Sandwich SUBS

Username: Nester6662

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
What's up guy's and gales Nester here. I was in search of a good message board with real information not just reviews on upcoming new products. I hope I found it. Well, any how I had this idea of sandwiching 2 12's together as to create more airflow, I wanted to of people's opinions on this matter. You see I'm trying to hook my wife's car up, it's a 2003 BMW 325i 4 door. So you can imagine I don't have a lot of room to work with. I will be making her a custom glass box for 2 10's and a 12's, I know that's more than enough but what can I say I love the music LOUD. LOL! My Mother and Father always criticize me for it till they day I told them, look it's not that I like to hear the music but I like to feel it too. LMAO!! I'm a real smart @$$.

Here's what I had in mind. The 2 10's, will sit in a box separate from the 12's. This glass box would be in 2 parts were I kind join them together at end like a puzzle. Ok the 12 will be sitting in a box by it self I would then add another 12 on top of that 1, but now that 12 would sit upside down on top of the first 12.

Instead of wiring + to - like when you cycle the speakers. It would leave the amp in this order + to + on first speaker then that + to - still on first sub, Then go - to + on the second sub then return to the Amp from 2nd sub + to -. It's not the best drawing but I think you can get the idea. I never said I was an artist. LOL!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/nester6662/RUFFDIA.jpg

So do any of you think I'm going to blow something up? LOL! Or maybe I should keep a fire extenuator close by?

Nester........

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2515
Don't mix sizes. Causes cancellation. Pick one size and go from there.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2155
Well,in all honesty that's not a good idea.Since you have a BMW I can assume you have money so get yourself 2 DD 9512's and put those in the trunk.That will be more than enough bass for you.There's no reason to mix subs and it's not a good idea,there's no benefit from mixing subs.

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 146
also the way you had it wired you were gunna short cirucit it and get a load of .00001 ohms

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
I don't have much room like I said but the 10's give a nice sturdy bass, when the 12's give a deeper bass. I've seen this done out here in Miami a few time's and it always sounded real good to me. I guess you would have to hear it in person. Just cause I own a BMW doesn't mean I have money sorry. I have a buddy that own's a company called TG Design's, he has ton's of stuff sitting in his basement that company's give him for free. He told me to take whatever I wanted that he just going to start throughing stuff away. I never planed on hooking that car up. I myself own a 67 Chevelle that's were my money goes's into. That BMW is what my wife drive's on a daily base's. I hooked her up with a Alpine IVA-D310 about a year ago for here birthday and just recently added a XM radio to it that's it. It's her car really I just maintain it for her, I thought it would be nice of me to do something for it. I mean if you get all these AMP's and speaker for free would you use it? I know it's not the most expensive stuff out there or even the best but I'm using Bazooka speaker's and amps. These any good to begin with?

Nick, thats why I'm asking to see what is really going to happen and even if it'll work. So maybe if I were to use another amp there and wire it up backwards the sub on top would pull air and not pull. Would that work?

Silver Member
Username: Splmonster

Nowhere, OH USA

Post Number: 749
well give us a budgetfor amp and sub(s) then we can suggest something in your price range, but yea dont mix sizes, seems like it would work but it dont lol if you really need a scientific answer lol ask glasswolf, but the short version is yes, it causes cancelation and just gives the worst qualities of the two not the best

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1022
You probably want to listen to these guys when they tell you not to mix subs. Everyone here is very knowledgable-likely more so than whoever you saw in Miami. Either go with two 10s and leave it at that, or add a third 10 if you must have three.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2156
Bazooka is not very good but for free...it's hard to beat.Go ahead and run a setup with that free stuff but just make sure not to mix subs,there's no point in doing so.

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 899
i agree.... no point in all... if you mix subs your gonna have less bass than with the 2 dd 9512s someone said above... its just not a good idea to do it

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 3
So I guess I'll just run 3 12's. I think that would be my best bet. I'd like to tank al of you for your reply. And I'll be posting picture so you guys see what I'm up too. Maybe I'll blow a few things up. LOL J/K

BTW, the dude I saw with that set up of 2 10's and a 12, was in a Station Wagon so maybe that's why it sounded so good. I do remember that the 12 was facing a different way from the 10's. The 12 was facing towards the rear and the 10 straightforward, I think hew did that just because of what you guy's were talking about cancellation. Don't really know, I am stuck on stupid when it come to audio. Ask me anything about Jada Toys or Chevy and you may just get the right answer out of me. LOL! Thanks

Nester.............

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 147
good luck

Bronze Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 96
Nester, whats a good after market tranny that I can get for my '01 blazer to get more torque and overall horse power?
Besides a 700R4.

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 4
What are you using as engine? I don't think you'll need to swap out tranny's. And are you sure you already have a 700 R4 and not a 4L60E?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
I have a vortec v6, and I could never find the info on my tranny, but I don't think its a 700R4, sorry for the misconception. Well I'm getting a hypertech prog 3 soon, but I wanted something extra, without paying for headers/exhaust.

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 5
YA but don't for 1 sec think that V6 won't do anything. Those 4.3's have been know to bust out some serious power. OK, check out what GM did they took a 350 block and basically removed 2 cylinders, and came up with the 4.3 take the cubic inch's 262 that I think your engine is and divided that by 6, you get something like 43.66. Now take 43.66 and multiply it by 8 for the 8 cylinders in a 350. You get 349.28 you see it's a bit shy of 350. It's a small block 350 with 2 pistons cut out. You can tell the tranny's by the oil pan, goggle a search so you can see picture's of the oil pans or I think you can call a GM dealer near you and ask what tranny is in your truck. By the vin I'm sure they can tell you.

After your done finding out what tranny you have you may want to consider a nice cam and torque converter change. Summit or Jegs should be able to help you pick the write set up, so the cam and converter match. That should give you a little torque, but ya you may wanna get a set of header's and do the exhaust. And if you get yourself a chip so you can play with you computer game over. LOL! I think that's your best bet without going really crazy and swapping tranny's and having to cut drive shaft's or extending. That does become a pain in the @$$ if you don't know what your up against. Don't get scared of changing a cam they all come with directions and it's simple. I do tell you take your time. If you have a buddy that know what he's doing under the hood then buy him a 6 pack and tell him to come help you out. Don't make it a 12 pack he may get to drunk and forget what he was doing. LOL!

Nester...........

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
I'm pretty certain I have a 4L60E, but I was looking to get a camaro tranny in the not so near future, do you know what a 2001 camaro has? I heard they have the 700R4. What type of torque converter/cam should I get for now, any suggestions? What would be cheaper, torque converter/cam or headers/exhaust?

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 6
Here so you have an idea of what your looking at spending. Here's a cam on Jeg's but there's no real spec's on it, only 266/500. I don't think you'd like to go any bigger than that on a stock engine. But you still may wanna call them they can help you out a lot better with the technical $H^&. LOL!
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_100868_-1

Here's a convertor I found real quick of course this one says it's for a C5, you need to ask them for the one you need for your truck.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_212328_-1

Stay away from changing the tranny to a 700R4 Homie. That will be a hell for you. Remember that all these tranny are electrical and your going to have a hard time finding the computer to work correctly with it, and I think that the speedometer cable ain't going to work. If I'm not mistaken the plug's are different, and that would mean you'll never get to read again. That 4.3 and the 4L60E isn't a bad set up. If you are looking for real power then just get your self a Small Block from the Local Junk yard and build it up little by little. When it's done you slap it in. They sell the headers to fit the Blazer and the S10 are the same thing under the hood. Do a search on V8 conventions for S10's you'll see what I mean.

Don't let GM V6's foul you check this out.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0210_43l_chevy_v6_vortechs_superch arger_install/

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0208_chevy_43l_262ci_v6_engine_bui ld/

S10 V8 Conversion. "Older S10 but you can get idea's"
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/chevy_s10_small_block_v8_swap/

Nester......

Silver Member
Username: Splmonster

Nowhere, OH USA

Post Number: 751
guess he do know his chevy $h!t hhahaha

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 7
Yo you cat's up there were talking about some DD 9512's. To tell you the truth I didn't know what the hell you guy's were talking about. I goggled it and I ran across some subs that cost like 800 a piece. Is that what you guy's were talking about?

OK, a buddy of mine came by and now tells me to do the 3 12's, but to take the center sub and turn it inward. Does that really make a difference? He said that it'll keep the airflow moving a lot smoother. Whatever that means.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us