Is there a way to tell....

Silver Member
Username: 40hz

N.C. Usa

Post Number: 252
how many watts is my amp putting out?is there a meter to read it.i know the formula about fuses and volts but i need to tell what is actually coming out of the amp.kicker kx600.1. 2 30 amp fuses @14.4 would be 840 max watts.but it seems like the output is getting less and less everyday.is that possible,or is it on period or off.

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Murray, KY

Post Number: 123
it sounds like you are having voltage drops or you are just getting used to the output...are you getting 14.4v?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1748
How to bench test an amplifier:

http://www.bcae1.com/measpwr.htm

To do it you need a good electronics knowledge and some equipment including a very high current regulated DC power supply (not cheap at all), very high current resistors of the proper impedance, and an oscilloscope.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11981
look for a CEA2006 rating for output from the amp maker.
that or a birth sheet.

if you want to see the actual output measured yourself, that requires a dummy non-inductive high-power capability load, an oscilloscope, a DMM, and a regulated switching high current power supply

Silver Member

N.C. Usa

Post Number: 256
birth sheet says 689rms.naa not getting used to output. i know what you mean though.on initial install i could turn the volume up to 25 on freq between 25 and 35 hz w/out any distortion and it was very loud.windshield and door flex.now 18 is as high as i can go.at 19 i start to get distortion.all the settings are the same as always.now its like,it sounds the same at all freq and all volumes up to 18 as it did before,but at 19 and up its crap.i dont get it.i know a sub sounds different as it breaks in but i thought it would get louder.audioque 2.5 ...15.it just sounds like ive only got half the power i did.its still impressive to people who didnt hear it the 1st week though.the box is solid,ported and braced very well so i know its not that.thanks for the respons guys.and yes 14.4 volts at amp,drops to 13.5 at high volume low bass.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1777
Something's gotta be wrong there. Hard to tell what without actually hearing the system though.....

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4477
maybe CD quality or the way you burn them. Weird but happens.

Also, what HU you have?????

Your best way to measure power is to pay for a benchtest.

Silver Member

Murray, KY

Post Number: 125
maybe u burned one of the VCs

Silver Member

Murray, KY

Post Number: 126
correction,maybe one connection to the VCc came undone...the sub would still play just not as good as before

Silver Member

N.C. Usa

Post Number: 257
ya i thought about the voic coil too but checked ohm load at amp and its 2 ohms,which it should be its a dual 4 ohm sub.is it possible for one of the coils to play but not have any output.just move the sub but not make bass?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us