One Sub or Two? Does it really matter?

Username: Dastunna

Post Number: 2
I've been hearing mixed things on this. Does it matter whether you have one sub running or two? Would it be better to spend a lot and get one incredible sub or pay for 2 midgrade subs? I've always thought two subs just meant more bass and didn't have to do with sound quality. There is no left or right like with speakers. I was just told by a friend that one sub wouldn't sound right and I want to know if it is BS.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12161
yeah its bs...1 sub can sound better and be louder then 4subs...its all about install

Bronze Member
Username: Kaprese

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 93
yea he's right I have seen a 15' Kicker L7 in a ported box out beat 2 12' audiobahn in a ported box

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 733
Audiobahn sux tho lol but yeah ive seen a 15 hit higher number than 2 15's and 1 18 hit higher numbers than 2 15's tru it is all about install

example pioneer truck has 3 subs and hit the 180's and steve meade got 4 fi btls and hit 160's but again Pioneer guy Millionaire Steave meade not so much

Steelcitysounds l7 hit hard and seem to last long but there good at what they do so all about install

u could have 4 dd 9515 and sound like sht if u dont now what ur doin

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 435
ASSUME SIMILAR SETUP (sound deadening, rms power, trunk setup, everything but the subs)

then would 2 15" or 1 15" be louder?, with the same power going to the 1 15 as the 2 15's combined

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 736
u mean

Ex. 1 15 gettin 2000 watts oppose to 2 15's gettin 2000 watts split

that could depend all on the install like always u would also need a bigger box for the 2 15's oppose tot he 1 15

TCAB seems to be crazy watch there vids they got alpines hittin 150's 1 15 those boxes focus more on sound in the car then flexin the car and the quality is good

they got a 3 db increase from using a custome box to using a tcab boc 3 db increase that could mean a victory 148 top of the line custome box to 151.8 or sumtin in that number area TCAB box

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 436
Ex. 1 15 gettin 2000 watts oppose to 2 15's gettin 2000 watts split

ya, can anyone give me an answer? I would think the output from a set ammount of watts would be similar but the cone area difference would make the 2 15" subs louder

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 5738
IMO one 2000w sub CAN work better than two 1000w subs. Chauncey already explained it. Kiss theory applies here I think.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2079
It really depends on install and the subs used... I would personally run 1 sub for the shock factor... Oh yeah and the guy hitting 180s was using like 120 speakers...

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 744
o sht thats my fault i didnt see the 1 in front it isnt 120 it is 13 pioneer premiere 12inch tsw-5000spl
and 52 premier prs-d5000spl

http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/Competitions/svr4.1.wmv
2nd truck shown

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11959
yes bass is pretty much monaural.
one high end sub is my preference

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 746
BetterAudio Statement 15 what is that neva geard of it o and ilike ur car old scool muscle charger sexy if u ask me the new chrger is dum

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11960
it's a prototype sub being developed.
I'm actually using an Fi Q 15 at present

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 5753
18" myself. Car not included.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2089
Nor subwoofer...

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2660
^^^ I agree with GlassWolf! Find a great sub, do a great install and you will be very happy. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2399
I say 2 of the really good subs and your all good... cant go wrong with that :-)

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 1048
I am really a big fan of the single sub setup. Nothing more impressive when someone says what do you have in there 2 12s or 1 15s and your like nope just one 15...or 12. Its just whatever you really wanna do.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2405
^thats debatable on what kind of people you know, most people that dont know car audio wont think it has sh1t to do with the install but more of the equiptment...

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 1050
People I hang out with dont know all that much about car audio. Because my sub has no name on it and is all black they all think its some off brand. Well it kinda is...but has a bad @ss motor. TC9 all the way. lol

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11966
the initial suggestion was correct in that people use two subs instead of one to get more bass. that
s about the only reason.
most SQ installs use a single, smaller sub, since anything more tends to give too much bass to get a good C weighted sound curve on an RTA, which in return will give a poor score in competitions and give a response that's too warm, with too much bass to sound "real" or "live."

adding a second sub gives you about an additional +3dB, while taking the amplifier from 4 ohms to 2, or adding a second identical amp for the second sub, also adds about +3dB, so by adding a second sub and doubling the power, you nearly double the audible output.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2661
The problem being that most new cars don't have the proper space for two 15's and if they did, a ported box really doesn't have sufficient space to breathe. This is usually why unless it is in a SUV and single sub could really soud better. I remember back in the days most people ran sealed enclosures, there really weren't ports yet, lol. You use to be able to get a HUGE sealed box in your trunk with a couple of 18's and depending on the time frame, a 1000watt class a/b amp, lol. You use to be able to hear these cars for blocks, really and it wasn't anywhere near the DB we have today. I remember when a dude in the car audio mag broke the record with a 130db score and he used like 10 subs to do it, times were fun.. Polo. :-O

Username: Dastunna

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all the opinions... I am looking to put one high end sub in my pathfinder which is a midsize suv. Do you think a 10 or 12 would be better? What type of box? And has anyone ever used Tweeter as an installer. What should I look for when trying to make sure it's installed right?

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 83
im not sure about how size works ive herd 10s, 12s and 15s that both sound great for sq. if your doing a pathfinder i would go with one more expensive sub. a guy i work with has one (not sure wich) kicker thats a 15 (cost 1800) and its louder and has better sound quality (ran by 2900 watt amp) than my friends 2 12 kickers (run by 1200 watt amp)

Bronze Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk162

Post Number: 13
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D160107021356&ru=http%3A%2 F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D16010702 1356%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1#ebayphotohosting

get that instead of kicker that s rare cause it has never been used b4 still in box and it is the old AA one of a kind lol

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11973
use the largest, highest quality sub you can fit/afford.
in a pathfinder, you could theoretically go with one good 18" sub.
the 18" with a good BL curve (motor control spec) will be as fast and accurate as a smaller sub, and actually have lower distortion since it won't have to travel as far to produce the same output.

bigger is better :-)

Silver Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 803
I agree i have a 15xxx (its not working right now) on A chevy Avalanche. My homie has 2 12l7 on a Ram. He removed the center console and my sub sounds deeper, lower and louder.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4607
do wat glasswolf said

Username: Da_jay_man06

Crestview, Florida U.s.a

Post Number: 6
i am also with glass wolf on this one
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts