Wrong capacitor

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1063
Product description on eBay clearly stated it's a 4F capacitor, the sh!t comes and it's 2.5F. The dude offered a partial refund, I agreed b/c this is for testing purposes only and I don't want to go through the BS of shipping it back and waiting for another one. What are the actual electrical repercussions of having a smaller cap? My sub amp is 2000W+ rms.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1885
It ain't gonna matter what size it is, cause that capacitor will make zero noticeable difference

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4131
true, and it looks like you got the right size cap. anyways. 1000wrms = 1 farad.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1067
haha no M.S! It has cool blue lights, how can I not notice that??? lol

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 452
ms, you know alot but not evrything about caps. Im pretty sure glasswolf will agree that they have a use if use properly

for example, in my car with a ho alt and no extra battery, the capacitor keeps the voltage much higher than it would otherwise be. When I removed the capacitor the voltage was around 13.2, with it it is more like 14.2, so you tell me...

They will not replace the need for a HO alt. I would never say they would. But they DO have a use

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1913
" ms, you know alot but not evrything about caps. Im pretty sure glasswolf will agree that they have a use if use properly "

I know of one legitimate use for a capacitor that some people believe: that it will act as a filter, extending the life of the components of the alt's voltage regulator. The reason I call it a theory, and the reason I don't believe it, is that I never never seen one bit of evidence to support it.

" When I removed the capacitor the voltage was around 13.2, with it it is more like 14.2, so you tell me... "

Ok, to respond to this I would need more details of how those measurements were taken. Capacitors do not create current, like batteries they only store it, and therefore cannot raise voltage above battery level. Would that reading happen to be from a built-in volt meter on the cap? Those are not very accurate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 454
yes, but it was also from the one in my dash. They always matched, and when i took the cap out the dash one went down significantly

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1111
I just upgraded the wire to 1/0ga and installed the 2.5F cap. Bass seems just a bit louder. When the RPMs are 2K or above, I'm in the 12.5V to 13.5V range depending on how loud I play it. At idle when I start cranking it up, I sometimes drop to 10.5V, but it quickly rises when RPMs go up. I'll measure without a cap when I get a DMM.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1969
" I just upgraded the wire to 1/0ga and installed the 2.5F cap. Bass seems just a bit louder. "

Thats due to the wire, not the cap. Bigger wire = less resistance = less voltage loss in the wire.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 963
I agree with M.S.

WWW.BCEA1.COM has a section explaining how thicker wire can give u less voltage drops

thats why it is always goot to have the amp close to the subs under 2-4 feet of speaker wire less would be betta

Silver Member

Post Number: 465
nice experiment, except not really.

You need one thing to stay unchanged and one to change to see if the outcome is different. All others constant

what science class are you in?

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1189
whom are you asking, nate?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us