OT: Bad gas mileage

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 133
Look man I'm gettin tired this sh!t I got a 95 Impala SS 5.7 350 V8 LT1 should be gettin 17 mpg in city but I'm only gettin 12 mp what the hell wrong with my car?

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 404
clean ALLL the filters, air filters, etc, idk if this is a legitimate difference but increasing air flow always helps out. My buddy with the same car as me put new headers, new exhaust, a new intake, and a new intake manifold, and he gets drastically better gas mileage than i do, my jeep cherokee 4.0L inline 6 gets like a whole 15 mpg TOPPS, gotta love the jeeps though

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 405
double check all the tire pressure, fill them to exact specs or like i did, fill them to 50 pounds if they rated at soemthin like 44 pounds, no joke, i actually feel a difference driving.

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 134
I got 22's I put 50 psi rear tires and 43 psi front tires just re-oiled my k&n filter changed plus and wires to hi-performace accel plugs and wires haven't put on msd distributor cap & rotor yet never changed my transmission filter, 02 sensors nor fuel filter

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11809
take the car to a shop and have it put on a diagnostic computer, although your gas mileage doesn't sound all that bad for an old LT1.

You don't know what bad fuel economy is, my friend.
My car gets 5MPG.

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 135
5MPG and gas high lke it is n u ain't even trippin unless u a millionaire r sumthin' what kinda car and why r u getting 5 mpg

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6058
That's not that bad for an old car. Here's the real truth about MPG ratings by the manufacturers. The numbers you see on the windows, are all overrated/inflated. I wouldn't say it's a total lie, but to get those ratings, you'd have to drive in a "test" environment where everything is flat, no stop signs and smog.
My Acura is suppose to give me 35-39MPG on highway and 31 in the city. In reality, I get around 20MPG. When the car was brand new, I'd say maybe 23MPG.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3967
also highway MPG ratigns are like isaac said flat, no stops and at 55MPH

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 139
55 or 70 when u say highway I think interstate wouldn't see nobody driving 55 mph on the interstate nor in houston

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11815
that's 5MPG on premium, by the way.
unless I go to the strip, then it's race fuel at $4.50/gallon

66 Charger with a 493cid big block

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2177
Can we get a link to your car Glass? I remember a while ago you were still working on it.. I want to see the progress you've made.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1321
12 mpg city is about right for a 350. My truck has a 4.3L V6 and gets about 13 city mpg.

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 188
lol my dodge neon gets on average 30mpg, most i've seen is 36

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10016
I only get 7 MPG so be happy you are getting what you are getting!

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11824
my site is down right now while I'm changing to a new host.

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 149
I'm happy I'm getting 12 instead 7 or 5 but it wasn't too long I was gettin 20 what is causing a 8 mpg loss? does high prformance parts like accell, msd, hypertech etc. use more gas than reg. autozone parts?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3975
what kind of truck do you have james

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10063
Dodge ram 2500 Quad cab on 35's

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10064
But I can justify it kinda because my truck is a work truck. It makes $1000+/day so its alright:-)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6060
That's some magic car! Feel free to send that baby my way!

Username: Wrencher

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 9
S.L.A.B., that LT1 350 probably just needs a tune up. I can tell you right now to be prepared to spend big money to get one. I've never had to tune up one of those yet and hope I never have to. I've talked to other mechanics that have and said they will never do another one. PIA!!

How long has it been since you got a tune up? Is your check engine (or service engine soon) light on?

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 152
just changed the plugs, and wires thats all and no my service engine soon light is not on

Bronze Member
Username: Wrencher

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 12
I hope you used AC Delco plugs and good quality wires. How long ago was the cap and rotor changed? That's the fun part of the tune up. Heh Heh Heh The tune up aint complete without it. Make sure the air filter is clean, and spray the MAF out with brake cleaner. Also, are you running a K&N filter? If so, throw that under the back wheel and run over it, then replace it with an OEM type.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10074
gladly Isaac:-)

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11833
SLAB; the parts themselves usually don't use more fuel, but a lead foot certainly will.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4366
that's why i love 4 cylinders and ricers

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 WANGER HE...

Post Number: 585
Remove foot from throttle some during acceleration and city mileage will be closer to highway mileage.

Silver Member

15 WANGER HE...

Post Number: 586
Also, tire pressire, correct allignment, clean filters, etc. are great starters. Where are you getting this milage from. The computer or working out the numbers when you fill up? I know some cars will tell you "instant mileage" and "average mileage". I would not trust this. I would work out the numbers when I fill up. In your case neither will be accurate because of the size of your wheels and the speedometer/odometer will not be correct. JMO

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 179
Working ot the numbers when I fill up

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 595
Still not accurate because your wheel and tire size throw off speedometer and odometer so the milage you are using in your calculation is incorrect. Put factory wheels and tires on the car and then try the milage.

Silver Member
Username: Sheriff

Post Number: 360
Longo, what type of work is your truck doing?

Silver Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Funky Town, TX United States

Post Number: 412
Yeah in my old ride I was getting 8mpg. I had to sell that thing. But I would say a good tune up and checking fluids and filters youd be good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us