Question(s) for Scott

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 818
I saw you talking in that other thread about voice coil configs and it reminded me of a question I had. Why are car audio companies reluctant to go with a 4" vc on their high power lines? I think I have seen two car drivers that have four inch coils. JBL, Gauss, EV and many other pro-sound manufacturers been using them for years. It seems to me that a larger vc not only creates the ability to increase air cooling but counteracts that with a larger area to cool. So are there cooling issues when you increase the size of a coil? SQ? Or is it a money issue where companies would have to change tooling, build new baskets and that kind of thing?

I have worked with the JBL 2206 12" many times onstage and even at that size cone JBL uses a 4" flatwound coil, and I have to say that the SQ and damping on that driver is phenomenal even at the extreme volumes I usually hear it at.

My only other question would be when is AA going to start shipping product? Latest I have heard is summer but it would be cool to hear the latest from you.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Fi_car_audio

Hades, NV

Post Number: 122
4" coils have more surface area and therefor a higher ability to dissipate heat. But with a 4" coil comes larger spiders... new tooling, new baskets, larger motors to keep the motor strength and specs similar to the 3" coiled counterparts. So over the years I have worked on dialing in 3" coils as they seem to be the most cost effective hig power handling coil size. Could I make a 4" coiled sub that would out do a 3"? Sure, but the price would go up as well and is it really worth the tooling cost to do it? Naw. I dont think so.
But with new basket designs I am taking this into account... and when tooling costs become absorbed over several different lines using the baskets (3" and 4" coiled subs) it doesnt look quite as bad. Basically what I did for the XXX/MX designs... now with other request I have from consulting jobs, it looks like we will do the same for another basket line.

EV, Gauss, JBL and other pro sound drivers come from a different design viewpoint and tolerences. It is a little more difficult to run the same tolerences and gaps in a car audio environment than in a prosound setup. With as tight as they are, you can also shrink motors down... and the suspension requirements simply arent as heroic as they need to be for modern car apps. 3"+ for a prosound driver is pretty much unheard of... unless you look to the TC version. But even at that, the motor is MUCH larger than a true prosound app would need.

AA who? lol. We are working on it. Should be some more announcemnts going around the forums this week as well as the addition of a AA forum. Parts are being collected and we will be rolling with new drivers soon. Sorry to be so vague :-( but we are rolling along at a solid pace.

Thanks,
Scott

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 11242
1 of the best informative threads i have seen on ecoustics in a long while .....Upload}

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 11947
yep its bookmark worthy.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 1783
^Lol.I wouldn't go that far Chad but I'm awaiting AA's line now Chad.Scratch the DD plans and in with multiple AA subs for fun :-)I have the room so I might as well use it right?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 1784
Ways of haste make for waste.

STOP RUSHING SCOTT!!!

Like a fine wine good things take time :-)

I can't wait either but I will have to.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 11950
yea dd is out for me too. i talked to many guys getting the DD won't be too much of an upgrade from my btl's. i think ima stick with these for awhile. i'll need to stock up on some recone kits though. lol.

from reading scott's post above, i get the impression scott is working on some new lines. can't wait to see what those are.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

151.9db Dail... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2209
Hey scott, how long does it ussualy take to build\ship a sub? I think i might order a 18" BL or Q for my friend...

Silver Member
Username: Fi_car_audio

Hades, NV

Post Number: 124
3 days for SSDs or Qs and 5 business days for BLs and BTLs due to options and increased machining.
Shipping depends on how far you are from Las Vegas... 1-6 business days via UPS ground.

Thanks...
Scott

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

No HTML in h...

Post Number: 1595
no jack intended, but Killa i might be getting rid of my 18" Q soon, don't know for sure, but if your interested it could happen...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us