MA Audio MA12BP.. which amp???

Username: Ajbjork508

Post Number: 2
I have the ma audio ma12bp set and i need to know what amp is best for my set up...Upload

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4409
if you can't sell those subs, then post RMS ratings and voice coil config. Also a budget would be helpful

Post Number: 3
why do you say, if i cant sell those subs?

Post Number: 4
and they rms at 1000w

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1602
He means that

A: MA audio is not very good, and

B: Bandpass system almost always sound like crap

But, if you post the voice coil configs of the subs we will help you choose an amp for them.....

Post Number: 5
well im not sure about the voice coil configs, because now it almost doesnt seem worth to check, because they were free, i also have a pair of alpine e-types in a regular box set up should i just stick to those?

Silver Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 111
"well im not sure about the voice coil configs, because now it almost doesnt seem worth to check, because they were free"

Trust me, it is worth it to check the v/c's.
You need to know your impedence if you don't want to fry your amp.

I used to have 4 MA 12's that looked just like that, got all of em for 80 bucks new off ebay.
MA audio-bunch of numbers, something like that was the name.
If I recall correctly they weren't bad subs at all for $20 a pop. Rated at like 250w rms, a 4-ohm dvc. I wired 4 of em to a 1 ohm load giving them a little more than their rated power, they dumped.
Not the best sq, but then I had them undertuned by prolly a foot just to fit the box in the cab.

So you can take my word for it, I'm prolly right, but the smart thing to do would be to get in the box and check. How is it that you know the rms rating but not whether they are dvc's?}

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 260
"He means that

A: MA audio is not very good, and

B: Bandpass system almost always sound like crap"

MA audio as a company is good. However, I cannot attest to the quality of these subs because I have never used or heard them. But I think for a beginner, these subs will be fine.

Bandpass systems do not "almost always sound like crap." What does sound like crap are prefab bandpasses not designed for specific susb. If Andrews box is specifically made for his subs than it will probably be pretty good. If it isn't, then it probably will suck.

If you think almost all of them suck then check this out:
http://www.hexibase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614

Post Number: 6
the only way i found information about these subs were looking it up online, but unfortunetly there wasnt much. i couldnt find if they were dual voice coil or not, but i am going to go into the box after i write this and see what i can find.

Post Number: 7
now i took one of the subs out, how do i know if it is dual or single voice coil?

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
See what it says on the bottom of the magnet. Also see if you can find any model numbers on the sub. Let me know.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1626
" Bandpass systems do not "almost always sound like crap." "

Umm, yeah they do.

" If Andrews box is specifically made for his subs than it will probably be pretty good. If it isn't, then it probably will suck. "

It will probably suck regardless. 99% of the "bass systems" consisting of a bandpass encolsure and subs sound like crap. Why? Because those boxes are designed to produce a large peak at one specific frequecny, resulting in terrible SQ. It is possibile to crate a bandpass box that sounds good, but you almost never see it done since it provides little benefit over a ported box. You are correct about the enclosure needing to be designed for the speakers, but most enclosures that are designed for the speakers are also designed to produce a large peak, making them sound like crap.

A quote from bcae1.com that fits well here:

Many bandpass boxes are designed to produce a single note with a lot of gain. This means that there will be a peak in the output at that single frequency but the rest of the spectrum suffers. These boxes might sell in the stores because the salesman knows what song/music will be the most impressive with the enclosure and woofer(s). What the customer doesn't realize is that the chances of getting truly good sound quality from an enclosure with such a sharp peak in its output is nearly impossible. Using that type of enclosure produces the type of system that can only play one or two notes loudly.

Post Number: 8
there are no model numbers or anything on the back, and as far as the bad references to bandpass boxes, cudnt i just take the front plexiglass off?

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 424
take em out of the bandpass and get a normal, ported box

Silver Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 112
Allright dude, single or dual voice coil (Svc or dvc) means that on the back of the sub ther is either one + and one - terminal (single),
or 2 + terminals and 2 - terminals (dual).

As for modifying your box, it will not be tuned correctly BUT it will prolly sound a hell of a lot better if you take off the plexiglass AND seal up the ports(holes) with some fiberboard or something airtight. Might still suck but it's what I'd do (until I built a better box). Definitely better sq.

Post Number: 9
well i have a regular sub box so i guess il just use that, thanks for all your help

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Just keep the bandpass. It will probably sound alright. As far as Jerome and MS, I wouldn't be concerned with what they have to say.

I think it's a fair guess to assume you are a beginner in moblie audio. What you have now is a decent beginner system. When you go to upgrade then we can help you with a ported box and some better subs.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1652
" well i have a regular sub box so i guess il just use that, thanks for all your help "

Is it a sealed box? If so, go ahead and put the subs in there (assuming it's the right volume or close at least). If it's ported, you run into issues with tuning, and the volume has to be spot on for it to work well.

If you want, you can even do an experiment. try the bandpass, then try the sealed box. I guarantee the sealed will sound 1000% better (assuming it's near the correct volume for the subs).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4438
"Just keep the bandpass. It will probably sound alright. As far as Jerome and MS, I wouldn't be concerned with what they have to say".

I would be concerned cuz they're right. That's not a wise post matt. You should sacrifice SPL and put them in a sealed box or increase SQL by putting them ported. Do it right the first time. That's the first law in car audio man! lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
My point is that bandpass enclosures don't always sound bad. Who knows whether or not MA designed that bandpass for sql. Julyo, you are aware that not all bandpasses are designed for spl, right? I'm inclined to believe it will sound pretty decent. The only way to know is to try it out.

"Do it right the first time"

It is the "first time." The subs came loaded in that enclosure, so he should atleast try them in it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4444
well matt, let me tell you something. Good bandpasses are hard, ask for anyone here. You should know that too. Is one of the hardest designs. Why would MA audio sell a good bandpass, tuned low with SQL purposes.

Maybe it will sound good for him or newbies, but overall... i'd prefer going sealed or ported.

IMO

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
"Why would MA audio sell a good bandpass, tuned low with SQL purposes."

Why wouldn't they? Contrary to what a lot of people believe, MA doesn't go out of their way to screw customers.

Yes, "Good bandpasses are hard," that is why you would have a professional design it. I would venture to guess that MA took the time to design a decent SQL bandpass. He got the subs/box for free so he might as well just use it.

Post Number: 10
i will try both the bandpass first, and then the sealed box and i will come back with the results

Gold Member

Post Number: 4448
"I would venture to guess that MA took the time to design a decent SQL bandpass."

"Why wouldn't they"

Man, is MA audio. You're so optimist... that's good, but sometimes you'll get dissapointed.

MA audio bandpasses are not made for SQL, c'mon man, you should know that.

But trying is where you know.. maybe he likes it

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
"MA audio bandpasses are not made for SQL, c'mon man, you should know that"

How the hell would you know?

Andrew, did you get an amp yet?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1707
" i will try both the bandpass first, and then the sealed box and i will come back with the results "

I'm looking forward to that. Seriously.

When you listen to the bandpass, observe the "range" of frequencies you hear. It will sound almost as if it is "squeezing" everything toward a single note.

With a sealed box of the correct volume, you should notice notice a more dynamic sound, as you will hear more of the audio. One of the most striking differences will be how much more of the very low frequencies it can play.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1708
BTW matt I'm just curoius: How many bandpass bass systems preloaded with the woofers (like the one we're talking about) have you heard, with good SQ?

Either A) the answer is 0,

or

B) you've got a REALLY bad ear for SQ

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
I have heard one preloaded bandpass with an mtx woofer in it. It sounded decent, and the kid was happy with it, which is really all that matters.

You must have missed the whole point of this thread; he asked what amp to use with his subs. I don't think he wanted/needed 27 posts telling him his equipment is crap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
By the way, what kind of super duper system are you bangin' MS? It must be something pretty damn good because you're walking around here like your $hit don't stink.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4457
wow chill out. His equipment is ma audio. MA audio is not good cuz it tends to be overrated. If you show me a benchtest of your amp putting 4k rms, then no problem.

Bandpasses are bad when you don't know what you're doing, they're hard.

We're just coming clean, saying the truth. But if you wanna make him think he has an awesome equipment, then that's your choice matt.

You can't say MS is doing something bad, he's just being objective.

I don't have any problems with you and i bet those SX are banging like h3ll, but prefab bandpasses aren't good and he can improve that.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1717
^^^^ Well said

"You must have missed the whole point of this thread; he asked what amp to use with his subs."

lol, me? In my first post in this thread, all I did was explain what juliob meant, and said quote: "But, if you post the voice coil configs of the subs we will help you choose an amp for them.....".

It was you that made a completely false statement: "If Andrews box is specifically made for his subs than it will probably be pretty good". And in my 2nd post I explained why that's not true. Now, as we all know SQ is subjective, and if you think preloaded bandpass systems sound good, then fine, but you're the only person here who thinks so.

If you don't want to believe me or anyone else here, this argument is pointless so I won't continue it by posting in this thread anymore.

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
"MA audio is not good cuz it tends to be overrated. If you show me a benchtest of your amp putting 4k rms, then no problem."

Nothings wrong with being a little overrated. If you have a problem with overrated amps, then why do you reccomend lanzar and power acoustik to people? As far as a bench of my amp putting out 4k, there is one by PAS magazine, but it would take forever for me to find again so I'm not going to bother. The proof is in user experience and much of this proof can be found on termpro.

"Bandpasses are bad when you don't know what you're doing, they're hard."

Last time I checked it wasn't hard to use a bandpass that has already been designed and built.

"We're just coming clean, saying the truth. But if you wanna make him think he has an awesome equipment, then that's your choice matt."

I never said his equipment was awesome nor did I imply his equipment was awesome. I did, however, say that I think his equipment will satisfy him as a beginner.

"but prefab bandpasses aren't good and he can improve that."

That might not be the case seeing as his other box is a prefab sealed box. He could construct a ported box, but that might be a little to much for him to take on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
to settle everyones quarrels i tried it out, the bandpass sounded muffeled, the seal box sounded better, but either way they both sucked, so now im going with two 12 inch alpine r types in a ported box

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1731
I know I said I wouldn't keep posting here but I just have to say something:

(Not laughing at you andrew) I'm just gloating cause I was right, lol. BTW if you decide to get TypeR's get a box from Mark Potts at TCAB. He makes boxes that are retardedly loud with those subs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4466
why do i recommend lanzar? when you're tight and you need power, there's no problem. When you have money, then that's another story. PA has a line that is not overrated. Ask to jesse D.

Talking about lanzar, optidrive line is nice rated. But that's not the point.

There you go matt, he hated the bandpass so once and again, the truth kills the fanatism.

M.S keep the good work and matt c'mon man, you know the bussiness so don't stick to one thing. We know you know about audio.

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 771
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us