Will my 18" Pound still?

Bronze Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 67
I purchased an 18" eclipse titanium pro sub, 3000 watts rms 5000 peak, quad voice coil, it has a custom box that came with it, and its going in my 1998 ford expedition eddie bauer edition, this suv has alot of room, i think the stock alternator is 130 amp, and i have a small amp that i will be hooking the sub up to, it will be a 2006 kicker zx1000.1 class d mono amp, will this puch my sub do u think? and will my alternator be able to handle it, as i will be replacing my stock battery with a red or yellow top battery, should i get another battery on top of that, kicker recommends to have a 140 amp alt fer that amp, but it wont hurt it will it? let me know thanks guys,

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1371
It should be ok. And extra batteries won't help any. If you're going to spend money on the electrical system, an HO alternator is priority 1.

Bronze Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 69
so would you recommend me replacing my stock battery with a optima battery, if so what red or yellow top thanks, and will it be pretty loud?

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 397
you need a bigger amp for that sub. 3000 wrms

Bronze Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 70
ok i am looking to buy a memphis 4kw or 2500, now what will i need to power one of these amps, if its a yellow or red top battery situation no worry to me as i have a good hookup with the man who owns a battery store, and i know a guy who makes HO alternators, what size alt will i need, and what else will i need, i already have 0 gauge wire, let me know thanks

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1373
To run an amp that powerful, you will need the biggest HO alternator you can get for your car. If you're stuck on optima batteries get the redtop. Otherwise get a Kinetik, they are better batteries.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1374
Also, if you go with the 4kw I would recommend using 2/0 wire for that amp. 1/0 is fine for the 2500.

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
two seperate runs of 0 gauge?

how much power do you think the 4kw memphis amp will pull from a charging system?

Bronze Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 71
what is the 2/0 gauge? wait i have 1/0 gauge ..is that different then when people say 0 gauge? let me know and how many amps will that be fer an alternator i need to know?thanks

Silver Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 152
the big number in front of the /0 the bigger the wire wire is...example 1/0 is bigger than 0 gauge and so on

Bronze Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 72
ohh really? sweet, and yeah so how many amps will my alternator have to be, how big do they make them, how many amps if i get the mojo 4kw amp,

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1392
" the big number in front of the /0 the bigger the wire wire is...example 1/0 is bigger than 0 gauge and so on "

Wrong, the number before the slash is the number of zeros. For example, 1/0 = 0 gauge, 2/0 = 00, 3/0 = 000, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Table_of_AWGs_and_approximate_c orresponding_sizes

" two seperate runs of 0 gauge? "

That would work

" how much power do you think the 4kw memphis amp will pull from a charging system? "

I would guess 425-450 amps.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 798
You should be able to get a pretty powerful alt with that car. Go with excessiveamperage.com! Alt for your car shouldn't be all that expensive either since it's an american car.

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Martinez, Georgia 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 195
if getting an optima battery, get the biggest yellow you can fit under your hood

if you get a 4kw, you will need multiple batts in addition to a ho alt

you will also need several runs of 1/0 to feed that amp correctly.....what ohm load will you be running?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 801
Several runs of wire for 1 amp? never heard of that.

M.S. said to run 2/0 wire and that's all you'll need

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1401
^^^^^^^^

You've never seen an amp with two sets of 1/0 power and ground connections?

For example the Adassa Warlord:

And definitely go www.ohiogen.com or
http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics
for the HO alt

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 807
niiice now i've officially heard of this, thanks m.s.

does the memphis 4kw have this?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1412
No, so 2 runs of 1/0 wouldn't be feasible with that amp unless there was a battery in the back to connect everything to.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 808
how are those amps by the way? never hear anyone talk about them...looks like a beast

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1418
The Warlords? From what I hear, they are great quality and do 5000 watts at 1 ohm. As far as I know they're only available in Europe so that may be why you don't often hear about them.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 811
^^^I want one!!!

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1248
FWIW -
4000/.75 = 5333
assuming the amp is accurately rated and about average efficiency for a class D

5333/13.5 = 395A
RMS Current draw assuming you listen to low frequency test tones at full volume 100% of the time.

395/3 = 131A
The crest factor (ratio of sine wave power to music power) of even the most demanding music is about 1/3.
131A would be the appx. rms current draw playing full volume music.
It will be a good bit less than that assuming you don't listen at full blast all the time.
100A is a TON of constant current.
You might get by with a 200A alt, but if you can find something bigger it wouldn't hurt.

Bronze Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 80
ok so would like 220 or 250 be an ideal size of alternator?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 814
here're some from Iraggi:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240-amp-Dominator-Series-Alternator-Ford_W0QQcmdZ ViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ019QQitemZ7960516998

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240-amp-Amputator-Series-Alternator-Ford_W0QQcmdZ ViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ019QQitemZ7960517015

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240-amp-Iraggi-Alternator-97-03-Ford-Lincoln-Merc ury_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ019QQitemZ7955207855

Not exactly sure how they're different or why the amputator is so much more expensive. Those are pretty good deals though. Lately there have been complaints about Dominick at Iraggi not responding to emails and it taking up to 2 months to receive the alternator. I have my excessive amperage alt for over a month now, it works beautifully and I got it made/delivered within 3 weeks.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1441
Absolutely get the Amputator series! They have much more amps at idle, which is very important.

Silver Member

Cayuga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 113
hey guys its me again back in the thread help me find an amp for my 18, its 3000 watts rms quad 1 ohm voice coil the earthquake d3 is 3000 watts rms @ 2ohms can i use that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
quad 1 ohm, i dont think so... becasue I think you can get a total load of 4 or 1 ohm...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us