Battery/Capacitor for my amp and subs?

Username: Chris1029

Post Number: 2
I have a new Kicker 2500 watt amp and 2 new 15" Kicker L7's. I have a touchscreen Clarion and all kicker wires. I haven't installed it yet. But I was wondering if anyone knew if I needed an extra battery or capacitor or even a bigger alternator. I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey van. This is my first major system and I want everything to go right when I hook it up. If there are any suggestions please reply to this message. Thanks. Please only people who know what their talking about.I dont need any unexperienced people trying to tell me what to do.

Bronze Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk162

Post Number: 81
id go wit doin the big three and gettin an ho alt Caps are just a waste of money switch out ur stock batt wit a yellow top i dont think u will need kinetiks but u could get one or two if u want

Post Number: 3
I don't know what these things are. Can you tell me what the big three is and what is an ho alternator? Also, what is a yellow top? I need it to be explained thoroughly because I'm new to this kind of stuff; and could you explain why I need these things. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1797
Capacitor = waste of money

Battery would be good to upgrade, I recommend Kinetik

Big 3: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=73496&PN=1

And finally the most important part: You will absolutely need an HO alternator when running 2500 watts, no exceptions. I recommend these companies:

http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics

www.ohiogen.com

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11997
2500 watts = 250A of current.. from what's probably a stock 90A alternator.
for that much power, you'll want at least a 200A alternator, 0AWG wire throughout, probably a second isolated battery in the trunk, and about 5 to 10 farads of capacitance to filter AC ripple and reduce the response delay of the big alternator

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 988
HO = high output
you don't have to worry about big 3 until you have the HO alt. If you can't wait to install the stuff now, go for it, but keep in mind to keep volume down as your charging system's not to par. You should get the alternator and a deep cycle battery (maybe 2) asap.

Post Number: 4
What would happen if I didnt get the big three? And if I left the alternator like it was in my 2004 Honda Odyssey? Crutchfield customer service rep told me to just get a Tsunami 10 farad capacitor and that would be all that I should have to do. What if I just did that, then what problems would I run into? Would I still be able to hit hard? Please fill me in on any info you guys know. Thank you

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6159
Chris, look under accessories. There were threads on your topic.
Big 3 = battery to ground, engine to ground, and alternator to battery.
Use 2/0 gauge wires if possible.
If your battery is in good condition, it doesn't need to be replaced. Getting 2 or more batteries will cost more than a HO alternator. So do it properly from the start.
Don't listen to sales guys, they'll tell you whatever gets them the most profit.
You won't need a 10F cap, probably 5F if all you have is 2500w amp. Don't spend hundreds of dollars on a cap.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 440
ya, crutchfield best buy and circuit city SUCK AT CAR AUDIO!!! overpriced, but nice if you get lazy like me and dont want to install the hu yourself..
anyways get a ho alt and a yellow top or car audio battery for the trunk and you should be strait.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 990
"And finally the most important part: You will absolutely need an HO alternator when running 2500 watts, no exceptions."

That just about sums it up. If you don't get a HO alt and don't do the big 3, a 10F capacitor would send your electrical system to the grave even faster. The only thing you'd be able to do is keep the volume down and I'm not sure that's what you had in mind with a pair of L7s and that amp.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1811
" What would happen if I didnt get the big three? And if I left the alternator like it was in my 2004 Honda Odyssey? "

You would clip your subs to death pretty dam quick and possibly kill your alternator.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12007
f*cking crutchfield sales morons.
I hate that place.
they don't know jack sh!t about charging systems.

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1945
^^^^^ Yep. And they just don't know anything in general either. I've heard them recommend bandpass systems to people

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1107
Memphis actually has a pretty good section on this without biases:

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/mcaadmin/2007/techupload/file.asp?ID=148

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1275
"Crutchfield customer service rep told me to just get a Tsunami 10 farad capacitor and that would be all that I should have to do."

That's because they don't sell alternators, but they want your money just the same.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us