HELP! Hot ground wire and electrical burn smell

Bronze Member
Username: Justin_15_07

Manitou Beach, Michigan United States

Post Number: 39
I have 2 lt1920 watt amps wiring to 2 audiobahn utlra high excursion aw1005W. I have them both almost all the way turned up and i just wired them this way and on the way to work i noticed a bad electrical burn smell. I cant tell if its coming from my subs, which is seems to be the strongest out of the port in my box, or if its wire burning, my ground cable terminals that are grounded to my car are HOTT but dont seem to be giving off the smell. I have both of my amps grounded to the same spot, is that the problem or what should i do please help

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11996
insufficient wire gauge or not a good enough connection to ground, causing the amps to clip (also can be lack of adequate current for amps that big) causing the amps to clip, causing the sub voice coils to burn up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
so i should clean the grounds really good, my positive wire is not hot at all, should i wire my grounds in different places?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6157
You need to set the gain/level properly before your amp/sub burns out.
If the power wire is getting hot, you need a thicker wire. It's a sign that you're drawing too much current on a thin wire.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
k so ill turn my level down on each amp till i get my 0 gauge wire in. The wire is only burnt on the terminals connected to my car, then after i get that wire can i turn my level back up? is it also back to ground both amps to one ground? The wire is only getting hot at the ground terminals, no where else.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6160
With 0 gauge wire, it shouldn't get hot at all. There's no way your car can supply enough current to overheat/melt it unless you have a short.
Don't set the gain to max, you'll blow the amp. Read the manual and set it according to your HU.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1800
And if the smell came from the port, the subs voice coils are most likely damaged already

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
k but is it bad to wire both grounds from the amps to the same ground bolt on my car?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1838
NO

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
and my amp doesnt have a gain or anything, it has level sub sonic, bass boost, HPF, and LPF

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1861
Whoa, hold on there. All amps have a gain setting, "Level" is another name for gain. You need to set that properly, use these instructions:

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

You probably had it cranked way up and were clipping the subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us