H/O Alt

Bronze Member
Username: Lowgan

Post Number: 28
if i dont have a H/O Alt and the rms on my amp is 3000 watts can this damage the amp or maybe even the sub? (Ill be getting a H/O Alt soon though)

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4949
It's certainly not going to help :P The damage will mostly be done to the current alt, though. How soon until you get a HO alt?

Bronze Member
Username: Lowgan

Post Number: 30
most likely a few weeks, my current alt is just 80 amps stock.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1223
Yeah, you will clip the hell out of your sub if you try to get 3000 watts from the amp with a stock alt.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6046
Keep the volume down till you get HO alternator.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11774
you'll run the risk of damaging the stock alternator and the speakers primarily.

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 110
what about a 105 amp alternator with a bd1500.1 in which the birth sheet says 1890 watts rms @ 2 ohm

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4981

quote:

what about a 105 amp alternator with a bd1500.1 in which the birth sheet says 1890 watts rms @ 2 ohm

The amp alone will need 137A, not to mention the 50-60A the car needs to run for a total of 187-197A. The alt probably puts out 80A @ idle, if even that.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1252
Yep, if that rating is at 14.4 volts you won't get anywhere near 1890 watts with a stock alt.

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Future 15 Wanger!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 1797
can i do like 1500 watts on a 109 amp alt cause logan is runnin like 2500 on 55 amp alt or sumthin like that

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 113
2500 on a 55 amp alt man is u serious or jokin?

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Future 15 Wanger!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 1798
serious

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1265
1500 is really pushing it, you really should get an HO alt.

And Logan may have a 2500 watt amp hooked up to a 55 amp alt, but it's physically impossible to actually get that amount of power.

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 120
aight then I'll get a 200 amp alt off ebay for 153.99+16.00 to ship

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1287
200 amps would be great, but what brand is that alt?

I ask because 153.99 is way low for a 200 amp HO alt, and if it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Bronze Member
Username: Riniflex01

Post Number: 16
Hey guy i have a JL audio 1000/1 amp and a 105 amp alternator

the fuse on the amp is 100 amps. Too much for this alternator????

Also instead of a H.O. Alt, u think an optima heavy duty battery would suffice???

my sub output fades in and out, hasnt been clippingn latly tho

any ideas???

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11807
that fading is probably the amplifier clipping.
a battery doesn't replace the need for an alternator.
you need about 50-60A over what your audio system draws to handle the car's needs from the alternator, so figure 150-160A mininum

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
alright i guess h/o alt it is

but do u guys know how to calculate how much the amp is actually using, i saw some number above. How did u calculate them?? Are the proportionate, amps:watts??

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 524
Unless you have an Ammeter, no, you cannot calculate the exact ammount of current your amplifier is drawing at any given volume. People on here go by the "Fuse Rating" of your amp, therefor it will be the MAX current draw of your amp giving you headroom to turn it up.

Watts = Volts x Amps x Efficiency(typically, .8 is a good number to use unless it is published on manufacturer website)

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 143
M.S. this is it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D180104338654

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 144
whats the least amsur alt. must be for a kicker 2500.1 and a punch T20001

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 145
whats the least your alt. must be for a kicker 2500.1 or a punch T20001

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1320
With that amount of power, I would run at least a 220 amp alt.

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 163
Jexx & M.S. the 12 volt.com says if ur gonna draw 1400 watts ur alt. needs to put out 188 amps. That tells me if I want 1800w rms i need 220 amps rms fom my alt. then u say my car needs 50-60 amps to run so i won't have nothing to charge my battery thats 280 amps just to bang and run the car if i wanna charge the batt. I'll need at least a 300 amp alt. just to run 1800 watts which will cost me $350 for a damn 300 amp alt. what a b!tch.

Bronze Member
Username: Bumpndatrunk

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 86
and how will idle power output play out in this im in the same boat as s.l.a.b. i looked at a ho/alt from motercity.com a 200amp one and it says it will idle at 80-100 amps will the watts from the ampo drop if the car is in idle

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11837
well, remember you won't really be using the full power of your amplifiers unless you're "burping" the system at SPL competition events, and msot events require the engine be turned off anyway, negating the alternator for that purpose.

every time you double the audible volume, you're drawing 6 to 10 times more power to achieve that increase, so working backward, a 2000 watt amplifier (2000 watts at whatever load it's presented, peak RMS) will only be putting out about 200-500 or so watts at half it's full volume. The power decreases from there as you turn down the volume, and most people don't use more than half volume for extended periods of listening to a system.
Now, also factor in that music is dynamic and has loud and quiet passages etc.. thus fluctuating the power levels with volume constantly, meaning it's not just a test tone drawing the same power consistantly.
All of this together tells you that a system rated at 2400 watts RMS, in real world terms, will usually be drawing far less than that.. maybe a tenth of that power for normal listening, even at what you'd consider high volume.

This is why you can get away with a smaller alternator than what would work for the rated power most times. Don't sweat it if you can only afford a 200A alternator. Just be careful when using the system, and watch for voltage drops. If you see a drop, or hear clipping in the speakers, turn down the volume.
easy peasy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The bass in my system fades in and out at all volumes, (not all the time though), and at the lower volumes im not using that much power, so is it possible that this "fading" is not being cause by the lack of amperage from the alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Holt_champ

Htown, MI

Post Number: 501
i was told that i would be fine with a 200 amp alt with a kx2500.1. do i need a biger ho alternator or would it be ok..

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 172
Phillp didn't u ead glass's post?

"Don't sweat it if you can only afford a 200A alternator. Just be careful when using the system, and watch for voltage drops. If you see a drop, or hear clipping in the speakers, turn down the volume.
easy peasy."

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11840
Riniflex01, it could be that the amp's gains are too high, overdriving the input stage of teh amp, still causing clipping regardless of volume level.

Silver Member
Username: Holt_champ

Htown, MI

Post Number: 528
ok so if i read that right did glass say that i would see the full power of my amp when im just driving around??

Silver Member
Username: Zero43

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 211
I'm trying to run a system that would run abour 3.5k rms currently I am only ablt to find 200amps and lower do you guys think I should continue to look around for something higher than that or just go with that

I read the earlier post but i do intend to run something higher than his as well as add a supercharger plus the fact that my car already has many more electronics than most cars

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2780
Get the biggest alternator you can find...... that's really all you can do. If it's not enough, you just won't be able to play the system at full volume constantly.

Silver Member
Username: Zero43

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 215
S.L.A.B. where did you find that 300 amp alternator at
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us