What is poly fill? What does it do?

James War
How does it affect the subs and box?

Miguel
when you add poly fill to your box the sub plays as if the box were bigger depending on how much stuffing you put in the deeper your sub will sound, becasue it would be as if it were in a bigger box so the more stuffing the bigger the box and the depper the sound. You can get an eight pound box of stuffing at wall-mart for nine dollars or something

superfecta
But it also has limits,you can gain about 15% box "airspace" by using about 1 1/2 pounds per box,thats about the max you want to use.For example,if the recommended airspace for a given woofer is one cubic foot(1728 cubic inches)you can build a box around 3/4 cubic foot and stuff it with 1 1/2 lb.fiberfill to get the same effect.But it will require more power to drive the woofer to achieve the same volume.It is a good idea to put some fill in your box to avoid "standing waves" in the box,and if you are strapped for space,it helps.But remember to also allow for the space the woofer takes up when figuring your box size.

many install stores do not use poly fill I have found, and to my dismay I have seen subs that sound "tinny" due to the standing waves. If you go to one of these outlets, ask them about polyfill use in their installs, or else have more fun and do it yourself!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us