Is ALPINE 9813 good?

Last I have bought Alpine CDA-9813 to my skoda-fabia instead of the original ms-202. Now I am not sure if I did well. I considered if pioneer (deh 77?) of clarion 838 was not better choice. What do you think. Is that Alpine good choice?

Jindrich Fiala
Thank you, intersting opinions!

yes, the alpine is a great choice, i have chosen mostly alpine in all my previous application and i was highly impressed. my last cd player was a jvc and i like that one too. as long as it has the 4v preouts and all the features i like, im happy. alpine is a great choice for head units and signal processors. im not a big fan of their speakers, subwoofers, or amps by any means though.

HI GUYS

IM IN SOUTH AFRICA-AND THINKING OF BUYING A 9813 ALPINE, I DRIVE A GOLF 4 AND WONDERED IF IT HAS DUAL ILLUMINATION?

Costas S
By Costas S on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:22 am:
Hi Guys
I COME FROM GREECE AND I DRIVE BMW 520. I WONDERED IF CDA 9813 HAS GREEN/AMBER ILLUMINATION?

Anonymous
Buy them and you will know...

Jordan
Hi ppl I purchased a Alpine Cda 9813 just last week and all I have to say is HOLY CRAP its sooo nice I ve had many head units in the past but this is by far the best. The unit lights up Green by the way when ur changin the settings it turns like orange but the letter dispaly is blue

dbludvl
I have one in my Civic and all I can say is its a bang for the buck unit. Just wished that the illumination was reverse. Amber normal and green when you change settings coz my interior lights are amber.

Alpine are excellent- They are usually fairly simple wich I prefer, trying to drive and figure out complex head units is a good way to get in a wreck. I just think that they are great quality and they have usaully 4 to 5 models that are on the affordable side, wich I think is good for a company to have. I also would have to say that not enough people give credit to Kenwood Head Units. In Seattle Washington they are the top seller.

Alpine's signature color is green, as it always has been. No, the illumination is not switchable.
the feature set and build quality for the 9813 is terrific. I use one in my grand cherokee's system, and by doing so, have eliminated the need for my older Alpine 3401 parametric EQ in fact.
as for JVC, they are nice, but they have serious issues with their tuners.
Kenwood.. ehh, the reason nobody gives them credit is because they have lousy reliability and always have. When they can learn to build a product for home or car that won't fall apart within a year, they'll get a lot more recognition. They are nearly as poorly made as Sony, though they'd have to be quite a bit worse to hit that mark.

Jordan
I was over in England a few months ago and I stumbled upon a Alpine Cda 9813 Head Unit which was Red Illumination Instead of Green If I had the chance I would trade out mine with the red lighting cuz my car interior is all red.

hey if you can find them, Denon used to offer light bulb sleeves for their head units that allowed you to choose from up to 12 or so different colors for the display illumination.
back around 1990, I took an Alpine 7905 apart and changed the green buttons to orange to match the lighting in the Festiva I used for IASCA events at the time. Back then, everything alpine was pure green, so it turned some heads.. anyway, it's an idea you could try, if you're daring enough to pull that $400 head unit apart to mess with it :)
granted, back in the day that 7905 with the Burr-Brown DACs was about $650.
best of luck!

Anonymous

Just to let you know that 'Glass Wolf' is talking out of his backside and has not obviously read the manual. Yes you can change the display from Green to Amber its in the setup via the "F" button. Education is a wonderful thing......

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 661
I just re-read the manual, and I stand by what I said.
the display is fixed green.
the only time the four buttons to the left of the volume knob turn to amber is during adjustment of settings such as EQ presets.
Display change settings are on pages 23 and 24 of the manual, and I don't see anything there about illumination changes between green and amber.
I also went through all of the F/SETUP options on the 9813 itself and haven't found any settings for illumination on the 9813.

Unregistered guest
I am looking for instructions on how to operate the cda 9813. It came with the 4runner I bought from my niece and she cannot seem to find time to bring me over the intructions. Busy soccor mom, balet, cub scouts etc.... I am beginning to figure out that I bought a really good radio with a 4 wheel drive box to listen to it in. Anybody got a quicky set of instructions for me?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1306
www.alpine1.com
you can download the manual in PDF format

Pete
Unregistered guest
I have to take a second to stand up for kenwood head units in hear. I have to say that I only have experience with the excellon line they produce. I have owned and installed many and I am still using the Kenwood x811 that I purchased in 1998. It is the unit with the motorized rotating face and that even works perfectly.

Switchable illumination and good sounding options for the price.

-Pete

Anonymous

I'll stand up for the digifine JVC decks, great unit. and I have no idea what glASS wolf is speaking about a when he claims "they have serious issues with their tuners", the tuner on the kd-sh99 has worked flawlessly for 3 years now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1397
the tuners fail or perform poorly in many (most) JVC units. compared to other brands, the performance and sensitivity of the JVC is very poor.
I just replaced one in my own Jeep last year.
Other than that, the Digifien products are nice.

Anonymous

hi,i got a cda 9813 with green illumination but i wanted to change it to amber to match the interior. i was just wander how you change the illumination from green to amber.

jc

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1718
you don't.
alpines are green.
amber is only when changing settings on the 9813

Username: Jchan

Post Number: 1
does anyone know how to change the setting from green illumination to amber for alpine cda 9813. thanks
jc

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1728
I just answered you.

Username: Timmayyyy

Pasadena, CA U.S.

Post Number: 8
ahhahahaha.. *shakes head*..

someTIMes, you WONDER if people CAN READ?? =4

Bronze Member
Username: Steveo

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 18
Hello all,

Finaly purchased Alpine CDA-9813 4/16/04. By now many of you have read about this Head Unit (HU) and the resident wiz (GlassWolf) talks highly of this HU.

All of the above is why I purchased this HU. Between forums and product reviews, all agree this deck is a great buy. While not the flashiest deck in the bunch, the functionalities on this HU are outstanding (personally used similar alpine HU w/sub cntrl and time correction CD only). So where and how much?

Where? Circuit City
When? 4/16/04
How much? 219.00 (open box)

Other places to find Alpine CDA-9813
-Best $ online ~$299-$355
-Ebay $200-$325 (carful bidding... SCAMs)

Similar products used... Alpine CDA w/ time cntrl

Q1. Why must I tap ALPINES "maybe" 16 awg to the 10-12 awg most people suggest running to battery i.e. power and ground?

My main concern is NOISE in the system - noise drives me crazy. Regardless if I use the power from the deck, I will likely run the bigger awg wire i.e. 10 - 12 awg.

Thanks in advance,
SteveO

Installed? Not yet 4/16/03)...

Bronze Member

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 19
BTW The new ALPINE CDA-9833 seems the new version to the 9813...

In fact, the new CDA-9833 has the highly regarded and wanted "changing face colors". I myself have no problem with OG ALPINE green.

However, I am sure there are more differnces. Please check with your local dealer or one of the locals here at Ecoustics.

Take care,
SteveO

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1992
"Q1. Why must I tap ALPINES "maybe" 16 awg to the 10-12 awg most people suggest running to battery i.e. power and ground?"

because the unit's Vdrive amplifier internally draws about 15A of current, and that's enough to melt the tiny 22AWG wiring used in most fuseboxes and harnesses in factory wiring.
current capacity for wire is based on a few things including distance run, gauge, and number of strands. 10AWG is recommended for 15A for the 8 to 12 feet of wire you usually use to get from the head unit to the battery terminal to avoid overheating the wire, causing clipping in the amplifier, and damaging the speakers and amp in the radio. make sense?

"My main concern is NOISE in the system"

get a good solid chassis ground then, as close to the unit as possible.

Bronze Member

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 20
Always great advise and explanations GlassWolf. I built my box and installed the amp and deck. NO NOISE!!! YEA BABY!!! Finally, a system without the whine. I did run the 10AWG that you mentioned above. I have been going with what you have said from the start and it has yet to fail me. Thank you soooo much.

The alpine deck is outstanding. The sound quality is great and has not skipped at all yet. MP3's sound so great I haven't even tried a reagular audio CD. Thanks again -SteveO

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2096
glad it worked for ya.

on a side note, if you run amplifiers and a heavy power cable from the battery, you can tap into that ehavy power cable at the distribution block to feed that alpine unit as well for the power feed.
as long as the wire gauge is sufficient, and a direct feed, it doesn't always have to go straight to the battery terminal if you have a closer large gauge feed that is more easily tapped into.

Username: Oomrkenoo

Post Number: 10
glasswolf can you guide me on how to put 10 gauge and ground on the decks Vdrive. Thanks alot. =)

GermanGuy
Unregistered guest
Hi there, I'm just reading through some english posts on the 9833. So many suggestions on how to wire the thing which is absolutely NOT nessesary if you want the best sound. First of all, I guess everyone serious about car audio uses an external amplifier. For that reason, turn off the alpine internal-amp (it's possible with 9833, 9813 I don't know), to have more power available for your external amplifier. There should be no noticeable difference in sound quality if running the thing with or without the internal apms while driving the signal through an external amplifier. SO turn them off completely and forget about the cable issue.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3155
" (it's possible with 9833, 9813 I don't know),"

yes, the internal amp can be disabled on both models, or any Alpine unit with a Vdrive amplifier built into it.

" turn off the alpine internal-amp to have more power available for your external amplifier."

incorrect. the reason the internal amp is turned off is to decrease heat generated by the internal amplifier, to increase sound quality by decreasing related distortion and signal degradation.

" There should be no noticeable difference in sound quality if running the thing with or without the internal apms while driving the signal through an external amplifier."

that's the entire reason the internal amp can be turned off.
to decrease heat, and improve SQ.

"SO turn them off completely and forget about the cable issue"

you apparently didn't read the thread very well. These users are employing the internal amplification for their speakers, so they don't need to buy a 4 channel amplifier. IF they use the Vdrive internal amp, then they di need to use a 10AWG line from the battery to the head unit, since the unit draws up to 15A continuous, which will literally melt the wiring in a factory radio harness if it doesn't blow the fuse in the circuit at the fuse box. Factory harnesses use 22 to 20 gauge wire on average, which is far too small for that sort of current.

I guess Alpine doesn't print a manual for those units in German, or you just chose not to read it and pipe in with your two cents anyway.

GermanGuy
Unregistered guest
...looks like you got me on this one couple times. sorry, should have read the manual, even you are right there is no german section....

...but just wanted to say that I don't really believe in those high power internal amps. I mean at 14.4 volts, hmmmm

GermanGuy
Unregistered guest
i guess being a crazy German i get a bit confused sorry GlassWolf i bow to your greatness
Hial.

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 44
GermanGuy, are you goose-stepping around your house right now? funny image i must say.

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 31
LOL

Anonymous

ze Germans are coming

Bronze Member

City of Angels

Post Number: 47
I realize, in part from other threads, that the 5:30pm post was not the real GermanGuy. I thought you were poking fun at yourself, and I joined in. I meant no offense, but I apologize anyway.

I was just picturing the Fawlty Towers episode, "The Germans" I think it is, where Basil Fawlty (John Cleese) goose-steps around the hotel after bumping his head. Pretty outrageous and hilarious.

The German people are welcome on this board. But are the English? That's my question. ;-)

Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 2
Thanx Hairball!

no apologies nessessary...while trying to be entertained, also hope to be of some use around this board.

To the english people: anyone seen "actually love..." with hugh grant and liam neeson? finally another real good brit-movie I really enjoyed!!! specially recommended while watching with your honey:-) in the end you can't help but liking those islanders....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
so whats your problem with us from England Hairball?

Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 3
three lions on the shirt........?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
5-0 ah ha

Bronze Member

City of Angels

Post Number: 53
problem with England? nothin, i'm just bustin your bizzalls.

actually, me grand ma-ma's a cockney, mum's born in glostershire. me, i got born here in the yoo-nited states of 'merica.

i don't really know where home is. grandma tells me i can still move to jolly ol' england and become a citizen. whaddya think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
i think you should stay where you are Hairball unless you want to pay LOADS OF MONEY for your car audio equipment, example...
infinity referece subs (1230) $79.99, over here £140 thats about $250!
kicker comps are equivelent to $180 here
sony(sucks) xmd1000p5 retails here for £300 thats over $500
i would also try to put you off by reminding you that you would have a feckin muppet leading your country in the form of tony blair but i guess you have problems of your own in that department with GW bush!

Bronze Member

City of Angels

Post Number: 54
just read on reuters.com that bush fell off his bike onto his face. he must have passed out again, just like when he supposedly choked on the pretzel and "fainted." yeah right. reagan, quayle, bush X 2. i just don't understand how they get elected. i do like the muppet image. bush can't enunciate as well as a muppet tho. let's help him say nuclear. "Nook-yu-lar" It's not his IQ that scares me, it's the IQ of the folks that voted for him.

How about his taunting of the terrorists by telling them to "bring it on!" What a complete idiot. Apparently, there's a village in Texas that's missing its idiot.

Did anyone see the Frontline program examining his evangelical beliefs? Pretty frightening. As Dana Carvey would say, "it's scary."

rant off.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3171
I won't even start on how much worse Kerry is than Bush could ever be.

Anyway no big deal on the 9813. I have one in my Jeep, so I've read the manual front to back several times. Honestly, I'd rather see more manuals printed in German than we seem to have in Spanish around here.

I have a German friend who actually met this American girl I know and moved to the US so they could get married. He and I joke around a lot about the differences between life there and here.
There's a girl I used to see now and then also who grew up in East Germany till she was 19 when the wall came down. She ended up coming to the US with a soldier she married then subsequently divorced.. talk about some stories though.. getting her to talk about life in East Germany is fascinating stuff.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
my uncle was posted out to germany with the british army in the 80's and i remember as a young lad going to visit him there, as he had full army clearence to go into east germany (behind the wall)he took me through to see how life was for the east germans and it was an eye opening experience for me, on one side of the wall they had prosperity and hope yet on the other they were torn apart by poverty and dispare, these people were once part of the same comunity but were parted through no choice of there own, when the wall came down it was a joyous occasion for all but the rest of the world didnt take note, or at least sharron over in israil didnt, he might be putting his wall up for a different reason but its the people that will suffer, i think he is only adding fuel to the fire, but thats just my opinion.
cainer.
p.s... JL'S rule!

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 78
Thank you, someone finally gets off Bush's back (in comparison to Kerry) keep in mind people think the president in power is the one that affects what happens now and deserves all the blame. Really, Clinton wasn't all that fantastic. His "excellent" economy was from Reaganomics. What Bush did will take affect in the next presidential term (which looks like it will be Kerry, unfortunately)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us