Sub Blown?

Bronze Member
Username: Solo67042

Post Number: 13
I have a kicker 05c124 and a poweracoustik Gothic OV2-520 in a sealed enclosure and when im listening to a song with lots of bass it almost sounds like the sub is bottoming out? like a pop almost. its sounds fine when its not loud, but when it gets past 12 on my cd player it pops on some notes. ive heard blown speakers before and it really doesnt sound like that but i cant figure out what it could be.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1294
how high do you have your gain set?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
the level was up all the way... bass boost is off

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Earth

Post Number: 532
turn u gain down

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4100
clipping. turn your gain down. DL a 60hz test tone at 0db and play it at your listening volume (about 75% of full tilt) and slowly turn the gain up, as soon as you hear the sub sound "weird" turn it down just a tad. there ya go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
ok cool, thanks for the quick posts, should i mess with the bass boost or just leave it alone?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

No HTML in h...

Post Number: 1616
try to avoid using it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
ok, was the clipping the amp that was making the sound or was it the sub?

off topic, i want to try a fi ssd and i have read that if you underpower it it wont sound very good, is that right? if i got one id have to wait about a month before i got a new amp. my amp right now can put out only 300rms of the speakers 800 rms..

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Earth

Post Number: 534
i dont no about the ssd but i no if u underpower a btl it wont do judtice but the btl can ahndle more than the ssd i think it would sound fine but it will osund betta wen u get the new amp sho 4 wait for other opinion cause im not 100% sure

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4104
phillip... turn the bass boost OFF while tuning the amp... the sub level should be down too on the HU... after you tune the gain slightly turn the bass boost upp.... the bass boost alone can cause that sound if you dont use it correctly...

underpowering a sub WILL NOT affect SQ.... what do you think is happening when you have the volume on half? its underpowering the sub.... it will only affect the loudness of the subwoofer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
ok cool, i appriciate everyones help!! if anyone had an fi do you recomend the flatwind or copper coils?? i know they are very reasonably priced but just wondering everyones thoughts..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
ok well i tirned the level down and now i dont get the popping noise anymore. my bass boost is just an on/off switch so its still set to "off". when listening to music, my sub struggles to get the mid bass, but hits the low bass fine, and honestly when it misses the mid bass it sounds like poooop. are there any other things to look at to get it runnin right?

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 596
Subwoofer is for LOW frequencies, typically 60-70hz and below.

Then you step up to your mid-bass, which is from your speakers. Get a nice set of speakers and get a decent Class A/B amp to power them and you should be fine :-)

Also, glad to hear you are no longer clipping your sub :-)

The SSD will sound great off 300 watts, you would be MUCH happier with the SSD than you comp. Just upgrade your amplifier ASAP.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us