OT: Good Laptop for around 1G. help if you know about the topic please

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4124
Well I'm starting to look into Laptops for when i go off to college and i dont know too much about computers. The price point is about 1000$. Almost all computers these days have more than enough hard drive so thats probably not an issue. I'd really like to have 2048mb ram but no less than 1024mb. THE MAIN THING is quality. I want a solid built and good functioning computer. what do you guys know about this? Thanks in advance.

oh and Cd burner and dvd player is a must but most all have that anyway. dvd burner isnt a must but would be cool lol.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4020
look into asus they are supposed to be nice, i myself an also im the market for a laptop but waiting for the santa rosa technology stuff to come out next month i think it is.

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 858
For under a grand it is hard to beat the Acer Aspire. 17" WXGA+ screen, DVD, 1 gig RAM, NVidia 7300 video, built-in Vista, AMD Turion 64 X2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115341

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4128
thanks for the input guys. i am only familiar with companies like hp, gateway, sony, dell, etc. so i guess i need to be looking at these other companies as well. keep the opinions comping, thanks!

and just FYI... its doesnt HAVE to be under a grand. if an 1200$ computer is worth it I'll pay it.

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 860
All the ones you listed I would recommend that you NOT look at.

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 584
I'm in your same boat. I also need a laptop for college. I'm going with the HP DV-9000 or 6000 series myself. My budget is about 1500$ but thats part of the reason my system consists of 1 10'' of of 500 watts lol.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4129
when i said "i guess i need to be looking at these other companies as well" i was reffering "other" to the companies you and mat mentioned.

oh and should i not look at toshiba too? my dads pushing a toshiba on me but i told him I'm going to look around and see whats best.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4131
grant- lol. well you gotta start somewhere. i have my dorm system planned out but i havent bought it yet. I'm going to go with a triska sub (look it up on parts express) which is an 8 with 2 PRs and i'm going to get these little 30w amps from PE too. i havent figured out my full range yet though. I'm going to have to chain all this stuff down so it doesnt get stolen.

Silver Member
Username: Mike11202

DE US

Post Number: 176
NO ACER

Brad the laptop u suggested is a desktop replacement laptop... its heavy, big and bulky, not for someone going to college

hes gonna want a small, light, and durable laptop that performs good

get an Asus Laptop.. top quality stuff right there + there built to last

for example.. this laptop.. only weighs 5 lbs and is durable and great performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220122

Now if you want complete quality I can get my brother to build you a custom laptop around $1200.00 he lives all day on the computer doing research and talking about computers to other people.. he would only charge about 30 for labor putting it together, id have to talk to him if your interested

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 861
Guys, trust me, do yourself a favor and steer clear of HP/Compaq stuff. I have been programming, building, and repairing computers for over 10 years and they are the ones that I and many others see all the time. Not just hardware issues, but the funky way they set their BIOS and "proprietary software" to run.

Don't believe me? Look here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&rls=en&hs=SuT&q=hp+suck s&btnG=Search

Silver Member

Post Number: 587
Toshiba is nice. Honestly, if you want straight quality buy a sager. Cost a little bit more but they are nice, Sager is to laptops what sundown audio is to amps.

I also thought about a dorm system. Not too hardcore on sound though. I'm taking my dads 70's marantz 2230 reciever and I'm looking at some klipsch bookshelves for it. Then i'm going to run my PS3 on my 20'' LCD samsung syncmaster monitor at 720p

Silver Member

Post Number: 588
Ya brad, I hear that sometimes but idk. All companys like Dell, HP, Sony they all do g@y stuff to keep you loyal to their computers. Personally, I've always had good luck with HPs. My stepmoms dell was a pos. I'm on a Media center HP right now and it's never had any problems.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4132
mike... i really appreciate it but i dont think i can convince my dad to have someone build it... hes gonna want to go to a store and pick it up with a warranty and stuff... but thanks. and thanks for taking into consideration the weight and stuff.

can you get asus in stores or only online... because a store is a must... sorry i didnt mention that in the beginning.

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 177
A well known online-store like New Egg, Zip Zoom Fly, or Gentech PC is just as good or BETTER than a local store

They have good customer service.. anything is wrong u call send it back and they put out a replacement ASAP

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 178
Anything local is the common Name Brand crap, i would not recommend getting any of those you suggested

If you must head towards HP or Toshiba

There always loaded with sh*t software and usually have problems or bad quality parts

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4135
theres no such thing as a computer store? lol like a store that would have all these good ones?
best buy sells asus but not many...

thanks again

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4136
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8246999&st=asus&type=product&id=11 68045345063

thats from best buy.... looks like its loaded with everything.... but $1800.... idk i still have time (like 3 months). i am the type that likes to have the best if its worth it... so maybe i'll spend more, maybe it'll go on sale... who knows... but my dad is the one buying it and he hates the internet... its not me, its him lol. so maybe i'll put in 800 on it and get that one if i dont find a better route in 3 months.

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 179
There are but they probably have bad service or limited warranty's.

I don't like Vista at all, it wastes too much memory and its not that great, many flaws im waiting till they fix most of the problems.

I personally have an ASUS G1, THE BEST for quality and money its $1799 but worth it in the long run, comes with a backpack mouse and looks awesome as it performs (They sold this at Best Buy at one time)

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3403

* Processor: ASUS G1 Intel Core2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz)
* Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) ColorShine
* RAM: 2048M DDR2 667
* Hard Disk: 160GB HD 5400 RPM
* Graphics: NVIDIA GeForceGo 7700 GPU 512 MB
* Optical Drive: M-a-t-s-h-i-t-a DVD-RAM UJ-850S DVD RW DL (No LightScribe)
* Wireless: A/B/G + Bluetooth
* Card Reader: MMC, SD, MS, MS-Pro
* Operating System: Windows Media Center Edition
* Kensington Lock hole
* 1.3 Mega Pixel camera with microphone
* Included Accessories: ASUS Optical Mouse (Logitech MX518), backpack

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 180
haha you got to it before i did

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 435
i ni the same boat as u all, goin to college need a laptop, have about 1400 to spend give or take 50 bucks. what college u goin to trevor? im goin to flagler in st augustine

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4138
okay good atleast now were on the same page...
i should proably get alot of money for graduation from various family members as well as the money i'll start saving by not buying anymore stuff for my system haha... so maybe i'll shed out the extra cash for it. ima hold out for a while and see if it goes on sale though lol.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4139
Florida State University 8)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2621
Stay away from BestBuy period! I am a contractor for them and I know. I have 6 laptops running off a wireless network, actually running two separate routers, a Linksys 54GL (modified with 1 gig card server)and a Linksys 300N for streaming. I also have a Full-Pipe internet access curtesy of my brother in law who works for ATT&T (used to be Ameritech.net) If anyone has ever seen my real e-mail address you will notice that it is Polo30@Ameritech.net , not to many people with these ;) . Anyhoo I have found BestBuys laptops are soo outdated and for what you are paying for it isn't worth it. If you are looking for a GOOD fast and affordable laptop under a $1000 then go to WWW.Dell.com . They also have there financing which is awesome. My 7 year old son has an inspiron B120 which I paid $450 from Dell even came with a free network card. This laptop out performs my wifes top of the line p00p gateway from Bestbuy by a long shot. The nicest ones I have seen Bestbuy have would be the Vaio but is wayyy overpriced especially for what you get. I myself are running two XPS 1210's , just got my second last week, both with a 160gig hard drive and duocore processors but they aren't a $1000 either. Trust me, if you need a real good, real durable, real inexpensive go with a Dell, also going to school anything can happen so grab the replacement insurance for at least 2 years, they will replace it for any reason, guarranteed... Polo.

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 181
hmm dell SUCKS A55, they just deal good with businesses

i have had many bad experiences with them.. they wont last long after your warranties up ( i bought a high end dell, little do i know it burned its own harddrive and cpu cuz of how poorly ventilated their cases are )

and Polo you cant find an ASUS G1 below that price anyway so its NOT overpriced

comparing prices with ASUS and Dell Asus wins in everything easy, its all about benchmark tests and Asus puts them to shame

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4030
notebookreview.com has awesome forums check it out.

iv heard the dell inspirons have questionable build quality but the xps are pretty solid. also heard HP lappys are good but i wouldnt trust anything HP.

i would like to buy an asus but i would really like to be able to customize then just buy it with whatever.

i may end up getting a dell but i can get an alienware m5550 for like the same price of a comaparable dell, but sence dell bought out alienware i heard the quality has really gone down hill.

if i were you i would wait to i think its called santa rosa comes out it is going to make the system bus speed go from 667mghz to 800 supposed to be out i think in may so june or july the price should drop alot with it

Silver Member

Post Number: 589
"Florida State University 8)"

I'm going to Louisiana State University

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4140
idk if thats suposed to be like a rival comment or not? lol but whether it was or not i like LSU and i like how they play ball. FSU used to play like that... hopefully will this year. idk about you but i cant get out of high school fast enough lol. i cant wait to be sent off to tally.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2623
Funny keep getting kids on there parents allowance to tell me, a 35 year old business owner with mildly deep pockets to tell me what is better... BTW I had my first computer before you were born.. TRS80.

BTW- The Asus G1 got a bad score, heavy and its graphix suck...

http://reviews.cnet.com/ASUS_G1_Core_2_Duo_2GHz_2GB_RAM_160GB_HDD/4505-3121_7-32 152982.html?tag=prod.txt.1

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 182
HAHAHAHAHA

CNET = all hype they their reviews SUCK

Notebook review = only deals with laptops and are accurate

Silver Member

Post Number: 590
"idk if thats suposed to be like a rival comment or not? lol but whether it was or not i like LSU and i like how they play ball. FSU used to play like that... hopefully will this year. idk about you but i cant get out of high school fast enough lol. i cant wait to be sent off to tally."

It wasn't lol. I don't even like sports that much. I'm just happy and wanted to share. But yea same here, I will be glad to leave for college.

Silver Member

Post Number: 591
I'm with polo on this one. Mike you should get Asus' balls out of your mouth, they aren't that good.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2347
get an apple man

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 5659
Just my $.02. I have an HP, 2 gig of ram, dual core processor, dvd burner, 120 gig hd, media package, wireless built in, all for $1000. I love it. Small, lightweight, and hasn't missed a beat. I run the latest Flight simulator with ease. For those that don't know, that game is a $#@!^%$ hog of cpu resources. I've been told to stay away from Acer and Toshiba. Vaio is just too expensive. I had a Compaq that died instantly.

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 183
thats why i custom build mine for cheaper

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 5661
Well where the flock where you when I bought mine???

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 185
haha Paul.. you ever need a desktop or laptop let me know and my brother will build you the nicest looking/cheapest/best quality one around

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 186
oh yeah hey Polo thats why ASUS is used by Dell, Alienware, Mac in all their high end model cases, and use their parts

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 187
i meant Apple not Mac.. and i can bet any amount of money my older brother knows 10x more than you Polo

i didnt ask him about anything i said before except how ASUS is used by Dell and all them

hes built about 20 desktops and 5 laptops for friends and never had 1 single problem and hes on the computer 24/7 constantly on research

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2626
Ummm Mike, if you knew anything most everyone uses all the same processors, motherboards, HD's, memory and video. They all use the same parts but it is how it is all assembled. Go ahead drop a Dell, you will be able to pick it back up and use it, now drop an Anus, it will break, seen it before. Most everybody except for the few innovators like Sony, Panasonic and a couple other that actually make there own boards. Why do you think Dell uses Sony's batteries? Honestly if I was anyone buying a new laptop, try to stear clear of Vista for a while, it is definately a memory pig. I'm not saying I know everything but I am saying I do know more than you, lol. I know what I use and what I have used, if it holds up to my abuse it is indeed worth looking at. JMHO..Polo. :-O

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 191
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=116288

POLO mr i know everything, If Asus makes the case then how does assembly matter?

Obviously you dont know more than me, noob

btw im 16 and i make over $30,000 a year

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2630
Asus will never make Dell cases, only parts, lol. If that forum is your source of info then you really are retarded, they are worse than e-coustics... LMFAO. My house taxes are more than $30,000 a year fool.

Silver Member

DE US

Post Number: 192
Yeah because Dell send Asus specs and they build it for them dumbas$

you think your so smart you make me laugh

but u know u didnt make as much money as me when u were 16 betch

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4036
mike act your age damn

polo, what do you think about alienware, all i ever hear is they are over priced but to be honest its almost the exact same price as a dell insprion 505 or whatever and alienware m5550 right around 1250
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us