Alternator Bad?

Silver Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

15 SSD Wangin, Shawano, Wis... USA

Post Number: 575
Lets say i am parked in a parking lot and i have my lights on, well when i push on my brakes to reverse my lights will dim. Or if im parked with lights on and i turn my heat on my lights will dim. or if i press on the brakes with my heat on my heat will slow down...help, anyone??????

Silver Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

15 SSD Wangin, Shawano, Wis... USA

Post Number: 577
bump

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6111
Use a DMM and measure the voltage. If it's 12.5v or higher, then you're fine. If by pressing on the brake, the voltage drops below 12.5v, then you might want to have the battery and alternator checked. Some of the auto shops will test them for free.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1410
Crank the car open the hood that the postive off the battery if the car dies your alternator is bad.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 146.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 3259
"Crank the car open the hood that the postive off the battery if the car dies your alternator is bad."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
that is the stupidest thing you can ever do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if your alternator is fine this will most definatly screw up or even FRY the alternator
what you wanna do is take your alternator off
take it to advanced autoparts and have them test
it.

IMO your alternator is fine, but it cant keep up
with your system, you might need to upgrade
to an HO alt or buy a kinetik hc2400:-)

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1489
If your voltage is dropping below 12 volts your alternator is most likely bad.

" Crank the car open the hood that the postive off the battery if the car dies your alternator is bad. "

That's gotta be one of the dumbest comments I've heard today, quote from bcae1.com:

Warning!

Some people tell you that you can check your alternator by disconnecting it from the battery to see if the alternator can produce enough current to keep the engine running. BAD IDEA! Disconnecting the battery will subject the voltage regulator (and computer and audio equipment...) to significant voltage spikes which may cause an otherwise good alternator to fail. Even if there were no damaging spikes, this test would not indicate whether or not the alternator was good because the engine will easily run with a weak or failing alternator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us