DD 1508, SPL sub or SQL sub??

Bronze Member
Username: Stereoman

Post Number: 13
Hi, I am hours away from buying two Digital Designs 1508 series 8inch Subs, for My extended cab Mazda B3000. Does anyone have input about these compared to the countless other subs in its league? JL Audio 8W7, Kicker 8L7, Audioque, Elemental Designs, TC-1000, RE 8, Sound Splinter RLI-8.(they are all 8inch subs). I listen to Trance/Techno/Elecronica type music. Example, Kyau & Albert, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk. I want an SQL sub that will be accurate everyday, but occasionally for show-off, SPL. Can anyone give me some advice about this decision before I buy these

Silver Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 964
buy it and tell us ... i doubt many people hear have heard this sub ...

ive never heard ne one disappointed with a DD woofer so u should be happy ... but if i had to choose i would say sql woofer

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I am getting two for $350 shipped, is that too much or is that what they go for regular price new? I know that Audioque is quite similar in design, but don't know if they are the same manufacture, and different woofer or not. I have an 8W7 in my possession now that I am supposed to ship out tomorrow. It has never been used, but is a 2004 sub. The TC-1000 seems very insensitive (81dB 1w/1m) obviously cone area multiplied by X-Max is air displacement. But that isn't always the winning combination. I have also wondered if I should power these with a JL Audio 1000.1 for both? I went to realmofexcursion.com to see a lot of subs on there, and am impressed with many, but have only seen one excursion test of the DD1008 for a few seconds, and that's it.

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 430
buy it. i dont see anything u mentioned being better other than MAYBE the sound splinter. i say get the DD i have heard the older 10012 n' it rocked so id imagine the new 15 series would be sick. they can get very loud too n' handle a lot of power also so u can show off great w/ it. u can throw 800 daily at one. 1 8" hitting 140's not too shabby

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
140dB for one DD 1508?? In my extended cab Mazda B3000 downfiring?? I would need then two JL Audio 500/1 amps since they put out a little more than 500RMS each, and then have both of them in its own slot ported box with some extreme internal bracing. That would be so awesome to hit 145dB or higher with 2 DD1508s. They say it has the same motor technology as the 3500 and the 9500 voice coil as far being able to handle the temperature of these extreme subs. I am going to jump on it, and when I get them I can post some pics, and maybe put a video, on Utube, LOL. It's time for the underdog, small woofers to go to the extremes and use there excursion, and power handling to out perform the 10's and 12's that everyone has. It gets boring to here people say,"Yeah, I got 2 12s and a 1000watts." I want to say, "guess what I have under here, (since they will be down firing) You know the old saying its not the size of the woofer you have its how you use it, LOL. Thanks for the advice everyone I will let you know about these, and if this guy has anymore, if anyone wants any let me know I may be able to hook you up with him, and you can pay through paypal since I won't pay any other way. You got to protect yourself, in case you don't get what you ask for,or don't get anything at all. I know all to well about that.....Peace

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 974
I have heard really good things about the RL-i They might a good option for you too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
You do bring an important point about the Sound Splinter RL-i 8in sub. It does seem to have a lower FS, Which is good on the SQL side. It does however have a lower X-Max, which DD only states 50mm of Suspension which I am sure is both ways (25mm one-way). The sound splinter seem to also be 5 pounds heavier than the DD subwoofer, and have a deeper mounting depth. The DD1508 claims a 1dB increase difference in sensitivity, an also has direct connect 12-8 gauge copper wire straight to the voice coil compared to the spring binding posts of the sound splinter. This is why car audio is all about experimenting. I don't have the time nor the money to experiment with different box sizes, or different tuning frequencies. The DD1508 seems to tune all of there enclosures to 40Hz which I'm sure is for pure spl purposes. The Sound Splinter, has a vented box tuned frequency of 33Hz with a smaller enclosure. You make this a tough one for me, since the guy has already sent me a Paypal invoice for the two. I don't have to except it, but would like to know for sure how the car drives before I buy it without test driving it, to put it metaphorically. I am not a stuck up, nor a bass-head. Believe it or not I am a Mechanic, that has been into car audio for 12 years, and just jumped back into it when I heard a pair of Focal mids and highs, and a JL Audio 300/2 amplifier. After that I was hooked again.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3890
have you contacted dd to check the price on the 1508? i've read alsewhere the 1508 is $135 plus shipping from dd, which brings it to about $150 shipped? in fact i just saw a person on caraudio.com selling 1508's, bnib, for $125 plus shipping. just think you might be getting robbed on that deal.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 1907
Yeah the 1508s are cheaper than you speak of unless the ones you're getting have carbon fiber dustcaps, which wouldn't help in your situation because you won't be seeing them.

DD's 40hz tuning is not for SPL. The DD tech went into a very long spill about how the suspension is so great on the DD's that tuning to 40 hz simply allows you to enjoy more frequencys. If I bought one (which I intend on doing) I would tune it to the low to mid 30s. It will still sound very nice. Not to mention the fact that you will be purchasing 8's will be even more reason to tune low. They, of course, lack greatly in the low end department compared to larger subs.

That being said, good luck with whatever you choose.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us