Help me clarify something once and for all....

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 109
Ok, wow, i cant even believe im asking this...
I just bought 2 Alpine type R's if no one knew. I was wondering if i had say a Kicker 500 watt amp that was a 2 channel, does this mean that I can wire it somehow to have 500 watts going to each sub? Or, no matter what, only about 250 will be going to each sub? I have heard many different things that people have said, but i want to get this cleared up once and for all. Thanks in advanced!

Silver Member
Username: Smoke05

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 248
what model is the amp exactly...
if it is something like zx1000.2 the it will give you 500 per channel at 2 ohm, but i dont think they make it... if you have a zx550.2 then 275 per channel at 2 ohm.
but you should buy a mono amplifier i will say that the kicker zx1000.1 woul do the trick but those woofers can take more.

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 111
I think im getting the kicker zx1000.1 mono amp, but the question was is there a way to get 550 watts to each sub, which is ample amount for the Type R's, by wiring it a certain way? maybe at 1 ohm, would the 2 subs get 550 each?

Silver Member
Username: Smoke05

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 250
first you may one to post this on the subwoofer section, you may get more help, and the amp you get depends on the ohm configuration of your subs, if they are 4ohm (each) get an amp that is 1 ohm stable, if you have the 2 ohm version, get an amp that is 2 ohm stable... about the wiring go here:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11796
"500 watt amp" is a misleading statement.
most amplifiers put out different power dependng on the load presented.
example:
500 watts X 2 @ 4 ohms stereo
1000 watts X 2 @ 2 ohms stereo
2000 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged

there are a few exceptions, such as the JL Audio slash series which have a regulated output stage so they put out the same power regardless of load from 1.5 to 4 ohms.

what you need to do is figure out what your final load will be from the speaker(s) you choose, then compare that with the amp's power output at that stated load.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us