Directed 1100d5 to power 13 Ov.2 4ohm sub and interiors

Bronze Member
Username: Walkthedog

Post Number: 18
Ok, from the specs on the directed amp it looks like I'll be under powered on a 4 ohm 13 Ov sub... Says I'll have 275 watts for that channel at 4 ohms... Maybe I bought the wrong sub, but could I strap another 600d amp with this to power one sub? Will I need to?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Prev Post:
rob preg
Bronze Member
Username: Rob_preg
royal oak , michigan united states Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:59 am:

like jake said, the dual voice coil gives you more wiring options. Lets say you have a brand x sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils. Now, these voice coils can be wired in series to present a single 4 ohm load. These voice coils can also be wired in parallel to present a single 1 ohm load. Now lets say you have a brand z amp that puts out 250w at 4 ohm, 500w at 2 ohm, and 1000w at 1 ohm. Now, with this amp you would probably wire the sub in parallel to get the most out of you amp< considering also that the sub can handle that much power. Now lets say you have a brand y amp that puts out 250w at 4 ohm and 500w at 2 ohm, but its not 1 ohm stable (which many amps arent). this means you will probably fry you amp if you present it with a 1 ohm load from your sub becuz it isnt stable that low. You will then have to wire your sub in series to present a 4 ohm load, which your amp can handle. You wont be getting the full potential from your amp, but if its only 2 ohm stable, you should get a dual 4 ohm sub so that you can wire it in parallel and get a single 2 ohm load. I hope this helps...

and go here http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=145 to see wiring diagrams that show you how to wire in parallel and series to get different loads

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
1 DVC driver with Voice Coils in Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of the driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofer: 3 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofer: 1 Ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us