Using a PC as my head unit

Jonnovision
Unregistered guest
I've been seriously considering trying to incorporate a PC into my vehicle to act as an MP3 server (which I thought would be kinda cool). Coupled with the recent theft of my system, I figure hey, let's give this a shot.

Does anyone out there have experience with this kind of setup with some "musts" I definitely shouldn't overlook before I jump too deep into this project?

One question I do have right away, is on the subject of power (easy one right ;). I've bought a DC inverter to let my ATX power supply regulate the power going into the main board of my machine. My concern is that when I get around to buying an amp, what's my best bet on a power rating? Since the amp's going to be hooked up along with my inverter, I want to make sure I'm not drawing too much load for my battery to handle. Is there any way to put a "power cap" on car amps? I'm not really looking to test my hearing capacity or anything.

Any suggestions on an amp purchase would be appreciated (not over $200 plz).

I'm looking to keep this as "low budget" as possible, although I realize it will probably end up costing me more than your regular ol' mp3 unit.

Thanks all.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidmeyer

Oshkosh, Wisconsin United State...

Post Number: 22
GOOGLE THIS TOPIC. there are alot of guides on how to do this. you don't need that high grade of equipment either, only 133mhz procesor, 16mb of ram, and a big a@s hd depending on your needs, look on google, there are some guides that you may find useful, i don't have the time to get into this subject too much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us