CD player skips when subs hit hard!

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 909
I'm reposting it in this section b/c no one answers in the HU section. So when I turn the volume up and subs hit really hard, my CD player starts skipping as if it was a bad CD. It would literally get stuck on one word (of course it maintains that because that same bass note's still hitting). As soon as I turn down the volume, the CD resumes. Any ideas??

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12080
either your hu isn't mounted securely or your bass is just too loud man. also what kinda hu is it? some of the lower end models tend to do that.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio has got m...

Post Number: 1344
yeah, i have to get a new cd player for the same reasons. i think mine is secure enough in the dash.

mine is a panasonic cq-8303u...

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio has got m...

Post Number: 1345
i can get my whole dash moving about 1/8th of an inch...

my friend with the 8 sealed soundstream subs can flex his doors like an inch in his denali truck but his cd player dont ever skip...

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 911
It's in the dash and it doesn't move at all even when I try to with my hands. It's a JVC KD-LH3100. Of course it only started since I got the HO alt. It's pair of flame Qs in 45Hz slot ported box with about 1000W rms each - would that be considered too loud?

Silver Member
Username: Solobaric4life

Seminole, Al United states

Post Number: 585
mine does it to and mine is a high end jcv, and i cleaned the lens, so i guess it is how its mounted lol

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1535
If you're sure the HU is mounted securely, there's a few more things you can do:

Clean the CD player lens. You will need a cleaning disc that can work with slot-load CD drives.

If the problem is happening with burned CDs, try using a real store-bought CD and see if the problem stops. This may sound strange but I have seen some CD players that seemed to be much more sensitive to burned CDs. That was a long time ago and I haven't seen it with newer players, but ya never know. If that is the problem, try re-burning the CD at a slower speed and see what happens.

Try a CD that is not scratched or scuffed. The anti-skip technology in a CD player works by attempting to read each bit of data several times over, in case there is an interruption during one of the reads. This is a stretch, but maybe a bad CD is causing the unit not to be able to read enough data into the anti-skip memory.

If none of the above work, I would conclude that you need a new HU.

Bronze Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Maitland, Florida

Post Number: 50
i had that prob i just pluged a wire into the back of my hu attached to my ipod that way it doesnt sound like chit and it wont skip plus u dont need a thousand diff cds

Silver Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 566
our stock one did it on a burnt cd with tones on it and skipped bad in the 40 hz range but when we used our iasca cd it didnt

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 912
I'll try the CD cleaning. I'm putting in new subs within a month anyway, as soon as I get the box. It'll be tuned much lower, so hopefully the CD player will like that better.

Bronze Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 88
Try getting an ipod adapter and just using an ipod, its much more space efficient and doesn't skip.

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1623
the newer panasonics seem to skip very easily. get either alpine or kenwood. also, if it is still skipping, get some 1/2" thick foam and a roll of electrical tape. literaly swueze the head unit against a mounting bracket and the foam will absord the vibrations. Wrap the foam with electrical tape before though and make sure that you leaves holes so that the internal components will not overheat.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

151.9db Dail... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2301
Few things... depending on the cd-player some have a longer ANTI-SKIP then others so it can pre-read the song before the bass kicks in and it cant read it good... I had 4-5 HU's that gave me the problem they were all mounted really securly.. Most of them worked fine for the most part but after some age with the bass\dash board shaking it started back up again.... Your best bet, like me... i got the JVC KD-G820.... it has USB... get a 2gb usb stick and never skip again :-)... i also like the features of this HU.... Front\Rear\Subs (3Pair) 4V and nice EQ.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 105
One Word... Dynamat... yeah dynamat the S H I T outta the outside of the deckdo a few layers, thats what i did and i had a S H I T pioneer deck and it stopped
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us