Polo or anyone else interested...

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 949
OK...I was looking thru Logan's post about the new box. Polo suggested that both ends should be flaired because air flows in and out. So, would this be more of an effective design?
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 683
Looks Good!

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 950
haha I think so. I am in no condition to make one right now being at school, but I am hoping to find out if this is a good design.

If Logan or Driving check this out...do either of you know how much increase in SPL you got out of the new boxes???

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 499
I am by no means a professional box builder, but how would you bend particle board like that? Just curious.

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 951
I forget what the cuts are called, but you make cuts partially thru the board at even intervols and the board will bend. You then fill in with wood glue or whatever you please to solidify it.

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 500
And if your port area is large enough as is, I doubt you will see any significant increases in SPL due to this design. The sub may do a slightly better job at playing at lower frequencies, but most likely no huge changes.

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 952
Yeah, I don't really understand. Logan said it should be, but that is why I would like to see a comparison.

Anyone want to compare a flared port to a normal?

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 501
Basically it gives you more port area, which is a good thing. I have used flared aeroports before, and they are nice. But to the ear, it was hard to notice a big change.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4168
that box up there has a port length of like 6 inches... you'd need to have a part of the port be straight and only bend at the beginning and end... unless your trying to burp at a high frequency.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4053
basically yes there are advantages of it, the ideal box has no sharp corners. by ear you will probly notice very little difference.

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 140
how do you calculate flared ports?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4057
add half of the flare length to the end of the port

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 740
You build it and I will test it. I have a Audio Controls EPIC-160 and I could test the two boxes with the same sub and amp. If you build the two identical boxes (except the flared port) and send them to me I will test. I would build them myself but I don't have that much time. Just let me know. Maybe I could build it sometime soon but my schedule is quite busy.

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 976
Haha...I would love to, but that's a lot of time, money, and work. I was just hoping Logan or Driving had tested it out, but they never posted

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 4778
question about this...isnt the port supposed to be equal width throughout? with the flaired port, the port is different sizes the whole way...can someone explain

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4069
thats why you have to add to the length of the port to keep the same tuning
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us