Alt and Battery Help

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

U.S.A.

Post Number: 603
What size alt would you recomend for about 2000-2500 watts? And what size Kinetik? I dont really want to run 2 bats,i just want one up front if its possible. I will only be running 1000wrms now on my stock alt/bat but im going to upgrade my sub amp to about 2000wrms and ill be running a little comp amp (100x2 or 200x2) and i want to upgrade my electrical system first.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1657
200a-250a should b fine. I'd get the biggest Kinetik taht would fit i my stock location if i was u.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2103
As far as a Kinetik for under the hood goes,don't plan on fitting the HC2400 into a stock location,they're massive but if you do some mods you can probably fit it in there.The HC 1800 will fit under any standard battery location,it's a pretty small battery but if possible get yourself an HC 2000 in there.Just make sure to measure and think about how you will have to angle the battery to fit it into that battery tray.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6137
Before you shell out money, look at your battery. If it hasn't had any problem in the past, and not 5 years old, don't replace it. Seriously, unless you're into competition, a regular battery will do just fine.
As for your alternator, get the biggest one available for your car. 200A would be nice, but not a must.
If you have doubts, then go to bcae1.com and read on battery. I see lot of people buying the most expensive battery available thinking it'll somehow improve their sound quality. Not true cause batteries do NOT generate power like an alternator. When the car's running, all of the power comes from the alternator.
Unless you love listening with engine off, I doubt you'll be able to tell any difference at all.
Of course if you were born rich and money to throw away, then go ahead, get the best battery. Just don't spend $500+ on them.
Do some google on Kinetik or any other expensive batteries. See what the pros and cons are. The numbers they'll be throwing at you will seem very impressive, but in a normal car, I don't think you'll be able to tell audible difference between $600 battery and $100 battery.
I see too many people and moronic mechanics saying multi batteries will solve all your power problem. Yes in a way it does, but if you study electronics, it's not the real solution.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2108
Refer to my post Twiztid.Get yourself a high output alternator and a Kinetik.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 604
Well im confused,i was lookin at Iraggi alts and the 260amp alt puts out 155 amps at idle and the 300amp alt only puts out 105 amps at idle. Why is that? I thought the bigger the alt the more amps at idle. So if i get a 240-260 amp alt i should be able to eventually run about 2500wrms and be ok?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6143
TWiZTiD, if your amp is class D, 260A will be more than enough.
Unless you listen to test tones all day, music is dynamic so it'll use far less current than the fuse size.
Sometimes it's very hard to give good advice when you have people arguing without much knowledge.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2113
If you want more amperage at idle you can always adjust your engine's idle RPM.You could also run a different size pulley but you could be sacrificing max amperage for more at idle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2114
Twiztid, if you're still confused, you can shoot me a PM and I can help you out that way as well.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 605
I was looking at these 2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240amp-Dominator-Series-Iraggi-Alternator-Chevy-G MC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ019QQitemZ7963120269QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZW D1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/260amp-Dominator-Series-Iraggi-Alternator-Chevy-G MC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ019QQitemZ7963120283QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZW D1V

So is it better to have more amps at idle or at a higher rpm? Im guessing at a higher rpm,like when your driving. And wouls i be able to tell a difference in the 240 from the 260? And whats the difference in the Iraggi Dominator and Amputator series?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2117
Personally,I would go with an alternator that has a higher max amperage.The downfall with losing amperage at idle is when you pull up to stop signs and red lights.This is why I raised my idle on my vehicle.When I would stop my voltage would still drop pretty badly.So I raised my engine's idle RPM and although it takes off harder when I let off the break,I now don't see my voltage dropping at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6147
For that little difference in price, I'd get 260A.
It's always better to have more current at idle than full speed. Unless your car is manual, the automatic will always try and shift to higher gear. Therefore, on the average, your rpm will always be around 2000.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 607
Ok thanks everyone! Looks like im goin with the 260 Iraggi. Unless you all recomend another company?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6149
You do know that 260A alternator can be used for something else besides audio right?
260A x 12.5v = 3250w.
Install a power inverter and you'll be able to microwave/heat a hot water tank, watch tv, and even let your gf dry her hair. If you're into outdoors, power 10 200W spot lights (bright enough to play sports at night).

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 608
lol thats awesome Issac! I do love to go camping,maybe next time ill go ill get a power inverter and bring a microwave,a tv,my ps2,and some lights!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us