HO Alternator needed?

Bronze Member
Username: Fearthisskyy

Carrollton, Texas United states

Post Number: 44
Do you think I need a HO Alt if I plan on running only a Kicker ZX1000.1 to a sub?

If no, what about if I get the Kicker ZX1000.1 and a ZX350.2 (for components)?

If yes, where are good places to check for these?

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 672
for the zx1001 no i dont think u would if u got both those amps then possibly yes if u to the kicker 100.1 do the big 3 and get yellow top or kinetik batts just cause they help dont get a capacitor

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1678
with just the zx1000 you would be fine, but you would be cutting it very close with the other amp as well, especially since kicker is underrated. tough call, it depends on what size your alternator is

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I looked up the size of the alternator in a 2002 Ford Explorer and it was 130 amps. Is that large enough? What is a good size alternator for the system I am looking at getting?

If I get an alternator should I do this... "BIG 3"?

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1486
your stock alternator should be fine for that setup. and yes, you should do the big-3. most factory ground wires aren't made for a that much current draw.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
My stock alternator will be good for a ZX1000.1 AND the ZX350.2 or just the ZX1000.1?

How much should I expect to spend on the "Big 3" upgrade?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2367
I just got a quote from iraggi..... $399 for a 200A for a 2000 Neon..... wtf it that? He told me like 450$ for the 300A for my blazer that does around 200A at idle...amputator or somthing.... and yet i see 200A's on the website for half the price...pricing is fu<ked with them... so watch it if you go threw iraggi..

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1487
Iraggi is guaranteed good stuff. Their alternators will put out their rated power unlike other brands on the market. I tested mine and was shocked to see 236 amps coming out of it.

Anyway Arthur I renig on my previous statement. After doing a little math I've discovered that the 1000 watt amp can draw up to 140amps by itself. That doesn't leave any headroom on your alternator to run your vehicle. It all depends on how you listen to your music and for how long. If you drive around all day with your music up all the way then yes, you will need a HO alternator.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2042
I'd say kicker's amps are pretty efficient. That being said, who knows how much current it draws. I'm getting a 2400 watr amp that draws around 85 amps. That means your 1000 watt amp could draw 40. You never really know. I think you will be safe if you just upgrade your big three, buy a red top under the hood and maybe a Kinetic in the back. You will prolly be alright going with just the big 3 and kinetik though.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1488
no amp is beyond 100% efficient. you cant get more out than you put in. to get 2400 watts at 14.4 volts you would need 167 amps. and that is only if the amp is 100% efficient. I = P / V. Ohms law.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
I will need a separate battery in the back? or can I just upgrade the one under the hood?

I'm going to do the Big 3 before I hook anything up, and see if that's enough.
I don't blast my music, and I only drive for less than an hour at a time.
In college I'll hardly drive longer than 10 minutes.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1489
^^^^^I'm going to do the Big 3 before I hook anything up, and see if that's enough.

Thats a good idea. If you don't listen to your music at extreme volumes then you should be okay. You will still be able to turn it up loud for short periods. Just let your battery charge up good before you turn it up too loud. Watch your voltage. If it dips too low then turn it down some. Then later if you want to upgrade start with the alternator. You should be able to get a good deal with Iraggi. But yeah, you have the right idea. See how it works before you spend money on upgrades. Let us know how it works.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2077
There's no replacement for displacement.Oh,wait,that's what they say about engines ooops!If you're going to run both of those amps I do reccomend getting a HO alt.Get yourself a Voltmeter such as Stingers SVMBwtever it's called and you can watch your voltage levels accurately and conveniently.

Silver Member
Username: Ceoofdaroc4

Post Number: 197
Man iragii want 400 4 a 200 amp HO thts 2 much and I'm gona get raped on da instal so tht sh!t prolly gona b a lil less than 1000 bucks... plus da big 3 yea how much it cost 2 get the big 3 done jus a ball park number I got a 97 mazda millenia...

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 684
dont pay soemone to get it done do it urself it is prolly the eziest thing in car audio besides hookin a sub to an amp

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 961
I just got quoted for a Dodge Magnum R/T:

180 $479
200 $499
220 $519
240 $539
260 $559
280 $579
300 $599

DAMN! That's a lot more than I expected!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2080
^If you think that's expensive look at how much Stinger's and Ohio Gen's alts cost.

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 696
or if u get one custome made from EA and no not the game company

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 963
Ohhh...I know it is a decent price. I am just comparing to what other people are saying they are paying for Iraggi alts. Dwight said $400 for a 200amp and mine would be $500. Same with Killa-he said $400 for a 200 amp.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1491
WOW that thing puts out 200A at idle!!!! Thats awesome. I don't remember Iraggi being that expensive though, but it is what I use and I will testify that it is good stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2049
Anyone ever heard of load boss alternators? I can get a 275 amp 140 idle for 190 shipped

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 703
Reece could u get one for a 1994 chevy caprice classic aound 300amp how much

Gold Member

Post Number: 2052
Nah i can't get good deals on alts... i wish i could... iraggi would not be very expensive for you... GM vehicles are normally cheaper... a 300 amp 120 idle for my 04 yukon denali is like 330 plus shipping...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2090
"GM vehicles are normally cheaper... a 300 amp 120 idle for my 04 yukon denali is like 330 plus shipping..."

I paid 550 for my 300 amp alt from Iraggi and I drive a GMC Safari-GM vehicle.

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 704
thats not a bad price

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 706
too what reece said

Gold Member

Post Number: 2069
I guess it's because your car is older or because it's a van... i shouldn't have made such a vague statement... alts for my car are cheap... better rob?

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1492
for the ford:
http://cgi.ebay.com/240amp-Iraggi-Alternator-93-02-Ford-Truck-SUV-Van_W0QQitemZ7 959187176QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33573QQcmdZViewItem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us