher BL, yes the BL is variable with increases of power, it is an electric motor. Only the static BL is a constant, so this said the increased power will allow said mass to reach its cycle peak much quicker than the 1200rms and retain linearity much better than the lower power level, usually resulting in a theoretical DB increase. Now here is a kicker, if you use bass boost at that said frequency (50hz) you will allongate (sp) that waveform resulting in a XMAX increase but it will require a higher power level to keep it linear, this is why your amp uses more power on BB than without. Polo..

PS- Don't get me started LilNob, lol... :-O

Gold Member

Post Number: 4670
oh shut up polo....i already knew that u cracker u still dont know nuttin...

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12352
stiffer spider=more spl. with that said, alot of the spl subs dont have big excursion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4675
and aotmic apxx have 10mm of xmax :-) and they still sound nice...

UNITS APXX10D2 APXX12D2 APXX15D1 APXX18D1
Revc (ohms ) 1.00 3.60 1.80 2.00
Fo (Hz) 45.06 42.20 39.80 38.34
Sd (sqM) .0330 .0550 0.089 .1195
Bl ™ 17.94 37.66 27.11 26.88
SPLo (dB) 91.92 94.34 95.46 97.10
Xmax (mm) 10 10 10 10
Dvc (mm) 75.00 75.00 75.00 75.00

Qms (m.q.) 6.31 2.83 3.12 5.81
Qes (e.q.) 0.106 .133 .175 .187
Qts (totQ) 0.105 .127 .165 .181
Vas (liter) 18.57 31 63 112
Cms (uM-N) 120 72. 56 55.2
Mms (gram) 141 197 285 312

Gold Member

Post Number: 2474
well ive seen my sub get excursion over 2 inchs :-p but on the most common bass lines.... around 40hz range its only about a inch of xmax...but i do see my xmax increase as power increases regardless of the freq. the more power i add the more it does it..... at the higher freq. ya it takes lots more power to move it but it does get greater.... and i dont really hear a SPL change until it does move more once i get to a certain point..

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2691
Killa you are probably right. When you add more power it will move the structure FASTER/STRONGER and in doing this the mass has more momentum, gains strength and weight. With this said it also take more for it to change directions, this is why the current alternates. The signal will still be the same but the sub would start to lose linearity and cannot holds its position as well, will also soon start to distort. BTW if you are noticing this Killa it is because your sh!t is grossly underpowered and the amp you have is a POS, time for a new one soon, lol.

PS----> (For LilNob)

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2158
Well besides the arguing this guys question is retarded... I mean if you could go with 3 10s then why wouldn't you go with 2 12s? or at least 1 12 T1? also... why would you seal the T1 but port the others? Make your thoughts logical for the love of God... But that is besides the point... All of those sub pretty much blow when being run off 450 rms... type e's blow all the time and type r's and t1s need more power, and T1s are basically overpriced as hell and don't really do much damage...

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 496
fyi, the surface area of 2 12's is actually nearly equivalent to the surface area of trip 10's.....sooo as many before me have said, save up a littttle bit longer and get 2 12" r's

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 497
haha using (pi)®squared i believe the 2 12's are around 226 sq. in. and trip 10's are only like 236....haha love showin off the math skills, cant believe i'd honestly ever use that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us