180rms at 60hz from outlet...

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2420
I have a DC to AC power adapter in my car that does 120VAC and 1.5A MAX. Would that do 180~rms at 60hz if i connected it to a sub? I believe it would.. but might mess the thing up after so long. I just want to test it on a old pioneer sub but dont want to risk breaking anything... the most i might do is blow my cigarette light fuse right? Its a 10 or 20A fuse i think.

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 892
180 watts at a fixed voltage of 120 volts equals 1.5 amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2428
Thats what i thought but im saying the fuse should blow before anything else like the convertor right?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11970
most power inverters in cars use a stepped wave or square wave, and not a true sinusoidal output, so you'll be clipping the ever loving poo out of the sub.
Be prepared to buy a new sub if you try this.
It's not clean power.

Silver Member
Username: Fi_car_audio

Hades, NV

Post Number: 174
No. This is not the case at all. You will pop the fuse as the unit is capable of producing 1.5 amps of current max... and depending on what the impedance of the sub is, will draw significantly more than that.
Dual 4 Ohm sub wired in series for an 8 Ohm load will draw 15 amps with 120V. In parallel at 2 Ohms it will draw 60 amps. Simply not going to happen. The only way to make your power supply work is with a 80 Ohm load. Good luck finding that sub ;)

Simply put... dont do it.

Thanks,
Scott

Silver Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 464
just get 5 dvc 8 ohm woofs, :-)

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4598
juzz pug it on the wall

Gold Member

Post Number: 2431
Well its a pioneer 250rms 10" subs, the wall outlet it would have no chance at all... the subs isnt no big deal it sells brand new for about 20$.. and about 40$ at bestbuy.... lol i got 3 of them back a long time ago for 20$ with a box... and since this is the last one i got.... my dog kinda got to the other.. and one of them busted along time ago... so i got 1 left.. it wouldnt make a good single sub setup soo.... just want to find a good use for it, im kinda planin on frying it... if i dont use the outlet im using my 3K earthquake on it... since it a single 4ohm SVC 1.5K from earthquake... will burn so fast...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us