Alpine CDA 7998 vs. Eclipse 8454 vs Alpine DVA 7996

Username: Ashok

Chennai, TN India

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I am planning to replace my head unit on my Mercedes C Class (2003) and am looking at choosing between the Alpine 7998 or the 7996 or the Eclipse 8454. I have heard great things about the Eclipse 8454 in terms of audio quality especially with the 8 volts output, but am tempted on either the Alpine 7998 or the 7996 due to the amber illumination option that it provides which matches very well with the interior of the C class.

Has anyone done a comparison of the Alpine CDA 7998 vs. the DVA 7996? Is there any difference except for the DVD option in the 7996?

I have heard concerns that the CDA 7998 has a weak subwoofer output... Is this true? Are these models software upgradable and are there upgrades?

Thanks

regards

Ashok

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2937
the sub pre-outs on all lof the alpines is weak.. ~1.8 volts versus teh advertised 4 volts.
the sub outs only reach 4 volts at peak volume, which is well into distortion range.
this is a known issue with Alpine, but is correctable via a line driver.
no, not software fixable.
the iPersonalize s/w is only for sound curves, time correction and things relating to the EQ and crossover of that nature.

Chennai, TN India

Post Number: 2
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Are there any other issues with the Alpine CDA 7998? Is there anything that I should watchout for apart from the weak sub pre-out?

What line driver would you recomend to fix the low voltage in the sub preout?

Thanks

Regards

Ashok

Chennai, TN India

Post Number: 3
Also how would you compare the Alpine 7998 with the Eclipse 8454? I have MTX amplifiers and in the past found out that high volt output actually creates a whine and the gain in the amp needs to be adjusted to cut down the whine effective cutting out the advantage of the high volt preouts.

Please let me know...

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 97
The gain of the amp has to be set for high volt outputs, with an 8V preout it should be close to minimum input sensitivity, anyway. That's the advantage, not having to turn the sensitivity of the amp all the way up, that's what creates more noise. ex. if you set the gain to max on an Eclipse head unit, then yes, if there is noise in the system, it will be louder w/ more voltage in the signal. That's also a sign that you need to recheck your head unit and amp ground. The Eclipse 8454 is better, by the way. (In my opinion)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3270
yup, I'd go CD8454 myself.
as for a line driver, if ya want one to boost or to attenuate the line signal, look at Audiocontrol.
most of tehir pre-amps, EQs, and signal processors all have built-in line drivers that are adustable.
They also make just a plain line driver as well if I recall.
www.audiocontrol.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us