Which sub is better? JL audio 12w7 or the Phoenix Gold Titanium Elite 12D?

Username: Twinturbostealth

Vancouver, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1
just wondering which sub would be better to go with? which sub sounds better and has more bass? all i know is that the 12w7 is 750 watts while the titanium elite 12D is 1200 watts. But my friend says that the 12w7 is better, is that true?

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1655
umm...a w7 prolly...but its waaayyyyy overpriced adn theres alot of subs in the 500-600 range that would outperform it. some even cheaper than that.

Vancouver, Bc Canada

Post Number: 2
so you're saying that there's subs cheaper and better than the 12w7 and 12d elite?

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 994
Yeah definitly. How much do you want to spend. There is a ton better for the money...

Silver Member
Username: Mike11202

DE US

Post Number: 227
Heres a few in a lower price range that are about equal or better than the W7

Sound Splinter RL-S 12" $409

TC Sounds TC-3000 12" $399

JBL W12GTi 12" $275
(Is compared to W7 in several articles, very similar)

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 996
Not to mention subs from Audoque, Resonant Engineering, Fi, Digital Designs, Mmats, and Treo! How much do you want to spend, what size subs, and how many do you want?

Vancouver, Bc Canada

Post Number: 3
Well i have a Dodge Stealth, so i think i can only fit one 12W7 or 12D elite. Price is not an issue. The thing is, i have a JL audio 12w7 and a phoenix gold titanium 12D elite, and i have the phoenix gold titanium 1200.1 amp(1400rms) to power the sub. which subwoofer should i go with? because i am going to need to get a custom built box, there's no way i can test how each one sounds in my car right? cuz whichever sub i choose, i'm going to need the box custom built for it?

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 999
Yeah you will need a box specific for it. I don't know what to tell you between those...wait for someone with experience with those subs...

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 520
Why not just go with a single 15" mag? That is only $450 to your door instead of the high price the W7 will run you, and I have had many previous W7 owners tell me they liked the mag much more than their old W7's. But whatever you do, don't pay $600+ to get a W7 when there is much better for less.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6135
I'd stick to JL 12W7. Lot of people will say something something is just as good as W7, but personally, I love the way W7 sounds, excellent SQL. If you want lot of bass, invest in JL's HO box for it. It'll sound like 2 subs.
Don't take my word for it, take a sound test. Get a sub that people say its as good or better than W7, and W7 in a HO box. You be the judge.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1003
Well, if he aleady has them there is little point to buying another unless he is unhappy with it...

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2104
"I'd stick to JL 12W7. Lot of people will say something something is just as good as W7, but personally, I love the way W7 sounds, excellent SQL. If you want lot of bass, invest in JL's HO box for it. It'll sound like 2 subs.
Don't take my word for it, take a sound test. Get a sub that people say its as good or better than W7, and W7 in a HO box. You be the judge."

Like he said,you be the judge but if you don't have money to waste to do all of that judging then get yourself something else.I know a few dealers that CARRY JL and they say they're not worth it at all.I agree with them.There's no reason to pay so much for something when you can have something far better for far less.W7s don't like being over-powered either,they're rated at X amount of watts and that's all you can safely run them at but it is reccomended so...I'd personally run some SI Mags or Fi BL/Q's.For a single SQL sub setup I'd run an 18'' Fi Q or a DD 9515.All of the subs mentioned previously can be bought for less than a JL W7 and WILL outperform it.

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 521
Isaac, show me one person who has owned a DD, SI, FI, RE or any other high end sub that would even consider going with a W7.

Second, the difference in output between 1 sub and 2 is about 3 db's. The human ear can just barely detect that difference. So you saying the JL box will make 1 sub sound like two, means it will make it possibly noticibly louder. Not to mention the JL boxes aren't any better than regular mdf boxes. Some of the JL boxes are just sealed boxes as well haha.

And would you like links to numerous people that have taken your sound test? There are plenty of past W7 owners who now own great equipment and could speak for lower priced higher end subwoofers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6138
Showrides, let me ask you a question. Have you done a sound test yourself?
Take 10W7 or 12W7 in a HO box, put it in a car's trunk, then turn on the volume. Now take whatever sub you think is better, put it in the same car, and repeat the process. Don't compare test results done in a special room.
10W7 is 500w and 12W7 is 750w. Therefore, don't compare with something that's 2x their rating.
If after that test, you can pick out the winner (as claimed by many that it's "way" better than JL), then you truely have one of the best ears in the world.
I'm not knocking you or anyone else, I'm just tired of seeing people say "so and so" is better than W7 without really testing it for themselves.
You don't learn anything by following what others say.
If brand name is that important to you, then do a blind test. JL W7 in a HO box, and a sub of your choice. Again, put it in a trunk and see if you can tell which is which.
I'd like to see your links of previous owners. I can usually tell by reading their posts, if the testing was done fairly or not.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2107
^Let the flaming begin.I'd get a W7 too Isaac because it looks pretty :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6141
Do whatever pleases you.
I see nothing wrong with asking people to try out a sub before jumping to conclusions.
Unlike some, I don't mind testing/demoing things. That's what learning and hobby is all about.
So if you're up to the challenge, go ahead. Take 10W7 in a HO box, take your so called "All of the subs mentioned previously can be bought for less than a JL W7 and WILL outperform it" that's rated the same or similar in power, put it in a trunk.
Now start the test. I dare you to prove to me that it'll "outperform" W7. Don't tell me it is cause you say so, or you "heard" others say so.

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 1044
"10W7 is 500w and 12W7 is 750w. Therefore, don't compare with something that's 2x their rating."

That right there would completely turn me away from the W7 600$ for a 750 watt sub. I would much rather pay for a sub that costs less and can handle double the power. JMO

Gold Member

Post Number: 2111
""10W7 is 500w and 12W7 is 750w. Therefore, don't compare with something that's 2x their rating."

That right there would completely turn me away from the W7 600$ for a 750 watt sub. I would much rather pay for a sub that costs less and can handle double the power. JMO"

Always keep in mind that efficiency is a very important thing as well.

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 1045
Thats true Rob. I just have always likes the idea of getting more and paying less verses getting less and paying more. With so many great products out there now I really dont think the W7 would be anything I would ever choose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6142
"I know a few dealers that CARRY JL and they say they're not worth it at all"

If you can show me a link where I can view their test/reviews. I'd like to know why anyone would make such statements. It doesn't sound logical at all.

"getting less and paying more"
I'd like to see proof of that as well.

I have W7 in a HO box, so if you can show me a product that's "far superior" or "way better", I'm interested.
Remember, apples to apples.

I hear this statement a lot "you can have something far better for far less."
Haven't seen that "magical" sub yet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2115
Stan,if you want an over-priced sub go with JL.If you want something better for cheaper,send a PM to Showrides,he'll hook you up with more than just a brand name.Like I said before,they do look pretty though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6148
Rob, maybe you can tell me why W7 is overpriced? Show me in detail why W7 is that bad. I'm not dissing you, just curious.
If you think the design is bad, motor, cone, support, cheap material, quality, anything that can support your statement of overrated/over-priced.
Pick any sub you like for comparison.
Document it well with facts, so that anyone reading it won't doubt your views/opinions again, including me. If you can do that, I will applaud you.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12228
i have to agree with isaac on this thread. you compare any sub that does 1000wrms and actually put 1000wrms on it. the w7 will be hard to beat. especially in the ho box.

that box not only makes it sound like you got a pair of subs in your ride, it also sounds clean.

now remember, i am talking about giving the subs same power.

price wise, they are expensive imo. but that is just my opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2118
What's up my buddy Chad :-)

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2073
That's the point I think Isaac. They have great technology and great build quality, but other subs have just as good of quality and have the same or right around the same SQL for less money.

It's not about the W7 being a bad sub, it's just that their are cheaper subs that perform up to it's par.

I would run W7s personally, but I would rather run something louder for less money. Not saying the SQ would be better, but the way a speaker sounds is different to every person. So to you the W7 sounds amazing, so someone else an L7 might sounds amazing.

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 335
i'm with issac on this one just because it cost a little bit more than a ''cheaper sub'', just think about it, you got your 10w7 on 500rms (take prolly 800-900) and you got you 12w7 (750 but can take prolly 1200), ok you got that, now lets look at these other subs taht are rated at more than 1500 rms, it save ya about 150 buying that subs, but what are you going to have to do with your electrical system??, most likely upgrade it ( more $$$), with teh w7's, in most cases you dont' have to, i have a friend who has one in the h.o. box on a 1000/1 and it is damn loud and he has NO electrical upgrades

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12229
whats up rob. lol. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2123
"i'm with issac on this one just because it cost a little bit more than a ''cheaper sub'', just think about it, you got your 10w7 on 500rms (take prolly 800-900) and you got you 12w7 (750 but can take prolly 1200), ok you got that, now lets look at these other subs taht are rated at more than 1500 rms, it save ya about 150 buying that subs, but what are you going to have to do with your electrical system??, most likely upgrade it ( more $$$), with teh w7's, in most cases you dont' have to, i have a friend who has one in the h.o. box on a 1000/1 and it is damn loud and he has NO electrical upgrades"

Just out of curiousity,what do you consider loud Marcus?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6150
I'll tell you from my testing.
JL 500/1 amp with 10W7 in a HO with reg alternator and battery, placed in a trunk. No special/custom made compartment, just plain normal car.
Cranked up the volume past half way. The bass hit so hard, me ears almost popped, the backseat vibrated like a jackhammer against the support frame. I couldn't listen to it any more than 5 mins inside the car.
The music wasn't test tones, but actual songs, probably around 25Hz - 35Hz.
For everyday driving, it's plenty loud. You'd probably go deaf if used every day.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2127
Oh and remember guys,what is "loud" to one guy might not be to another.

Bronze Member
Username: Mwyant19

Arlington, Texas Usa

Post Number: 33
i just installed a JL13W7 in my trunk and i love it. im running a JL1000/1 amp to it and its a perfect match. this system is rediculously loud, but it still very clean sounding. it looks good too. i have a prowedge box with reflective face and 3 bar grill over the sub. it is expensive, but as stan said, money is not an issue... so who cares what it costs or if its overpriced. i like the look, sound, and brand so its worth it. also, the materials used in this sub appear to be almost indestructible. the rim of the sub is extremely thick rubber like material. i ran all kinds of bass tests that flexed the sub all the way out where it looked like it should be ripping apart but no damage what so ever. with my windows down 3 inches they were flexing so hard i thought they were gona break as well. deffinately will need dynamat though to reduce all the vibrations in the trunk and license plate. STAn you will hear all kinds of opinions on here... just surf the web and check your bank account then come to your own conclusions. and dont buy anything until you go to ebay- usually cheaper than anywhere else.

Vancouver, Bc Canada

Post Number: 4
mwyant, its funny how you mentioned ebay. what i did was bought a phoenix gold 12d elite. Then was looking for the titanium elite Ti1200.1 amp to power it. Then came across this super awesome deal that i just had to buy!!! check out this link and tell me if i got a good deal! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT &viewitem=%26item%3D220094899412%26%26
So what else am i missing guys? i have this complete system. Also with a 12D elite. so that's why i'm contemplating which sub to use. I got this whole system that i can choose between a 12w7 or 12D elite. in a way i would rather choose the elite to keep the system all phoenix gold, hehe.. but i rather have the better sub, or better bass and SQ or whatever. and i dont know any way to test both subs. Thanks for all your opinions so far, it's so far leaning towards the 12w7, any other suggestions and/or comments? and what kind of mids should i get?

Vancouver, Bc Canada

Post Number: 5
also my friend who does some installation of car stereo systems says i'm going to need another alternator or something if i were to run both of those amps, is that true?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us