Scott Atwell, sorry to bug you

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 138
I'm trying to convince my friend to buy the 18" BL over the 12" version, and people have been trying to tell him that 18" subs distort alot compared to 12" subs, i know this is not true but i would like an experts advice to him on this. also what features would you recomend if he were going to run it on a JBL GTO 1200.a (1114 watts RMS x 1 channel at 2 ohms,787 watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms).

Thankyou,
Nick High

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Earth

Post Number: 626
any one on this form can change ur friend mind dual 1ohm which will wire in a 2ohm load i neva heard of a bl distorting and if they eva did it is cause it was installed by an artard

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio has got m...

Post Number: 1361
i havent ever heard that 18"s distort more than smaller speakers but that is a dumb one...

the other one is that 18" subs cant keep up with 12"s or they arent as punchy...

an 18" BL is simply a bigger 12" BL, thus making it louder and lower...

i love my two 18" BLs...

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 666
Sweet, lets see some vid action.........

Silver Member
Username: Fi_car_audio

Hades, NV

Post Number: 150
18s, if properly designed and in the correct enclosures, are just as dynamic as a smaller driver would be. Now if you have a POS 18 to begin with, no amount of elbow grease and turd polish will change that fact.
With 1100W, you could do either the Q or the BL. Depends on desired application.

More distortion... naw. I can make a small claim for less distortion per acoustic Watt as it takes more power to a 12" than it does for the same output from an 18" (again... same series and proper enclosures).

18s do eat up trunk space though :-)

Silver Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 443
"I can make a small claim..."

time for judge wapner

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 190
15" took my whole trunk. lol

Silver Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 444
"I can make a small claim..."

time for judge wapner

Silver Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

15 SSD Wangin, Shawano, Wis... USA

Post Number: 599
Nick V...do you have any pics of ur setup?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11927
remember the diameter of the sub doesn't mean much to it's performance, except for generally, a lower Fs than a smaller sub, and more cone area and occasionally more excursion.
As for it's response or how "quick" a sub is, size means nothing. It's all about the motor control, which is why the BL Curve is so vital.

Get a quality sub, like one from Fi, and you're not going to need to worry about sub sub "distorting" as long as you give the sub ample, clean power with an unclipped signal.
this means the proper box, a good amp with properly set input sensitivity (gains), and a sufficient charging system to back up that amp.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2007
Hahaha Mark,nice delayed double post.As for the original posts there's no reason for an 18'' sub to distort before a 12'' sub.Unless you're clipping or have bad settings on your amplifier.Which is user error and would happen with either sub.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2337
The size of a sub doesnt make it "distort" it just peaks at a different freq. and has the ability to get lower if its bigger(more cone area) since the lower you go...the slower the sub moves more area is harder to move.Like glasswolf said tho... its all about the design of the sub...yes if it was a crappy made sub it would distort.... but good quality subs... they test the sh1t outta them until they are good and all :-)

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2338
Clipping FTW! I cant even see a quality sub in a crappy enclosure distorting.... just not going to get as low or loud as it can.... (on clean power tho)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us