Mp3 vs. wav

Bronze Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 94
does anyone notice a quality difference between Mp3 and regular wav formats? I think its in my head but when I listen 2 Mp3 disks I feel like it has less sound in it.

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 240
yes..mp3 is the compressed version or atleast i think so lol and wav is the uncompressed version

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1713
" does anyone notice a quality difference between Mp3 and regular wav formats? "

Yes. WAV is uncompressed CD quality audio, the best quality digital format. MP3 is compressed audio. If the file is a low bitrate, you can hear the distortion from compression.

" I think its in my head but when I listen 2 Mp3 disks I feel like it has less sound in it. "

Nope, it's not in your head . Even if an mp3 file is a high bitrate, it still lacks the dynamic range of an uncompressed WAV file (that's what was cut out to reduce file size).

Bronze Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 95
k thxs, thats wut i wanted 2 hear

Bronze Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 96
k thxs, thats wut i wanted 2 hear

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1705
i can never tell the difference personally on around 224bps+

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 747
i can tell the difference between 192 and 128 i dont really get WAV cause they always seem to be protected on Linewire Also VBR is prolly the worst most mixtapes are VBR

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 888
"...Even if an mp3 file is a high bitrate, it still lacks the dynamic range of an uncompressed WAV file (that's what was cut out to reduce file size)."

That is absolutely false. Without peeling off a novel here... Dynamic Range Compression (DRC), and "compression" describing file size reduction via MP3, are two totally different things. The theoretical dynamic range ceiling, or peak amplitude, of a 16-bit mp3 encoding is 96.1 dB. MP3 uses what is called "perceptual coding", which is based on the measured physical limitations of our ears and what they can and cannot perceive. In other words MP3 encoding removes only the data that it deems will not be audibly recognized by the human ear. This trimming of the least important data, basically "details", generally results in what most people would hear as grainy and/or strident at some frequencies and on certain instruments, but does not limit the effective dynamic range of the original cd.

Now of course if you are encoding the very rare wide-dynamic-range live classical recording with dynamic range of greater than 96dB, then yes there will be a slight reduction in dynamic range. But even then the dynamic range will be affected in the "bottom range" and not the top, meaning that only the noise floor would be affected. The average music cd has a dynamic range of around 90dB, lower than the theoretical capability of an MP3.

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 889
Man this site is screwed today.... bump f!cker

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2400
Mp3 and WAV quality arent different IMO its just a different way of compressing the data and uses different bit rates. As long as you rip it right you can make them sound exactly alike.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1707
i would expect Brad to know that haha. thing is with the classes i've taken i should too...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us