What speakers are right for me?

Username: Malby7

Post Number: 9
Well, today I'm picking up a JL Audio 300/4 amp for a pretty good price. I would like to replace my Rockford Fosgate 300X with this amp. The only thing is that this amp puts 75 watts RMS x 4 @ 1.5-4 ohms. I was told that this amp is stronger than rated so it puts out something like 90 Watts per channel.

I have 4 Infinity 6802CF 6"x8" Speakers in the doors which are rated 60 watts RMS each.

1) What type of speakers (component, different size, keep the same ones) should I get.

2) What size speakers (component set) fits in the car?

John311
Unregistered guest
A 6 1/2 component setup will work, they sell adapters to make them fit in 6x8 locations. If you like Infinity, get the Kappa Perfects, you can find them online for about 200, but an audio shop will charge you more. I don't know your budget, but good sets to look at are Dynaudio, Diamond Audio, Focal, JL Audio, and MB Quart. Can't tell you what you will like more since it's subjective to your ears, but the Kappa Perfects are hard to beat for the price. Focal, MB Quart, and Dynaudio can run $1000 for their higher end stuff, and JL and Diamond Audio can be 500. Kappa Perfects are 200 online, and can compete with the best of them.

Anonymous

If you want brand recommendation, we can't tell you the exact set, but can give you ideas to look at. Do you like clean crisp sound, or warm and fuzzy, or in between, etc. Infinity Kappa Perfects are nice if you like their sound, which is very detailed and crisp. Dynaudio, MB Quart, and Focal are warmer, softer, less toned speakers. JL is more in between. It's all in your taste.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3014
you could keep the infinities. just don't turn the amp (radio volume) up all the way and the speakers won't get the full power.
if you hear distortion, turn down the volume
use bass blockers to keep the 6x8s from bottoming out
be judicious with the power.

Username: Malby7

Post Number: 10
Well I have the Pioneer Premier DEH-7500MP deck. It has all kinds of stuff to cut out signals from speakers. What do you guys think now. The other problem is that I live in Toronto, Canada, and speakers are much more expensive here than in the US. MB Quarts are like $2000 a pair. I might just probably keep the Infinity's for now and see how they sound. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to make them!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3032
drive to the US and buy the speakers.
that's what I'd suggest.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us