Alt Q?

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 778
What amp alt should be run with a Rockford t20001bd and a little 4 channel?

This is fun buzzed

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1659
300 amp.

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 779
You really think 300 amp is needed for 2400 watts or so?

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 528
Yeah, 300 amp should be perfect as mentioned by Jake.

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 780
Hmmmm. ok well if that is what's neccesary. I was just thinking about Chad Lee and I didn't even think he had a 300?

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
Class A/b amps aren't very efficient, and that rockford will draw a sh!tload of current too, and account for all of your stock electronics.

You could probably get away with 260-280amp, depending on if they're made for you vehicle.

not sure what Chad has actually...

But, then again, Chad is a crazy man

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2407
Ben, you do not need a 300amp alternator. Right now I'm running 1 massive p3000.1 @ 2krms and 1 massive p800.4 @ 800rms. On cruise I don't get any voltage drop at all. At red lights is where it hurts. So my advice to you, 220-240 would be great. I would look into iraggi, ohio gen, and ho alts. Iraggi is probaly the one you'll choose due to price/performance ratio. If it was me, ask Iraggi to build you a 240 alt that does close to 200amps @ idle and you should be fine. If your more of a cruising ground shaker, the amps at idle doesn't matter much. But if you like to bump at red lights, idle is important. If you get a 220amp, you should have 175amps @ idle. Depending on vehicle of course.

Silver Member

Post Number: 533
With your 4 channel your looking at a maximum of ~80A of draw(depending on amp).
With your mono, your looking at a maximum of 250a of draw.

You should be able to do the math from there :-)

You would probably do fine with Berny's suggestion though, as he is more knowledgable than me.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2413
Not more so on the more knowledge. Its just from experience and asking Iraggi himself. Ben, if you want the best answer possible, and you decide to purchase from Iraggi, call him yourself and ask him. He will tell you which size will be best. Then ask if they can create more amps @ idle. I'm sure they can.

Gold Member
Username: Mygame5982

I Got Serious Wang H-..., TEXAS US

Post Number: 1554
yea..u dont need a 300amp alt..
mannnn i wish i could get a new alt right now!! sucks...ooo well..i can manage a lil while without one..but yea..listen to those guys above me!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11826
if you want the full power from that 2400 watt amplifier, you need to be able to supply about 250A of current for it, plus another 50 to 60A for the car itself, plus whatever any other amplifiers need in your car.
If you don't plan to use the amp to it's full potential, and only plan to use it at low to moderate volumes, at a fraction of it's full power, then you can get away with a smaller alternator.. maybe 200-240A.

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 783
Well this is for someone I'm working with. He has a 1994 Firebird. I was planning on having him talk to Irragi, I just wanted to get an idea here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us