Need Help Building New System

Username: Aaron_c

Arkansas

Post Number: 5
Hey everybody, I need help building my new system for my extended cab truck. I think I'm going to use the MTX Thunderform enclosure, because the design of the tray under the rear seat (that the Thunderform replaces) would be extremely difficult to build a custom box for, because it has cupholders and what not that extend out past the seat on each side.

So onto the help I need. I'm going to go with two 10" subs, and obviously, an amp. I'd like it to perform close to as well as the two Comp VR 12's I had with a Power Acoustik TS1920-2 amp pushing them, but if that's not possible for my price, that's okay I suppose.

What two subs and amp should I buy, preferably spending $300, but $350 maximum if I need that much to put together a pretty good system?

thanks

Arkansas

Post Number: 6
Also, I'll add in that I'm looking for sound quality over SPL, but of course, both would be nice . And I'm thinking seriously about going with refurbished speakers, so save a couple more dollars.

Bronze Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Post Number: 69
some 10'' audioque would be real nice, SD2.5s especialy, or SDs if your on a budget

www.audioque.com

they also just changed their baskets to the ones that DD uses. check sub page under "new audioque basket"

Arkansas

Post Number: 7
Audioque...how come I have never heard of them? Are they a new company, or what? I'm about to give them a look right now, and see what I think about them...what amp would you recommend to power them?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2153
i'd go with a more renown SQ sub that will get loud... go with the TC 10" OEM... it's a sick sub for 175 bucks each... pushes your budget a little, but it is WELL worth it..

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1906
We are gonna need some more info on the box you plan to use to recommend subs...... got a link?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1907
We are gonna need some more info on that box to recommend subs...... got a link to the specs maybe?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2154
http://www.tcsounds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1013

Arkansas

Post Number: 8
ah, yes, I have a link to the box. I was just about to say, the Audioque he suggested has a mounting depth of 6", and I don't think it will fit unfortunately. Here's the link to my box.

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/thunderform.cfm

And here is the PDF: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/thunderforms/DDXP201_sp ecs.pdf

If I can't find an unloaded one on ebay, i'm going to sell the MTX subs, so ignore them lol.

Arkansas

Post Number: 9
Oh, and Reece, that's an awesome looking speaker you showed me in the link...but I'm afraid it doesn't fit the budget. I'd barely be able to buy the two subs, and have $0 left for an amp. Unless you want to give me an amp... lol

Arkansas

Post Number: 10
Any new suggestions today? Still haven't come up with a solid choice on the sub/amp selection.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 11
I'm thinking these two subs look good:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Rockford-Fosgate-P310D2-10-Subwoofers-1600-W-St age-3_W0QQitemZ200103052150QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38647QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem
What would be a good amp to power these? Any other sub/amp combo suggestions are welcome.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 12
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER-ACOUSTIK-1920w-2-CHANNEL-CAR-STEREO-AMPLIFI ER-AMP_W0QQitemZ270112053843QQihZ017QQcategoryZ38638QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Would this be a good amp to push the two Rockfords?

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 13
Quick update for anyone who has some information, or is curious. The maximum mount depth on the Thunderform enclosure is 4.56".

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1937
Neither of those are good subs, and man this gonna be difficult, I really don't know of any good subs that would fit in that mounting depth.

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 701
What kind of truck do you have?

Silver Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 986
mach5 audio maw

soundsolutionsaudio.com

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 14
I have 1999 Dodge Dakota. And I don't have to have a great speaker, I just want the best one that will fit under the seats in this box. How are the Pioneer Premeir shallow mounts?

And Mike, I didn't see any 10" subs on that page...did I just miss them or what?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2264
Arc audio's shallow mount subs?Those probably cost a bit too much though.

Silver Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 348
i have 2 rockford p3s, for sale, there in good condition.. 200$, im not sure about the shipping, dont know how much it wuld b but we could work soemthing out... dual 4 ohm... here...http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2241

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 15
Great looking sub, great price...too big to fit with my application though

I have two 12" subs right now (Comp VR's), but they won't fit under the seat without lifting the seat about 4" and doing some cutting (neither of which I want to do..I want to return the truck to stock when I sell it).

Silver Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 352
dam i say u just set the bxo rite next to u =) lol... nah ur gona have to get shallow mount subs then looks like...

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 16
Yeah...I read that JL Audio W0's will fit, but I think they have been discontinued. So how do these look, and how is the brand JL Audio in general?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-Audio-10W1V2-4-Subwoofer-NEW-05-10-300W-SUB-NEW-HOT_W0QQi temZ250108415031QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3291QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem they are JL Audio 10W1V2-4's.

Also, what would be a good amp for around $150ish to push these?

thanks guys

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 17
How about this- Do any of you think the JL Audio 10W1V2 subs are any good? If so, I'll start a new thread in the amplifiers section to pick an amp, because I know these will fit.

Also, does anyone know of some sites that sell the Thunderform or Magnaform enclosures other than MTX and Ebay?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1966
Yes JL audio stuff is very good quality. Those subs won't be real loud cause they're such low power, but you won't be able to fit much better in that box. So yes I say they are a good choice.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 18
Okay cool, thanks for the reply M.S., I appreciate it. I'm gonna head over to the amplifiers board and find out what the best amp to push these will be.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 27
Another question. Very simple. Which would you rather have in your vehicle?

JL Audio 10W1V2
Kicker Comp VR (both 10")

I'm asking because I found out today that I have room above the box to put a spacer, and the Comp VR should fit. Any other suggestions (under $100) are welcome.

thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us