Big 3 upgrade

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 970
I'm really close to doing this b/c all my wire's coming Friday. Isaac mentioned this to me earlier and now I need to know about the types of connectors I need for the big 3 upgrade. Does anyone have links and/or pictures for this? I really need it. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6134
If you go to any car audio shops that install, they will have the ends. I'm sure they won't charge you any more than few dollars.
Petshop boys/auto parts etc all should have pre made cables for battery to ground, engine to chassis. The only one they won't have is the long alternator to battery.
Here in Canada, Canadian Tire sells them for $5 - $10 depending on the length.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1709
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=73496&PN=1

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11943
the 'big 3' upgrade doesn't do much unless you upgrade the alternator, too.
otherwise the factory wiring is sufficient most times for the stock rated alternator.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 975
It's an HO alt.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 977
Ok I went to pepboys and saw all those connectors and wires there. However, the heaviest gauge they have is 2awg. After looking on knukonceptz site, i discovered that the kolossus wire i'm getting is equivalent to 2/0awg. Will the difference in wire gauge cause any problems?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11975
www.partsexpress.com
see them for connectors

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 980
How long should the wire be for each?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 981
I think i can get 2 of them from pep boys and not have to wait for shipping. Where do i get the "long alternator to battery?" i didn't see any such connector on the site you posted, Glass.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6156
Measure the distance of your existing alternator to battery cable first. Then get your desired gauge wire.
The connectors are at that site. Here's the link.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=41&Object Group_ID=402

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11979
for the alternator and battery generally you'd use ring terminals

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 447
i ordered everything for mine from hifisoundconnection.com

they had 1/0 gauge wire and stinger ring terminals that tighten with a allen wrench, almost no way they could come loose. Very clean look too! It may cost a bit more, but imo its worth it.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 999
I got the connectors figured out for the most part and I was able to trace the wires so I know where to make the connections. BUT I still can't see where I found the part of the alternator to which I'd make a run to the battery! Help?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12320
wassup oleg.....lol.

hey why didn't you pick those up that the shop yesterday at the comp. they have those there.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1000
heeeey
i don't need the connectors anymore, i got that figured out. now i need to find where to connect to the alternator from the batt...arghh!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6164
What do you mean "where?" Didn't you trace the existing wire? You can't miss it. Look at the alternator and you'll see a thick cable with a screw. That's the alternator wire that goes to the pos on the battery.
The connector might have a rubber cover/shield on the alternator side.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1003
Ok, check this...
In my car, the alternator goes to the fuse box first and from the fuse box to the battery. I can't trace the path from the alt b/c the only wire i see goes to the engine. Also, from the fuse box, there's no "connector" that i could find that i can just unscrew or anything.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1113
BUMP

Bronze Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 21
replay to GlassWolf's comment i never upgraded my alternator but after doing the big 3 i noticed a big difference on how my system sounds, spent like 34$ on connectors and 4 gauge wires and used a old phoenix gold circuit breaker between the battery and alternator check it out on my page. www.myspace.com/Tornmien

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1114
I haven't upgraded the big 3, but did upgrade the alt - that's a big difference.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12011
if you noticed a big change, that probably means the factory wiring was wearing out, so you weren't getting adequate current flow. I think I mentioned that if the wiring is old, it may help.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1127
Do you have a suggestion for the fuse box, glass?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us